Mini News Most liked posts in thread: New MINI is voted "Best-looking car of 2014" in its class.

1. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Staff Microbiologist/hematologist at UC Davis
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I'm no photoshop whiz so that's the best I could do. :p

2. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #15 cct1, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Everyone has different tastes, it's all good. What you'll find is that many, not all, but many, first generation owners bought a MINI for specific reasons (which for the sake of everyone's sanity I'll not rehash), and those specific reasons have fallen to the wayside in subsequent generations. I would not buy a current generation MINI (with the exception of the Rocketman, if done right); it doesn't have the same appeal to me as the first generation. I get why someone would want gen3, it's just not for me.

What you'll also find is that there was hardcore group of passionate MINI owners on board for the first generation, and those are the ones that are bothered the most by the evolution of the brand. Not saying that new owners aren't passionate as well, but it's a much different group now than it was back in 2002-2003.

MINI won't be reverting back to original models, you're correct on that, and we all get that. At this point I'd be up for a radical change in look IF it allowed a reduction in size, as simply modifying the R53 platform, then the R56 platform in an effort to maintain the same look (an approach that worked for the most part for Porsche, but isn't working as well for the MINI), to meet ever changing standards is a major issue with the current development of the car. That, and BMW's unqualified efforts to further BMWize the MINI.

3. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
  4. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, well, in High School, Rosie O'donnell was voted Best Looking.

Look how that turned out....

5. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    :mtrn::mtrn:

[​IMG]

:mtrn::mtrn::mtrn::mtrn::mtrn:

6. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    #56 cct1, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    You have to decide if you want a touchy feely community site, or a car enthusiasts site. If it leans toward the latter, you're going to lose a few--not all, but a few--of the former. If you want the former, you're going to lose many, if not all of the latter. My 1 cents (since according to my wife my opnion is overvalued by me by a factor of two.).

I dunno, the fire thrown back and forth between R53 and R56 owners was more similar to this than different, and there are a ton of R56 owners on here. With time the same thing will happen with the hardcore F56 people, they'll join, they'll be accepted, and life will move on. But you have to also factor in that BMW is catering to a different crowd now, and there quite possibly might be fewer hardcore MINI owners attracted to the new model. That doesn't mean there won't be F56 owners who love the brand as much as the rest of us and in the same way, but that I'm betting they're will be fewer of them.

To be honest, I have no idea with the exception of a few who own's which model of car, and I really don't care. On the flip side, you're right in that we shouldn't go out of our way to bait new members, we should error on the side of acceptance.

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Can you be an F56 and a MINI enthusiast? Absolutely. There are many on here, but it is true that the highest percentage of fanatics were in the first generation (if you don't believe that, go back and read NAM from 2002-2005.). It wasn't all good, in fact there was a lot of bad that went along with the uberfanatacism, but it's the truth.

The MINI community is large enough that even if the percentage of people who own an F56 who are fanatics is less than earlier generations, it's enough to keep things going, as the number of overall F56's sold will be so high--the percentage doesn't need to be that high to keep the community going. I don't like the F56, would never own one, but that's not important. An F56 owner who gets into the community, tracks, does meets, passionately defends his car, etc. is just as welcome IMHO as us R53 stalwarts.

It's a natural progression of any car brand--the back and forth is similar to what's happened with BMW since the beloved E30, Porsche with the 911, etc. The back and forth gets out of hand at times, but believe it or not, it's all part of what keeps everyone active. Nate disagrees, and we have to agree to disagree...

Flip side is there are many who bash the R53--not as refined, not as sophisticated an engine, less torque, cheaper interior, etc. I'm fine with that, it doesn't bother me in any way, it doesn't make me want to participate on the boards any more or less, it's simply another opinion (even if it's totally wrong). Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's just that some of our opinions are better than others.:devil:

8. Stefanie

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Now that there is funny.:lol: Did Stevie Wonder vote?

I like the Fiat 500 Abarth a lot more than the F56. :yesnod:

10. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    This is a sign that the world is just too stupid for human input anymore.

11. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ :yesnod:

So in a competition that includes bunch of small cars that all look like carp, it's the best looking piece of carp. Way to go MINI. :cool:

12. pmsummer

pmsummer Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Semi-retired planner
    Jack Coffee Hays County, The Republic of Texas
    Ratings:
    +400 / 0 / -0
    #17 pmsummer, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

An Auto Motor und Sport editor making his selections for category finalists.

13. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    #18 minsanity, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
    I'll let you in on the secret why the F56 won.....Dave's anonymous repetitive voting.:D

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    For the record, I like Stefanie's better than Dave's, sorry Dave...:biggrin5:

15. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Dave, the only reason I was mildly disappointed in yours was because I was expecting something a bit more graphic; dueling rainbow vomiting unicorns isn't bad, but I was picturing a landscape of unicorn body parts strewn over a battlefield littered with exploded Sprintexes and Miniports dotting the horizon. I was expecting something a bit less tasteful.

16. Stefanie

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0

Woohoo! I'm incredibly honored. :D

I kinda half-assed mine too...I was supposed to be running CBC's and making peripheral blood smears and had approximately 2.5 minutes between analyzer runs to google "unicorns and rainbows" and type "Motor On" all while glancing about like I was being shady. Not that anyone cares, but you know...appearances. :aureola:

As an aside, during my google search I found this, and it amused me:

[​IMG]

17. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Me too, it's not worth it anymore, and who knows, someone incredibly cool (with an ugly car) may join these boards if we slightly ignore the ugly car bit.

It's different this time around--when we made fun of the R56, they fought back tooth and nail, didn't back down, and everyone was cool with it. This go around, people get angry and leave. Crowd is changing, I THINK I can deal with it, but if I have to get neutered too much, well, that would suck.

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    These last few posts...I can just FEEL the membership numbers of MA going through the roof...:arf:

I wish the F56 crew would come out full force and bash the R53 and R56 unmercifully so I don't have to be nice for very long.

19. Stefanie

May 8, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Ratings:
    +804 / 0 / -0
    As a 2nd Gen Mini owner, I see R56 bashing a decent bit. Truthfully, it doesn't really bother me because I love my car, so I just let it roll off my back. Would I have preferred a first gen if I had found one relatively new? Yup...but I was in grad school and starting my career when they came out so I was in no position to buy one.

That being said, in my personal opinion, some of the things that have been said are on the verge of crossing the line into personal attacks, and that's when I feel iffy about it. However, if I were on the receiving end of those particular statements, I'd probably turn into a b**** and not back down as I am apt to do in those situations.

Anyhow...back to unicorns...

[​IMG]

Edit: I suck at grammar and my image didn't work.

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Steph why did you hack my iCloud account and steal one of my selfies? :lol: