New member, new car, good story

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by hal9000, Nov 2, 2009.

1. hal9000

hal9000 New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Arizona
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Like most sane people, I've always wanted a mini. Never got one though; till now and under what have to be considered the best of circumstances.

My current project (I always have one) is a 1969 bronco. Yesterday I finished up with an axle swap, snapped a photo of the truck and sent it off to a few friends and family members, and that started something unexpected. Five minutes later my father called and said he was at a friend's house who was a fellow gearhead. Anyway, he has a RHD '66 mini "country wagon" that needed a good home and did I want it? Well, twist my arm why don't ya! It's "site unseen" at the moment, but apparently in pretty good shape overall.

So as soon as I get it home I'll be the proud new papa of a '66 mini that needs brakes and may or may not have an oil pressure problem. It has been started regularly until 3 years ago when the oil pressure didn't come up. I'm hoping its a flaky sending unit, but if there's a known problem that could cause a stored engine to lose oil pressure, please let me know so I don't waste my time diagnosing an issue that isn't there.

Also, the little bit of research that I've done has said that the countryman (the only thing I can find that's close to the "country wagon" it was described as) were non-import to the USA... Is that true? Any ideas how many are out there? Also, it's supposedly got a hatchback rear door instead of the swinging barn doors that the countryman wagons I've seen have. Is rear door configuration something that varies from car to car?

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    hal,

first off welcome!

I'm def not a gearhead nor a expert on Classic's but let me give you what I know. First off it's very likely that this is a non import. Most MINI's were brought in by individuals and as I understand allot of them came via Australia.

3. welcome to MA!
    classic minis are always cool :)
    i'd love one for myself.

4. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
  5. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Welcome and congrats on the new acquisition. Be sure to get pics of both it and the Bronco up soon, I'm a huge fan of the '66-'77 Broncos.