New member looking for help

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by shoelessjim, Nov 7, 2015.

1. shoelessjim

shoelessjim New Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I recently bought a used 2011 cooper s hatchback 6 speed manual. I love it but it is giving me headaches. The day after I brought it home I gave the keys to my mom to give it a drive . Not knowing that you need to squeeze the handle to open the door she kept pressing the unlock button on the key fob thinking it was still locked. For some reason this caused the wires from the post cat o2 sensor just behind connector to glow bright red and smoke almost catching fire. I took it to my local mechanic and he couldn't figure out why and thought maybe some kind of feedback caused it and to keep an eye on it. Fast forward a few weeks later and I'm driving home from work one night and it has a major loss in power. I limp home and take it to my guy the next day and he puts his diagnostic computer on it and he determines that two of the ignition coils are bad. He replaces all four and all the spark plugs. I also had replaced the o2 sensor by this time. It now runs fine except when you accelerate hard it misses on the first cylinder . Any ideas? Could what ever caused the initial o2 problem fried my ecu or was it a symptom and I have bad ecu that caused the problem or is it something else entirely? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Edit/Delete Message

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A! :Thumbsup:

I am sorry about your key problems but I wonder if your local mechanic works on a lot of MINIs and is more aware of their inner workings. That's not to disparage him, ok?

That said, I'd take the MINI to a dealer and see if he can solve the problem. It might help if you still have some of the warranty left. Just my 2c.

3. leuuvi

leuuvi New Member

Oct 28, 2015
    sushi apprentice.
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    welcome!

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! Can't help I'm a gen1 guy, not that I'm much help there either. Nothing against your mechanic but if he is hitting a dead end it may be a good time to take it to someone with mini experance like wmwny said. Tell where you live someone here may be able to point you in the direction of a shop.

Please let us know what you find, it may help someone els.

5. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

6. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Welcome Aboard!

I had a car like that. The ground wire had fallen off the starter. So when I tried to start it it tried to source ground through the other wires in the car. This cause a lot of the wires to melt down. The dealer thought they fixed it. But when I picked it up the wipers turned on the radio. There were a lot of other strange electrical issues. The car had to had the entire wiring harness replaced. At least it was under warranty.