R53 New 04 MCS owner

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by o2sys, May 21, 2019.

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    One can not have to many toy cars. Modding this car too is good for your health. You will have more fun and there by reducing stress. This is good for the heart.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Good call on the resonated Milltek. You will be very happy with it.

The only thing I would add while the exhaust is off is a short shifter. Since the exhaust is out of the way you can remove the center heat shield and access the bottom of the shift easily and instal it in 5-10 minutes.

The two popular ones are below:
    Greene Performance version. (6 set screws)
    https://www.greeneperformance.com/collections/mini-oem-performance-parts/products/mini-cooper-s-r52-r53-02-08-and-r56-cooper-s-07-13-short-shifter

Helix version
    http://store.helix13.com/helix-short-shift-kit/?fullSite=1

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Also while you have all 4 wheels off the ground it would be an excellent time to add the coil-overs, camber plates, rear adjustable trading arms, and sway bar.:D

I would check the lower A-arm bushings. The stock ones only last about 40k. I would replace them with Powerflex bushings.

4. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Previous owner put new ball joints and control arm bushings and got the new tires and alignment before selling it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Short shifter is a good idea just don't know which year model to get.

Mine is an early 2004 (09/2003 build) and for example I have all rear facing exhaust hangers.

Not sure what changed in the shifter and when.

6. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    That is one of the R53 Mini Cooper features. Just look at my signature and you can see how deep that rabbit hole can get

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0

Interesting experience, but completely different from mine. I have two cars with Milltek systems, bought about the same time early last year. One with resonator, the other with just the pipe. The resonated version is quieter than the bone stock system we pulled from our Florida low mile Mini. Now with the resonator in place, my dark silver car is quietest Mini I have ever driven, and it lost all the fun pops and burbles. I think I heard it pop once. It is now the most boring exhaust, which is why I ordered the pipe to replace the resonator for tooling around town. May keep the resonator for longer cross country trips, but for the handful of miles I usually drive each year, I want my full helping of pops and burbles, otherwise I can just buy a Camry.

My son's car has the non-resonated version and it's quite nice, no drone, just some pops and bangs, enough to have him think he would not want to drive that in his college town where the cops prey on imports while straight pipe pickups can roam with impunity. Even without resonator, that system is nothing close to the noise the Megan Racing exhaust makes (with resonator) on my blue Mini. On that car, I just have to think of taking back the gas pedal a tiny bit and there's a big old pop and burble. When revving above 2500 it is just way too loud for long 70+mph highway travel, and eventually I may just put another Milltek (non-resonated) under that car, unless I sell it and get a Subaru... decisions to make this year.

8. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Exhaust tone/volume is a very subjective topic. Already ordered the resonated one and it already shipped out from the UK. Talk about good service from the vendor.

I can anyways get the straight pipe in there if I find it to be too quiet.

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    The pop and burple is all comes from the tune on the car and fuel over run setting at off throttle. It’s excessive un burnt fuel exploding in the exhaust system.

10. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Yup, aka DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off)

In the Mustang community lots of people try to get rid of the popping and crackling via a aftermarket tune.

I’m not really fond of it myself either, doesn’t really sound too good on a 4cyl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I loved the sound on my MINI. When I got my GTI it took a while to get used to no pops on overrun. Although the GTI does have DSG farts so that's something.

12. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    so how come I can totally modify that with just just the change of the exhaust? The only difference between my cars are exhausts, tune is bone stock. The loudest one is on Megan Racing exhaust, and yes, it has a 17% pulley, while the others are 15%, but I highly doubt the pulley causes more overrun. If it does, I am putting a 17 on all the other cars...

13. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    My Milltek arrived!

The mufflers are smaller than I thought.

Very well packaged all gaskets and hardware included.

Can't wait to install it over the weekend.
    [​IMG]

14. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    have some washers handy to lower the rear mounting points, as in most cases (both of mine) the tips will be rattling against the rear bumper. And adding a small hose clamp to the rear hangers to provide an arrest for the system to keep from sliding from side to side in the hangers also helps a lot to keep things in place and away from the bumper plastic.

One thing I ran into when swapping mine was that the hanger rubber in the center and rear was ripped. You may want to inspect those parts before you rip it all off and then realize you should order some new exhaust hangers. The rear inside ones are usually ok unless the car ran as a one-ball mod, which will put extra strain on the remaining hanger, plus, the actual hanger metal prong on the car may be bent where the remaining ball was attached. All that slowed my install quite a bit, especially the missing hanger on the passenger side ($45). Oh, and then there can be corroded bolts on the old system - have a cut-off wheel handy. I needed to destroy a nut with a dremel cutoff wheel to separate the original system from the cat.

But if all is well with hangers and rubber mounts and bolts, it won't take very too long to install.

15. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Great thanks for the tip.

16. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    You'll love the sound!

17. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Installed. Haven't driven it yet but just from starting it, it sounds perfect.

Only issue is the tips are touching the bumper and don't srr where I can adjust for this.

Is this going to melt it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0

19. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    They do get warm but not enough to melt anything unless you might be racing. Even then, I never melted mine during track days. Nice job...they make your car look really businesslike!

20. o2sys

o2sys Active Member

May 20, 2019
    Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Ok, went for a drive and so far it's perfect.

Loud enough that you can hear it but not obnoxious.

Nice deep tone and no drone as of yet, more driving is needed to see if it does.

The fitment overall is pretty good besides the tips touching the rear bumper.

Removing the stock was the hardest. Everything was rusted and had to resort to using a grinder to cut everything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also in efforts to adjust the tips I removed the muffler and decided to shim the outer exhaust hangers but ended up breaking one of the as studs on each side it's barely hanging on now.

Is this repairable??!!

Also longer rubber hangers would solve the fitment issue.