2nd Gen JCW New exhaust recommendations needed

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by mrminimmel, Dec 26, 2011.

1. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone, Hope you all had a great holiday. I know I did out in the garage claying the finish and putting on some new wax. But I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a new exhaust for my 2010 JCW S. I'm hoping to put a catback "something" on so I can stay in the same autocross class, get a bit more sound(it is my daily driver) and maybe a bit more power. Alta? Borla? Any others? Pros and cons if you care to toss out your 2 cents worth.
    Thanks,Pete

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Milltek PERIOD!

3. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Since it's a JCW there is no second cat so for stock class it is legal for you to replace all the way up to the Downpipe.
    I'd suggest the NM Engineering DP back exhaust, it has a great sound and fits perfect.
    If you have a bigger budget the Akrapovic is pretty cool.

4. MaverickGun

MaverickGun New Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure how much extra power you'll be getting from a catback, but some can sound really nice. Since choosing an exhaust is pretty personal thing, I feel it's hard to make a recommendation since what one person might think is great, another may not like at all. If you know a good exhaust shop, you can talk to them about getting a custom exhaust. If you're interested in saving a bit of money, that's worth looking into. Otherwise IMHO the exhausts that have already been mentioned are pretty great, but I suppose I should add that I ended up with a Remus myself. It sounded the nicest to my ears :Thumbsup:

5. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Another related exhaust question

Thanks for the input so far but I came up with one big question before I go any further on this possible mod. While sound and autocross class is important, the most important is an increase in power and I have the JCW exhaust on the car now, so will there actually be any sizable increase? The dealer parts rep says that to switch to the NM exhaust system would make very little change.
    As always thanks,
    Pete

6. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Pete Installing ANY catback on ANY turbo MINI will net very little or zero HP gain. The power is really in the DP and intercoolers which obviously are not legal for stock AutoX class. but good news is the new rules this year will allow you to install a rear sway bar, the Hsport comp will be the way to go.

7. mrminimmel

mrminimmel New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the feedback on the exhaust and the HSport rear sway bar- I put in their 19mm bar a few months ago and love it.