Suspension Brakes Most liked posts in thread: Need Advice! Stripped lower shock mount!

1. miniconcarne

miniconcarne New Member

May 5, 2009
    Machinist
    Home
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Do you have room to get at it with drill?

If it was me, I would look into using a Keensert (better than a Helicoil).
    Stronger than the aluminum and easy to install.

See if the machine shop has some or can get some. You will need room to drill and tap the control arm to accept the insert.

Example:
    Keenserts - Keensert Key-Locking Inserts, Keysert Keylocking Inserts, Miniature Key-Locking Inserts, Thinwall Lightweight Key-Locking Inserts, Extra Heavy Duty Key-Locking Inserts, Lokserts, Tridair, Alcoa, Fairchild Fasteners, Maryland Metrics

2. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    ditto

what he said exactly! even if you had to take the arm off, that would be the way to do it, not replace it

3. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I've seen this a couple times before. That's why I always start those bolts by hand.

I'd put in a keensert, or take the arm off and have a machine shop fix it. those arms are expensive.

4. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
  5. NAProf

NAProf New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    College Professor
    Severna Park, MD
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey thanks for all the feed back. Seems this site is much better for technical quesions than that other site :Thumbsup:. Based on miniconcarne's suggestion I looked into keenserts and agree it is likely the way to go. So I am off to the garage to take the trailing arm off so I can take it to work tomorrow and talk to the machine shop guys about how to make this happen (I am an engineer, but rely heavily on these guys telling me how things really are).
    Cheerier than last night,
    Greg

6. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    A good learning experience for your boy, have him remove the arm so he can learn about what he did....

I agree with the insert, even tho this is a critical place, the insert will make the threads stronger if done right. Letting the machine shop guys do it is a smart way to go, they work with this stuff all day so their expertise means it has a good chance of being done right. On re-assebly, patience and hand start all fasteners is the lesson for your son, if it doesn't feel right, pull it out, look carefully, and try again till it does - one that will serve him all his life

7. jeff@txwerks

jeff@txwerks New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You may also be able to find a TimeCert the correct size. We used these on a stripped out spark plug and they are way better than helicoil. We bought them at hrpworld.com - they come with the tap tool and you specify the timecert size.

Regards,

[email protected]

8. NAProf

NAProf New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    College Professor
    Severna Park, MD
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got it fixed - Thanks for the help.

A big thanks for all of the timely advice on fixing my problem. I ended up pulling the trailing arm and taking it to work, The machinst there said they would use a Helicoil because the trailing arm is aluminum and the bolt would hold fine in that (and they thought they had the size I needed). Turns out I had to order the M14x1.5 size from McMaster-Carr, but got it next day. So the boys drilled it out to 9/16th, tapped it with the supplied tap, and then used blue lock-tite for a little added assurance when they threaded in the insert. Worked great. And while I was waiting for that to happen I called Way (Way Motor Works) and he sent me a set of H-Sport bushings to replace the ones Alta supplied on my 19mm rear sway bar. They give smoother operation and have a fitting for periodic greasing.
    So in the end it all worked out and both my son and I have learned some lessons. He knows to thread bolts with his fingers to begin and I know to give better instructions when I am getting rookie help.

Cheers,
    Greg