1st Gen R53 Cooper S Need help!...where does this vacuum line connect?

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by clifforddward, Mar 26, 2014.

1. clifforddward

clifforddward Active Member

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully someone with an R53 can help...I am finishing up a major service / modification project on my 2004 MCS...in the process I have ended up with a vacuum line that I cannot figure out where to connect. It is the "soft" line that is connected at the right (Passenger) end of the intake manifold...on the inside facing the engine block. Line is about 8-10" long, and has a right angle press on connector on the free end. I left this attached to the intake manifold when I took things apart, so I know that is belongs on the intake manifold....but where does it connect to on the free end?...there does not appear to be a waiting receptacle for it.

In the photos below you can see the line hanging freely...the line has a natural "set" that seems to show it ending up in this position...but as I say I don't have anything there to connect it to...or have I hooked up something incorrectly?

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/awvmlg1a71gdhtd/7WmiRQziO0

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zg7utts5hvae2l7/abD3iTCUUB

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/o2gs2m3ij4azawh/LRd9kKJ-Qy

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...I pulled nearly everything apart in the engine compartment except the short block and transmission....all has gone back together fine save this one lone vacuum line!

Best Regards,
    Cliff
    cell: (919) 616-6759

2. clifforddward

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Images of vacuum line

Here are the images in case some have difficulty with the link:

Attached Files:

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    I know that line but can't remember where the other end goes. I can't look at my MINI because I'm out of town. Sorry but I can give you a bump.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I found where it goes for you.

Its under the IC horn right by the fuel rail. I have a picture on my iPhone and I will load it up in a little bit for you.

5. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Picture 1

Attached Files:

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Picture 2

Attached Files:

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Its hard to photo but maybe this will help with my Kindergarten MS paint skills. :eek:

Attached Files:

• line.jpg
      line.jpg
      File size:
      17.8 KB
      Views:
  8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Way to go Dave!

9. clifforddward

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Dave:
    Thanks for the images including your detailed outline of the part. As it turns out that was the same connector that threw me off as I was reconnecting things...that connection comes from one of the several rigid vacuum lines that run on the right hand (passenger) side of the engine compartment....but your photos, sketch and comment about the fuel rail was enough to change my thinking and I realized I might be looking at this offending line upside down...when I considered that, the solution became immediately apparent and the line I am trying to connect runs from the right hand side of the intake manifold (where it is currently connected) over to the center of the fuel rail where it connects to a metal male barb fitting on the bottom of the fuel pressure regulater (#13 in the image below)...it will fit perfectly! (as soon as I can figure out how to route it over there without removing the supercharger again!)...should be possible...I'll just take a break now for dinner and then go fresh into it later on this evening....
    Thanks again for your help...I know I would have looked at this for hours more without your helpful comments guiding me in the right direction.
    Best Regards,
    Cliff

Attached Files:

10. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I've pulled that off before by accident. You'll need to lift up the fuel rail to reconnect it. No need to fully disconnect the fuel rail from the source.

DON'T pull #10 out. You don't need to and boy is it a real carp to get back in place.

11. clifforddward

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Follow up note;
    I did get the vacuum line properly reconnected. Interestingly enough there was not enough room between the S/C horn and the intake manifold to pass the 1/8" line...I had to loosen the supercharger, alternator, and belt tensioner...then a crow bar wedged between gave just enough room to get the line into position...from there an easy press on.

Wish I had labeled that line!....I did label most things as I was pulling it apart....but it's always the one you forget that causes the trouble, right?!?

So I'm back on track....this coming weekend should see much of the front end back together....still plenty of time before MOTD....

Only about 1/3rd of the front brake pads left, so I'll take the opportunity to swap out for new pads while the rotors are so accessible...that way I can avoid going through the wear sensors and having to replace those as well....

Still trying to decide if I should install the Milltek exhaust or just let the muffler shop do it...The new header is all installed and bolted up to the old exhaust. I have all new hangers, and have loosened the nuts, so other than the aggravation of crawling under the car and being a dirty job, I have no excuse for not doing it myself...the money I'd save would pay for another goodie for the car....

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Glad you got the vacuum line issue fixed. The Milltek is easy to install since it is two pieces just getting on the floor and under the car is the hard part for me. It's cold and I am getting older.

Must get a lift in my garage somehow. :idea:

13. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Automotive Euro Tech. TIS
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    If im not mistaken it goes to the vacuum canister under the intake manifold because of its connector, i just finnished rebuilding an r55 and only the hoses going to the vaccum canister has that connector. Its the plastic tank right beside the passenger side axle right directly below the knock sensor one line goes to the turbo and the other to the vanos, it does not matter which side you plug them. Ill try to attach a picture.

Attached Files:

14. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Wrong picture , sorry

15. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Did you check the solenoids that are mounted under the intake manifold those are the only areas where a vacuum line ca be connected , that size. The solenoid , one is a 3 way and the other is a 2 way, from there it sparates one going to the tank and the othe to the intake manifold

16. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Im trying to find a picture of it installed

Attached Files:

17. Joker

Joker New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Phoenix,Arizona
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Ok here it is , its the black canister directly below the water pump tube

Attached Files:

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    The OP has a 1st gen...

19. clifforddward

Dec 2, 2013
    Cary, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    Dave:
    RE: the Milltek.....yep, that's what I figure, it appears pretty easy, nothing to weld, just a couple of pieces, and I have all new hardware....of course history tells me this is when I should run, as these sorts of "easy jobs" always seem to turn out taking forever in the end!...LOL

Joker:
    Thanks for your comments, although as Metalman mentioned mine is a Gen1 and the vacuum lines are different....I did sort out the issue, so all OK now.

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Word of advice since you have a quality exhaust don't use cheap exhaust gaskets.

I only use these now and they never break down, leak or cause O2 errors because of the leak. (about $15 bucks)

They are the right size and they fit perfectly. Made of solid Graphite 50% crushable and makes a perfect seal and good up too 3000 degrees. :Thumbsup:

Amazon.com: Remflex 6005 Exhaust Collector Gasket for Mopar, (Set of 2): Automotive