1st Gen R53 Cooper S Need to buy a new A/C Compressor

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mdbsat, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mdbsat

mdbsat New Member

May 7, 2009
    Finance
    San Antonio
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I used some if that refrigerant you can buy at autozone because my A/C was just poor. The night after using it my A/C only blew hot air. I took it to a local shop where they vacuumed out whatever was in there and put freon and dye in.

Long story short they told me the clutch will spin by hand but that I needed a new compressor , some sort of valve and a dryer. When they quoted me for the job I had them take out all of the freon etc. and left. Their vague explanation was that the recharge AC bottle I used that contained some sort of sealant that broke everything.

Now to the point. The dealership charges $950 for the compressor, I believe it is a Denso from what he said. I have been using the google machine and I see refurbished, non-OEM and other brand compressors and kits from $250-350 for the compressor or $525 forma kit with new off brand compressor.

Anyone have any experience with non-OEM compressors? If so what kinds would you suggest? I thought I could ride it out until winter but San Antonio is just too hot. Thanks in advance for any tips. I would like to buy this ASAP.

--
    Sent from my iPad

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We have a couple good used compressors if you'd be interested.

3. mdbsat

mdbsat New Member

May 7, 2009
    Finance
    San Antonio
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would be very interested as I need to buy this ASAP. The heat is killing me. Send me any info you can. Thank you.

4. RayanMX

RayanMX New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So the lesson learned here is NOT to use just any AC fluid/dye out there?

What would be the recommended one other than the one on de Stealership? Preferably some brand on Autozone, Pep Boys or O'Reilly

Thanks!

5. mdbsat

mdbsat New Member

May 7, 2009
    Finance
    San Antonio
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I cannot blame the AC recharge kit on the destruction of my AC Condenser. Maybe I put too much, or did something else wrong. All I know is I used a can of this and the next day my car only blew hot air.

I am not sure what you're referring to as far as the dye goes. The shop put the die and freon in to check for leaks but since my condenser didn't engage it was all moot.

Many on this forum and north american motoring know much more about this stuff than I do. All I know is that a person at O'Reilly's Auto and at the dealership told me NEVER to use the recharge kits with any sort of sealant. Who knows, all I know is I am dying in the heat and need to buy a reasonably priced unit asap. $950 for the condenser at the dealership. :cryin:

EDIT: So does anyone have thoughts on what I asked in the OP?

6. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, no experience with non OEM compressors. However for some OEM options just go to Ebay motors and search for 'mini Cooper AC compressor' and you will get some options. Plenty of reman compressors that look pretty damn new. Good Luck.