Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Mynes tuned....is yours? Mine's broke!

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Camaro, Nov 21, 2011.

1. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Please, make this stop. Please!!!! Stop reporting posts. All two of you. Find what ever it is deep inside you that would make you stop and just stop!!!

2. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #142 Rixter, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
    I'm happy with my JCW tune. It ain't gonna win me any races, but it gets me to/from the hockey rink just a little bit quicker.

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    The use of ENDYN in my response posting was to be able to establish re-searchable facts I presented with my statement from a source that is recognized in the Performance Engine machine Shop community, MINI community and has an excellent and flawless record of machine work performed.
    Maybe I should have used VALLEY ENGINE ?

There are a few points I was making with that response..

It is NOT common for engine builders to invoice everything they machine.
    It is NOT common to invoice final output of an engine
    There is a description variance with customers on what constitutes a Performance engine build.
    The total paid invoice was agreed upon and paid. That finalized transaction paid would have nothing to do with facts of a engine demise. We have not really seen the detailed invoice parts break down that I am aware?

VERY OLD FACT:
    Chili-PA and others,
    I am not and have not been in the retail vendor, business, chargeable mechanic service, and have sold nothing but privately owned parts for a few years now. If you know otherwise please let me know so I can collect some money owed. It really gets old from a few like yourself and some forums that continues insinuating and posting I am. Now you have it posted by me for all to see. When and if that ever changes MA will be the first to know.
    Designing, engineering parts, modifying existing parts by way of improvement does not constitutes a business.
    As I have said the best phrase is "Believe nothing you are told and half what you see"!
    Research your idea's and facts presented.

This threads topic incident (imo)will NEVER see the walls of a limited jurisdiction civil case in California. It lacks so much that anyone pursuing it would waste the California Courts Time and the Plaintiffs money.
    And I doubt the trouble will be taken for a small claims hearing either? The parties are to far apart for any mutual satisfied court jurisdiction.
    Posting 3rd hand information like an ominous threat the way I see it is not utilizing the internet to learn how the judicial system works in California.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Just my opinion

I'd have to respectfully disagree with this. ^

Any engine work I have ever had done listed every single thing done & every part used down to the last left handed whitworth widget. IMHO any reputable builder, machine shop or tuner who does not list all things is either sloppy or maybe padding the bill.

Disclaimer: I know nothing of the builder/builder's of the melted engine in this thread. These are just my thoughts on what I would expect from a reputable builder, shop or tuner.

Back on topic..... M/A's longest thread :popcorn:

5. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #145 MINI Fireman, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
    This entire saga reads to me as a former trusted fanboy of the tuners & builders being taken advantage of until he finally wised up (admittedly, only after being taken for a lot of $). The OP clearly should have better prepared & presented his evidence, but that certainly doesn't automatically disprove his assertions either. The attempts by apparent proxies for the offending parties to discredit & obfuscate the OP & his evidence is shameless to say the least.

I'd suggest that anybody reading this should see it for what it is...a cautionary tale to not let blind allegiance keep you from doing your due diligence before spending large sums of money with any vendor/business. Check them out, get a description of the EXACT work to be performed in clearly worded writing & immediately follow up on any problems. Document, document, document.

I for one won't be spending my own money or advising anybody else to spend theirs, with those that the OP did business with in this incidence. They appear to me to be nothing less than scam artists.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Starting with the very first engine I had done back with an '84 GTI way back in '85 I've always had detailed invoices for every little thing down to the nuts, bolts and even assembly lube.

In this day an age when creating an invoice on a PC with any of the myriad of invoicing software packages out there there is no excuse to not present a full and proper detailed invoice listing all the parts and labor.

I guess when you threaten to sue people as much as you do you know the ins and outs of the legal system.

7. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    So it appears anything goes in this thread so...........this statement is total BS! If the mods are going to allow statements like this then????? Mynes and ABF have been doing business for years now and one thread pops up and now they are "scam artist's". This is nothing more than a witch hunt.

8. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    #148 jiminni, Nov 27, 2011
    Why bother?

9. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I needed the laugh.

I know you & your benefactors would like this all to go away, but the builders & tuners clearly had quite a bit of time to resolve this with the OP before it become a public airing of laundry (from what I understand, admittedly).

I've quoted myself & bolded the appropriate part for you. As you can see, that statement is clearly MY opinion. One to which I'm as entitled as anybody else here to make.

10. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Jiminni, didn't you say back on page 5 that you wish the OP well, and that you were "out". If you and Lynn would quit posting about this the others wouldn't have to keep coming back at ya'll... The OP had a problem. He is telling everyone about it. People started asking him questions to help him figure it out as to who, or what was at fault.. Now you and Lynn keep posting stuff that doesn't really pertain to the OP thread but as you know people will and are coming back at ya'll... You and Lynn should take a couple of days off of this thread and just see where it goes.. It might just end until the OP has more info to share..

11. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    I've been watching this and the NAM thread (not M/T, theres just so much repitition I can take), in the begining the OP asked for others with similar or negative issues to speak out, I haven't seen but one more even after the hundreds of customers that the either of these companies have had.

Just seems interesting to me.

12. MINI Fireman

MINI Fireman New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    #152 MINI Fireman, Nov 27, 2011
    It's not all that surprising to me. I think that the problem in most of these "he said/he said" complaint type of threads is that many people are afraid to make the admission that they may have made a poor choice & "wasted" a bunch of their hard-earned money (the embarrassment factor). The other issue is the difficulty in proving what had taken place and accurately affixing the blame (as clearly demonstrated here).

Not to get too far off track, but I know that my similar personal experience is jumping in on the M62 kit as an early adopter. I experienced similar, but thankfully not as catastrophic results (mostly due to tremendous help by Waylen of WayMotorWorks - mentioned to give credit where it is due).

As I mentioned in the earlier post, this thread to me is a cautionary tale & nothing more. The rest, according to the OP's posts, will be resolved (or not) outside of this forum in the real world. Others experience with the builder & tuner may be different than the OP's. That is to be expected. Now the readers of this thread can consider themselves forewarned.

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Umm 3rd party information? You may want to read back a few pages. You will see JASON posted a reply.

14. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    #154 Camaro, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    I am back home now guys

^ Answered

Below are points of Grim's post that are false/wrong

How come a freshly built MINI put down 240whp.

After talking to various engine builders (ford, chevy, mopar, honda, mitsu) I know modern engine machining techniques have made ring seating happen in the first 45 minutes at 2000-3000rpm under dyno load.

Same as the above quoted part. I have talked to people who build race engines. The oil consumption is absolutely dead wrong. One builder (builds circle track, drag, modified, stock car, road race engines) said "Oil doesn't make power only fuel. Oil is meant to keep things smooth and cool in a race. Half a quart at 5,000 miles to none on race day is acceptable."

I spent May-August calling, leaving voicemails, texting Hubie. I can count the times Hubie picked up the phone or responded on one hand. Then I don't have the number of times of voicemails/phone calls unreturned in both hands and feet. I am an extremely patient person, and supposedly Hubie had personal stuff going on after asking other people what was going on. They just told me he is VERY VERY BUSY and EXTREMELY HARD to get a hold of....of course thats my whole entire problem at that point. I even talked to Dez and Grim (Mike@ABFtech) but as I found they are not in direct partnership with ABF Performance so all they could do was help me get a hold of Hubie. Which I found it a bit of a hassle but if it took having a middle man to get into contact with Hubie so be it I did that. I wrote this post and one other version over the course of 3 months... hastened post I don't think so. I even had help from a PhD in English and Rhetoric with the first version which proved to be way to wordy and emotional after seeing the course of other threads on boards I watched before posting. Which is where I found fan bois who will only pick out anything they feel is wrong or don't agree with which has happened with this post. Lead me to post this version.

Are you serious. I changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or on return from cross country travel. I would replace 3+ quarts between oil changes on account of the consumption. How do you find any of that irresponsible in the maintenance of the car on my part?
    Again with the lack of support I had to seek out other people to troubleshoot issues. Hubie dismissed the drop in compression as ring alignment and that it would correct itself with driving. So that pretty much was the ok from the builder to go ahead and drive it to the dragon. I DID NOT RACE ANYONE.

Who have you been talking to because what Hubie told me over the phone was that I could get any spec measurement (ring gap, piston to wall, etc) Then he told me that if and when ever I get to finally rebuilding the motor give him a call for parts.

15. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Compiled the only dyno sheets I have of my car Stock tune, Stock/Mynes Tuned, Mynes Tuned.

Sept 22 2007 - mods - 16%pulley, 2% WMW Crank pulley, M7 AGS V3, One-ball

[​IMG]

January 16 2010 - mods - 16% pulley, OEM 06 Crank pulley, DT BPV, Catless megan header, Borla Race, 550cc injectors, mynes tune

[​IMG]

February 2010 - mods - unchanged

[​IMG]

16. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Alex Thanks for posting answers to my questions. It is very informative to see what really happened from the customers point of view.

I still think you should file a legal claim. You at the very least deserve 1/2 your money back.

Let this be a hard lesson to everyone else so they do NOT take the trip down the wrong Path to Power.

17. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    It really answers no questions as to what was the demise of the engine. It is subjunctive to say the least. Curious how other forums will respond to less interested members if you catch my meaning :wink:

18. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Why not just be blunt and open. it works better.

19. Camaro

Camaro New Member

May 5, 2009
    Industrial designer
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I will be taking the bottom end to a machine shop for formal mechanical analysis. So I will be posting the signed and dated paperwork of the analysis.

20. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    I think that this may get deleted or viewed as none or off topic but really there are to many personalities involved here. I can not ask questions without some here as well other forums thinking I have not a clue about engines or that I have an agenda, belong to a fan club etc. Really you would be surprised as to how neutral I am about most occurrences having to do with MINI's. You may notice I don't jump into many threads anywhere. And it is because of this dilemma of support questions accusations why I don't. I think I have been open with invitations to publically talk about MINIs with anyone. So blunt you say.... answer my questions and we will be "cool" avoid them and I personally think either you just do not know or are hiding some facts . There you go plain and simple.
    Really at this point I don't care people are going to believe who they want anyway ..................................
    I simply wonder what you and others were doing in 2001 with regards to BMW/MINI's?

button end only????
    Camaro I will look forward viewing a shop bold enough to submit a written and signed cause damage report assessment!