Pre Migration New Feature :: Roaming Threads

Discussion in 'Announcements, How do I, Feedback' started by Nathan, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Motoring Alliance being on the forefront of forum technology is introducing a new feature, Roaming Threads.

In a nutshell this allows you to create a new thread or post with images on the fly from a smartphone via email or MMS.

This is brand new software and may still have a few bugs. Motoring Alliance is the first site outside of the developers network to be using this product. My role in development has been beta testing and I've been contracted to create documentation. This is not by the same group I normally develop with and besides the consultation on documentation I have no compensation other than being allowed to use the software on M/A

You will notice there are two new buttons, one next to New Thread and one next to New Post.

[​IMG][​IMG]

You will also notice some new areas when creating a or replying to a post. These only come into play when using the product from a smart phone, on the desktop or laptop they can be ignored.

From a smart phone via Email:

New Thread

• Navigate to the forum you want to post in on M/A.
    • Click on the Roaming Threads button.
    • Enter the Thread Title
    • Select Yes in the Roaming Threads drop down and verify the email address shown receives email on the phone.
    • Receive Email Confirmation? box is optional, when checked it will send you a message the image(s) has been posted with a link to view.
    • Be sure to check the I agree to the Roaming Threads Terms of Service box.
    • Enter the thread text.
    • Click on Submit new Thread (Note: The thread is in moderation until images are sent)

Soon after you will receive a reply back from the server. Attach the image(s) to the reply and send. You can add up to 7MB of images in one reply. The thread is posted to the site with images. (Note: The thread is no longer in moderation and is live)

Reply to a Thread with image or New Post

• Navigate to the thread you want to reply to on M/A.
    • Click on the Roaming Posts button.
    • The thread ID number will be displayed.
    • Verify the email address shown receives email on the phone.
    • Receive Email Confirmation? box is optional, when checked it will send you a message the image(s) has been posted with a link to view.
    • Be sure to check the I agree to the Roaming Threads Terms of Service box.
    • Submit Reply

Soon after you will receive a reply back from the server. Attach the image(s) to the reply and send. You can add up to 7MB of images in one reply. The reply is posted to the site with images.

MMS Use

This take a little foresight.

If you don’t have a Smartphone but have phone that is MMS-capable via addressable email provided by the carrier, then you can create a Roaming Thread on your computer before leaving home or work. You follow the same steps listed above with the only difference that you may receive your ‘email’ as a MMS text.

To use MMS, you will need to use the email address that is designated to your mobile device for MMS in one of the following formats:

* Alltel - Your User [email protected]
    * AT&T - Your User [email protected]
    * Boost Mobile - Your User [email protected]
    * Nextel - Your User [email protected]
    * Sprint - Your User [email protected]
    * T-Mobile - Your User [email protected]
    * US Cellular - Your User [email protected]
    * Verizon - Your User [email protected]
    * Virgin Mobile - Your User [email protected]
    * Helio - Your User [email protected]

Again, this is a new product, there may be a few bumps in the road. Please provide feedback that I can send back to the development team.

Keep in mind that all the guidelines still exist for content. Also your images are displayed on the Roaming Threads site with a link back to Motoring Alliance.

Thanks

2. hyeteck

hyeteck New Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    this is an image I just took at work. Looks like the MMS feature is working properly.

:D

3. #3 jbkoopa, Oct 15, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
    that is very cool nathan.
    kudos :cornut:

*takes the time to figure it out*
    jeopardy theme song...

...okay i have no clue how to do this through my phone.
    i am completely lost. :confused5:

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Tell us your phone model and wireless carrier and we will try to help you out.

5. its the Samsung SCH-U940 (glyde) and im a Verizon bunny.

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Are you trying to use MMS or via email?

Are you replying to a post, or creating a new thread?

7. i wanna be able to reply to a thread with a post using my phone MMS picture thing wahtever thingy majiggy hoohaa device AND do the email thing.

and i read that i can make a roaming thread at home or work, then leave? then continue that roaming thread with a roaming post from my phone or email. or did i misudnerstand that...?

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    #8 Nathan, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
    Lets do one at a time...

The MMS first

• Using the Roaming Thread button start a new thread from home or work.
    • Give it a title, verify your texting address is correct should be like, [email protected] <-Verizon Only
    • Make sure you check I agree to the Roaming Threads Terms of Service
    • Add some text.
    • Click on submit
    • You will get a text message to your phone with a unique ID for that thread from a roamingthreads.com address.
    • Reply and attach up to 7MB of images to that message.

Assuming you left the default Recieve Email Confirmation? checked a text will be sent back confirming the post with a link to it. This can be discarded.

You can keep using the original reply to keep sending images till the cows come home and jump over the blue moon. They will all post to the same thread. When you run out of image space in that post, there is a limit of how many images can be in a single post but it is stupidly high, a new post in the same thread will be created.

Wanna get fancy and add captions to the image.

The command is formed as follows

@Image Number Caption@

Assuming 3 images and want to caption 1 and 3 it would look like

@1 Look Ma No Hands!@
    @3 Crash, Bang, Ouch@

Go ahead and use the Test forum to practice in. Then we'll jump to email use.

9. hyeteck

hyeteck New Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  10. lol yeah i figured that out through trial and error