Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S Need some help/advice with 2009 MCS mods

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Robo91, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Robo91

Robo91 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    US ARMY
    Tacoma WA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hello, im pretty new to the mini world and just wanted to know how i can open up my mini and get it breathing better. I was told that buying a new turbo inlet pipe, hotside boost tube, and cold air intake would be a good place to start as far as unlocking some decent power without spending a fortune. I was also told that "Alta" would be a good place to get the parts. If any of you have had any luck with certain parts, mods ETC i would appreciate it. Thanks!

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #2 Jason Montague, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    :cornut:2nd Post-first of all welcome to MA. Asking questions is NEVER a problem at MA. My Margi is an 08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm and as your MINI is an 09 R56 MCS, we're practically twins. I did exactly the same thing that you are wanting to do and have grinned from ear to ear ever since. I went Alta also and have had no regrets. Alta's reputation is good with some and bad with others. Early on, some years ago, their Quality Assurance was a bit below par but it seems that those days are past. I got the Alta CAI, Metal Turbo Intake Pipe( Never get this part in other that metal as,under pressure, it will colapse), Turbo Exit To Inter Cooler Pipe(the factory put a muffler in this pipe that slows intake air velosity, yeah, go figure!), and the Inter Cooler Exhaust Pipe. YES, this set up made quite a difference but I also have a John Cooper Works(JCW) cat back exhaust(your baby's engine wants to both inhale and exhale). Sooooooooooooooo.......... you would need the Intake Set Up AND a Cat Back Exhaust. Do check a lot of different vendor sites(check ours on MA first) to get the best buy and brand. When down to 1 or 2 choices,(if unsure of your choices) check back with us to get feed back. Again, on the Alta intake system, I'm completely satisfied but some people on MA wouldn't by an Alta part at gun point. Exhaust, JCW is too expensive but one of the best and since it came on my car, that's what I've got. None of the above mentioned ever affected my warranty. Many around here say that the first mod should be tightening 'the nut' behind the wheel(a driving school). I'll leave that to you. The next mod(as you've chosen engine mod as the first) is tightening the suspension. Trash the HEAVY run flat tires for non run flat tires losing 20-30lbs in unsprung weight(buy one of the doughnut spares or I carry a real spare in the boot on one of the HEAVY factory Light Weight(?) 24lbs wheels) and get Light Weight after market 14-16lbs wheels and you've lost 40lbs more unsprung weight. You're suspension now will be the equivalent of the suspensions that others pay thousands for: Heavier Antisway Bars, Heavier Shocks, Titanium Sway Bar Links, Camber Plates.............................on and on add infantum. Check to see whether your car has the 'Sport Suspension' from the factory(not to be confused with 'Sport Package' which does NOT include sport suspension). If you have the Sport Suspension with Light Weight after market wheels and non run flat tires, then you have all of the suspension that you'll ever need. This is what I have. Well that's enough info to ponder on for a while. Good Luck and Happy MINIng.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. Robo91

Robo91 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    US ARMY
    Tacoma WA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Dude You are awesome. Thank you so much for that huge chunk of feedback. Im really just trying to study up on as much as i possibly can so that i can make my upgrades in confidence.

4. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:One fairly important mod that I forgot to mention. Our N14 engines, and even somewhat in the N18 engines, are prone to carbon build up on the intake valves due to direct fuel injection as opposed to indirect fuel injection which cleans the intake valves. To prevent this build up(which degrades performance and is costly to remove) install a BSH Oil Catch Can and a BSH Dual Tap. Together these devices catch all of the engine/crank case blow by. They are available from our vendors and others.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Robo91

Robo91 New Member

Feb 7, 2013
    US ARMY
    Tacoma WA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    All right man, i shall look into getting those. Gracias

6. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Da Nada :Thumbsup:

Jason

7. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:Received your PM and return PM sent.:Thumbsup:

Jason

8. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Good sweet Lord stay away from Alta.

9. oldbrokenwind

oldbrokenwind Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    Retired
    Northern NV
    Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    Glad to see someone interested in the MCS "breathing" capabilities. I credit my HP numbers to the easy breathing of the mods I installed --- NOT all are recommended unless you're ready to invest a bundle.

Gotta agree with Jason on the airways into and out of the turbo. Relatively inexpensive and well worth it. An OCC is another inexpensive "insurance" to keep carbon build-up under control. Cruddy valve stems are like a car having a plugged nose.

I've had both good and bad results with Alta parts. Love my 3" exhaust (it's catless), and the AccessPort is invaluable (Cobb part, but Alta tuning). Gauge pods are functional, easy to install, and add a bit to the interior. Gauges that came with them had mixed reviews --- Boost gauge is great - Coolant Temp had a wire connection issue in the instructions. Alta markets gauges for ProSport. The Alta FMIC has hose connections that are too short to work with easily. Can be worked around IF you're prepared for it, and have the extra fittings. And, the Manual Boost Controller had to be replaced by Alta when they tried to dyno tune it a couple years ago. They think it had a burr inside causing intermittent performance. Gotta give credit for service performed - Alta made good on all defects.

Apparently Jason is an Alta fan and CountryBoyShane isn't. I'm in-between. You'll probably find fans and haters for any of the Mini parts suppliers.

Welcome to the Mini world, and enjoy it.

10. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

A few words of advice, don't mod anything because once you do you will never stop modding. :lol::lol::devil::devil:

11. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Welcome
    Making the car breath can help with power, but you'll find that an intercooler and downpipe will be the best bang for the buck parts you can do. Intakes and Exhaust are nice but dollar for HP is expensive.
    If you want help we are happy to put together mods in your budget for you.

As for buying Alta parts, do some research. I don' use or recommend them, and you'll find the reputable MINI shops don't use or recommend them either, for many different reasons. That is the nicest way I can say that.

12. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: On PM, I clued him in on those same parts from NM Engineering. So he's aware of other choices.:Thumbsup:

Jason