Mini News Most liked posts in thread: New leadership for MINI

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

The only reason any generation out sells the first gen is because they could not produce them wast enough back in the day. The dealerships only had 2 models (Cooper and S) both two doors and sold like hot cakes. No cars on the lot to sell, nothing in-stock. You could only test drive the two demos.

Many of us ordered our cars and waited 6-8 months.

When you don’t offer a 4 door and people want the car they will buy 2 doors. You don’t see 4 door corvettes, Camaro s, Miatas, mustangs and on an on. Some cars don’t need a four door option, station wagon or SUV versions.

Again less is more and was what made the MINI so successful in the beginning. Growing the brand has killed the brand trying to please everyone.

Make MINI’s small and minimal again.

2. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Yeah that’s a pipe dream like the MINI Rocketman concept car.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    They're not too bad. I was surprised how well my sons 2003 Gt handled on the dragon. It was very quick. Of course it has had a good bit of suspension work done. But the new ones finally got a modern rear end, I hear they handle even better. Its no Mini but no slouch either.

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    This is true when I am ranting on an iPad. :p:rolleyes::D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    As much as I dislike the brand within X amount of months since my last repair bill........ I would still buy another one. Because MINI. Plus the new ones are reliable and hate to say it but I really did like that Clubman. All wheel drive with a 6 speed does have a nice ring to it.

6. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Since being into MINI's I've wanted to see a larger version of the classic. Like R53 size with a classic body style, I think that'd be an awesome looking car.

7. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Back in the day, I had a 1959 Morris Mini Minor from high school through my second year in college, when I could no longer afford to keep it repaired and sold it for a new VW Bug in 1966, so I could continue my college education. Years later, after finishing a career as a high school teacher, I bought my first Gen 1 "New" MINI, after soul-searching for years as to WHY I had ever parted with my Classic of "classics". My "New" MINI was my R50, a Silk Green, USED, early '03 [9/'02 build] with only 2200 miles on the clock...from the dealer, in Dublin, Ohio. I had wanted a BRG S, but they had sold the last one in stock and the R50 was the only "New"MINI on the used car lot, so I bought it and still have it. I don't regret buying "used", as 2 of the 3 "New" MINIs I own are used. My Royal Grey R53 was bought new from that dealer in Dublin, but was in stock [aka right off the new car lot]. I didn't like the color at first, but have grown to love it, especially because I didn't have to wait 6-8 months for a new delivery.

8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Sorry but if he does not make sweeping changes and bring back the 2003 type smaller MINI nothing will change.

Bernd sounds like he should be able to do it if he he can get rid of the BMW Kool-aid he has been drinking since 2003 when he left MINI to move to BMW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Lol - know a couple people who have Gen 3's and love them. I do think some of the styling in Gen 3 was a little off, but the electric one looked pretty good in person if memory is correct. Also, the Gen 3 comes with the 2.0 which has more tuning options (IMO). That said, I do wish they would offer something like a
    MINI (Original size)
    MINI L (Current size.. or something like that)
    MINI 4 door.. or whatever.

It will be interesting to see where their design goes.

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Hell is BMW offered me I job as the new project manager I would have many stipulations about what I say goes and that’s it. It’s the only way someone can save the brand at this point.

Here is my short list and nothing would be conceded.

1. All GPS and new wave BS Technology stuff would be gone. No more hill assist, and all the other Nanny crap.
    2. Close the planet and retool and engineer the car and make it reliable and fuel efficient. Just like Hyundai did because the early Hyundai cars was an embarrassment to it’s country.
    3. Make a true modern MINI based on the classic like the first gen was. Oh and 2 doors no more 4 doors.
    4. Close all MINI home life style crap. We make cars not apartments and houses.
    5. No more hipster scarfs in the office, donuts everyday with black coffee not latte.
    6. Bye-bye SUV’s and return to only (3) models. (Justa Cooper, S, JCW) thats what made the brand special. Het smaller to recover and grow. Cut all the cost of the stupid stuff.
    7. No more new designs until we are in the top 5 in the world for reliability and fuel efficiency with what we sell in 3 cars.
    8. The maybe down the road a new GP. Only if the above goals are meet.
    9. The entire design team takes a 10% pay cut for what they have done or thier is the door.
    10. Again, No more GP’s or any other BS special editions until a MINI car is worthy and make it really “special” and worth the price and the limited run of 1,000 or less.

I do hope they fold and my car becomes a classic.

11. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    For most people, the MINI regardless of "generation" is a cute little car.

For the few that have spent the money to get a Gen1 into the 260 and above BHP level, the Turn-of-the-Century Gen1 Design already is Classic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    #9 Qik, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    I had a few Gen 3's and a Gen 3 Clubman S as loaners, the Coopers were ok, prefer the feel of the R56. The Clubman was my favourite out of all simply because it's more useful than a regular Cooper and it drove excellent. The Gen 3's do have a better engine, interior, and tuning options as far as available power as it sits. There are some concepts out there that I do like, the less is more versions. However last year 2 door cooper sales in the U.S. were like sub 10k units. That's unacceptable and is very telling of what the masses (not just previous MINI owners) think of the design. That said, the R56 sold the most out of any gen but the reliability killed the MINI name. BMW knew there were issues, they extended coverage for some of the major issues, but after that 120k or whatever extension expires you basically have an excellent handling POS. The brand can come back but they have A LOT of work to do with the core MINI model if they want to save it.

13. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    @Sully one more post like this one defending a 4 door mustang and we may have you locked up and examined

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    The crap reliability of the R56 killed/is killing the brand. BMW succeeded in making an already unreliable brand even more unreliable. F56 design is a nail in the coffin. Cooper sales are so bad I can't believe they'd even make another Cooper at this point.

15. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0

There are several things that I either I have high confidence in, or, are things that I am pretty sure of:

1.) The sun is going to rise tomorrow,
    2.) I am never going to get younger,
    3.) My last boss was a real dickhead,
    4.) The body design of the Gen1 MINI is "just right" as some golden hair girl would say,

and,

5.) The guy that is calling the shots at MINI does not care one bit what the opinions are of some over-the-hill old fart like me or those approaching old age such as a few folks here.

If you are the type that has to ask a complete stranger what color car you should buy and are too lazy to either read the owner's manual for what oil you should buy or do a Google search for what plugs you need, the new guy calling the shots at MINI wants YOU as an adviser !!!!!!!!!

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    BMW had the Bangel Butt, this to will pass

17. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0

I see that, while you seem quite knowledgeable in business and automobiles, you have almost a complete lack of grammatical and spelling skills.

18. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Um I hate to tell you this Ford is considering a 4 door Mustang.
    iu.jpeg

I know it makes a little puke come up:Vomit:

19. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Wow - that’s interesting since they are getting out of almost all other model cars in the US to focus on trucks, SUV, crossovers and mustang.. wonder what the logic is there?

20. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Logic?? no Logic!

NO SOUP FOR YOU!