Entertainment Electronics 2nd Gen NAV Map Update question. (R59)

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by RubyTheRoadster, Sep 9, 2017.

1. RubyTheRoadster

Apr 28, 2015
    Retail
    Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So is there a way to update the maps yourself, for less then the dealer? I have an '15 roadster and my dealer wants like $500 to update the maps. So of course I have put it off, now I have a date in Canada on Monday and I was hoping to update them myself for less the the dealer. (I do have a Garman from my other car, it cost like $500 when new and came with free lifetime north American maps that I can use if need be)

So dose anyone know where I can get my hands on the maps and how to install them?

2. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    As I understand it, the maps are generally available they won't work on your car unless you have a VIN-specific unlock code. The scheme to create the unlock code has been hacked and there was an official vendor on NAM selling update maps at low prices. This vendor kept a low profile with no website, only a gmail address. However, I see that the vendor is no longer there (probably taken down by BMW).

So to answer your question, yes there are cheaper sources for maps out there but you may have to find them on the dark web and give payment in bitcoins...

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
  4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings: