NAM Site Blocked as "ATTACK PAGE"

Discussion in 'MINI' started by goaljnky, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Welcome aboard Chief! What took you so long? Joined in 7/09 and the first thing I noticed was the absence of BS and snarking. However, I sure hope some of those NAM files aren't lost! Think there's any way to move DSOC here? :Thumbsup:

DSOC #506th

2. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    DSOC is now under the forum "color" where we can post pictures of our cars. That is one of two reasons that I still go to NAM to update new requests and the other is for the Marketplace. Other then that it is so nice to have someone that does not allow for the voice of "one" to drown out the voice of many. Voting is open now and yes that is my DS in the mix this month 'Master Blaster"

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd not go so far as bad blood but more of a difference in philosophies when it comes to forum management. There really is no caught in the middle, both sites have their strengths and weaknesses. The body of work over there is immense and a good source and the Marketplace is larger, just due to there being a larger pool to "market" too. This issue they are having will pass, all the data will still be there. The major difference is that this site doesn't have the layers of management and support allowing for it to be much more responsive and proactive.

4. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    "Master Blaster" already has my vote and thanks for the "color" tip. BTW, did you know that Master Blaster is the term for an Airborne Jump Master? He's the guy that kicks cowards like me out the door! LMAO :D

5. Tron Chief

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    You ever seen a pissed off Master Chief:incazzato: :cool: :ihih: :devil:

You have to wonder when the Master Chief tells you "Watch this it's going to be funny" :D

6. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    LOL. They'd laugh at us. The guy responsible for NAM sponsors treats me like a piece of dirt.

7. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Ha.....
    That's a customer relationship policy I'm not familiar with. I wonder if I'm missing business opportunities by being behind the curve? Learn something new every day.

8. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Yes...I have seen a Pissed Off Master Chief!

The Days were Long and Not Fun!:frown2::mad2:

9. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    My big problem is that customers have sent me PMs on NAM, somehow they can get on, but I can't respond so now I look like I'm ignoring them.

10. Tron Chief

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: Now I drive my car to work have a smile on my face and go home with as many twisties as possible :D Counting down until Jun 5th of 2012 when I retire from the Navy after 30 years. :beer

11. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly what I had been noticing the last few months. Every link in Google's results gave a warning when clicked. They were always https links.

12. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    People are so much nicer here than NAM.:Thumbsup:

13. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    They can get through by clicking to ignore the warning, and someone said IE gives no warning for the site.

If you need to respond to your PMs, there may be some workarounds you can do. For example, I think browsing NAM from a smartphone would be immune from these types of malware. Nathan do you know? Also some public PC's such as in libraries are set up to start from a clean slate for each user.

14. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    No spy either.

I have no axe to grind, but it seemed to me in the past the moderation on NAM had gotten pretty heavy handed. Of late they seem to be a kinder gentler moderation team. I believe they drove more than a few folks away. I hope they can win some back. IMHO it is a good site/resource as is this one.

15. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    No way you would ever be accused of ignoring anyone. I do understand your concern.

16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting reports from our club members that they continue to get the pop-up attack warning for all subsequent pages, even after selecting the "ignore" link. (Not sure which browsers are associated with these reports.)

The more onerous outcome for the vendors is that it is likely a small percentage of folks who are actually willing to wade through the warnings and put their machines at risk in order to browse the business links there. I imagine most folks' course of action is just to avoid the site while it's functioning as a Typhoid Mary. I know I'm in that camp right now. Those who are already aware of their favorite vendors can just access them directly, but the vendors are losing out on impulse shoppers.

17. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    If I couldn't get pass the Pop-Up Attack...I would go to the Vendor's website to contact the Vendor for products.

18. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I mean if I had PM'd you (vendor) on NAM and I didn't get a response back...I would directly call you (vendor) or email you (vendor) via your website...People will understand.

19. Dwight

Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    NAM doesn't seem to be in any particular hurry to clean up their act! :incazzato:

20. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    My CPU is too important for me to ignore the warnings, I'll wait till they fix it.:frown2: