Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Mystery springs...help me figure these things out

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Steve, May 16, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I've had a set of springs for a few years now and I don't know much about them. Maybe someone reading knows a few details of their history, etc, and is willing to share.....

Here are the front springs:
    [​IMG]

And these are the rears:
    [​IMG]

I think they're all but unused because (as I think I was told back when when I acquired them) they were removed from a MINI right after delivery and replaced by something else. I assume the markings on the springs tell something about the source MINI.

Everything else I know comes from the markings which are not enough to tell me their whole story and (as you'll see in the case of the rears) confusing.

Markings on the fronts: Eibach 08/04 - JOHN COOPER MOTORSPORT - JCW 195 FRONT SPRING.

Markings on the rears: Eibach 08/04 - JOHN COOPER MOTORSPORT - JCW 196 REAR SPRING. The rears also have paper tags and one is intact; it reads: JOHN COOPER Motorsport - JCW 197B - Bilstein Rear Spring 2004 Spec-Universal. Eibach or Bilstein?

I guess I'm looking for any information I can get on their origin and/or use, an explanation of the contradictory markings on the rears and, of course, spring rates.

So, any help out there?

2. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I looked on realoem.com (I'm sure you did also) and nothing available info wise without VIN. Or;

"The choice of proper coil springs depends on the options installed on your vehicle. Refer to your local BMW dealer for details."

I am only guessing that these are factory installed springs and have no idea as to the different lables or uses.

Baiscally I'm no help at all:eek:.

3. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't John Cooper Motorsports the independent part of the Cooper Works factory that BMW didn't buy out? I can't find any website for them but I remember hearing about other parts from them.
    Perhaps a call to Eibach can shed some light on them?

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    The guy told me about their intended use but couldn't tell me anything about the rates or the shocks/struts with which they were originally mated. I put them on a shelf planning to learn more before deciding what to do with them and then forgot I had them until now.

Seems like he said they were removed from a set of coilovers designed for a Challenge car.....something like that.....which might explain why I was interested in a set of springs about which I knew no important details.

I suppose contacting Eibach might be the best idea.....should have thought of that myself (thanks).

5. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, using the Challenge car clue I found a .pdf at this site (About a third way down the page): ts’ racing sport report MINI Challenge Club Sport R53 Race Cars in Detail

The section of the rules regarding the spring reads:
    Mind you this relates to the R53 and is translated from German, it also mentions KW but not Eibach so I don't know if it's any help.

6. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
  7. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip; I sent him an email. Have you dealt with him yourself?

8. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Yes, he has answered JCM questions for me in the past, he has a sense of humor. It may take a few days or a week for him to respond.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Since I'm not in a big hurry, that works. I'll post answers here.....if I get any.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any good info, please post up.

thanks

10. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I heard back from Tony:

So, they were from an Eibach spring + Bilstein shock setup spec for the '04 Challenge, and they're apparently suitable as replacement springs over stock struts/shocks. I'm going to ask him whether he knows any other details to help determine their effect as stock spring replacements, etc, but so far so good!

11. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Nice! Info is cool.

12. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    I doubt the front spring seat coil will fit the lower spring perch of an OE strut.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    That rang true as soon as I read it, but I pulled my old set of OE struts off the shelf to confirm.....they definitely don't look like direct swap candidates. I wonder what Tony was thinking of when he said they'll fit as direct replacements.

14. GrAy RaVeN

GrAy RaVeN New Member

How about a call to Bilstein instead of Eibach....they must have contracted out to Eibach for these springs....so maybe they can set you up with a price of Bilstein coilovers these go to.

And if I am not mistaken, all 1st Gen JCW Sport Suspensions are a Bilstein set up....so maybe they were removed from a JCW ?