2nd Gen JCW Need help with JCW scuttle / carrier

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by Rixter, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    The other day I bought a new JCW scuttle plate from somebody. It's a geniune MINI part judging by the part. Nothing leads me to believe it's some strange fake of any sort. It's the mesh scuttles that are as follows:

[​IMG]

The problem I'm having is that the scuttle plates don't fit with the scuttle carriers that I have. I actually have 2 sets of carriers (both of which are the same), one form my MCS and one for a chrome JCW scuttle. I've checked RealOEM and its the same part number for the carrier for the last several years.

If you look at the small photos you'll see that the connection points are totally different.

I'm at a loss as what I need.

Attached Files:

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Send the info over to Aaron at Outmotoring. He is the scuttle guru.

3. OutMotoring

OutMotoring Club Coordinator
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Most likely what you have are OEM carriers as you have confirmed but the inserts you bought are the NON oem inserts that are sold as a set along with the scuttle kits that we just started selling about 6 weeks ago...the two are NOT interchangeable but they look nearly identical..I have found the OEM scuttles to separate easily and the inserts end up falling off and become lost forever while the new set that we now sell (NON OEM) have a more defined snap feature that keeps the inserts attached to the carriers...plus they are $70 less than the OEM sets...

It really takes a trained eye to tell the difference between the two and from the outside there is really no way to tell the difference as the minor differences are on the back where the tabs are...

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Aaron...to the rescue

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

5. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #5 Rixter, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
    The person I bought them off assures me their for real and is working on getting me some carriers that fit. Hopefully next week this will all sort itself out.

6. Augie05

Augie05 New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you get it to work Ric?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Technology Architect
    North of the 49th