2nd Gen JCW New Mini Owner 2009 MINI JCW With A Few Questions

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by haliphics, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Walnut shells are what the dealer or any MINI Vendor has to use as a media to clean the back of the valves because the DI design did not a account for the huge amount of carbon that builds up on the back of the valves.

Large deposits kill power and since MINI's love oil and let lots of blow by they get covered in carbon easy.

If left not cleaned they will kill your head, motor, etc.

Oh the 2.0 BMW motor will not fit in a MINI that I am aware of.

2. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Really? He blew up his first motor with a large turbo.

So now to prove my point he is building a custom built motor that will still only get 25 PSI. All that money, failure and MONTHS both a broke down car you still think that better then an R53?

Oh and to top it off he is taking advice from "Thumper" who is known for making custom CAM's that make less power then OEM. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

But really what do I know I am only sitting here with a reliable R53 6 speed JCW in my garage while you have a autotragic stock ClubVan MINI. :idea::ihih::ihih::ihih:

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I'm guessing that you haven't read all of Ol' Brokenwind's posts. His 300+ hp N14 engine was reliable for a number of years, his fatal flaw was taking the car drag racing at sea level when the care was tuned for his home in the mountains. The result was a lean condition that melted a piston.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I wondered when the Gen1 vs Gen2 war would start. :lol::lol:

The Gen1 a more visceral, the Gen2 is more refined. Both are great cars, but as far as modding I am with Dave.0. If you do get a Gen2 MINI make sure it has the N18 engine, stay away from the N14. Everyone here knows I hate turbos, that being said I really like my wife R57 (Gen2 convertible). If I were to Mod it, and I have been told to keep my hands off it, it would only do light mods to the motor. It just seems to me I have heard a lot of people having trouble with modded R56's. Hopefully some Gen2 guys that have modded their mini's will jump in here.

Dave I think the F minis have the BMW2.0 in them. Its the same motor thats in the BMW1 and it is modable but I know nothing about it.

But we all know the R53 is the pick of the litter!:lol::lol:

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's French Peugeot origin, but even more odd is the R53 with a Brazilian Chrysler engine.

6. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yeah that Chrysler block is the same bullet proof block that was in all those dodge Neons.

American design made is Brazil because UAW cost too much for 1/2 ass quality parts. Also the R53 block is still the best motor ever put in a MINI because BMW was not part of its design.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Yeah it was a little reliable at the beginning because it had RMW parts and custom tune.

In the end the owner thought he knew better than JAN (with all his champiomship winning tunes) and stupidly self tuned. He used FA "Full access" with Byronic and blew his motor for not knowing how to tune for altitude while drag racing. I mean how stupid could you be by taking a MINI to a drag strip which is as stupid as taking a Dragster to an auto cross track.

8. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #28 Guapish_Fliver, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Yeah if you want to learn how to frag your motor go to the obw thread... :Thumbsup:

The car didn't make it 5000 miles. It shouldn't lean out at sea level with a maf tune.. Does it have a carburetor?

He had a maniac tune with no knock sensors and thinks it was high compression that shattered a forged piston but w/e..

Even if my car is reliable now and makes it 100k, the design still sucks. Can't change the design.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I like how "us" with modified cars know what we are talking about but people with OEM cars know better. :idea:

OEM owners need to stay on the sidelines and stick with picking out new stickers and custom key fob rings. :lol::lol::lol:

10. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so if this car loves oil and has a good amount of blow by woulnt a catch can be a really good upgrade then?

Also, im not looking for a serious horsepower gain. So trying to get above 300hp isnt my goal. Secretly, my goal is to have a fairly quick mini to shut down the ocasional WRX since i run a Macys in a mall and there is a weird circle jerk of WRXs of like 10 people who think that their car is a godsend among men since its a subaru. Plus who doesnt want a slightly quicker car that sounds beautiful and looks nice.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

11. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #31 Guapish_Fliver, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    Blocking the rear pcv increased my crankcase pressure and oil consumption (even with a new pcv/turbo).

Fwiw I can pull on Subaru guys now but barely. That won't come easy. It took 3x the Guap, effort, and time that my buddies have in their cars to do so.

Those guys like to spin rod bearings so I'm not sure who's dumber. Probably me... Those guys get cheap motors so... :idea:

12. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Now that's funny!, I don't care who you are!

13. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Love the discussion, appreciate everyones opinions.

haliphics - didn't mean to hijack your thread, I don't typically start getting involved until I've done more research and decided my goals.. but felt this was a great thread to jump in on. I hope the conversation is helping you.... if not, will open new thread. Its helped me understand why the engine's are not "progressing"... appears mini was like lotus.. they outsourced their engines by model to different vendors... that makes things challenging.

I started reading the Ole Brokenwinds post (not done yet), very interesting. Looks like he is DIY, mechanically smart, putting down big HP (361whp... if that is accurate) while learning (and spending $$) during the R&D process. Its interesting and I hope he can figure out a way to make it be sustainable. I still have research to do.

Here is what I've learned so far:

Mini is owned by BMW but until this last model never used BMW engines. Which I still find odd for them to outsource the engines:

R53 (05 - 05) = Dodge (brazil built).. but essentially from Neon. Don't know if from Neon SRT or not yet. Assume there are different variants but looking into.. however overall research shows these are the engines that are typically modified (supercharger, not Turbo).

R56 (turbo) was made by Peugeot and has two (Maybe more - still looking) variants (based on NAM thread that I still need to fully read)
    N14 Engine - N14B16AC (171hp / 177 ft-lbs)
    * infinitely variable single VANOS (intake only)
    * Siemens DME MED17.2 engine management

N18 Engine - N18B16M0 (181hp / 191 ft-lbs)
    * infinitely variable double VANOS
    * map-controlled oil pump
    * variable valve timing (Valvetronic) with 3-phase servomotor and integrated eccentric shaft sensor
    * composite camshaft construction
    * new piston design
    * Siemens DME MEVD17.2.2
    (Note - other differences mentioned in that thread)

New models - not exactly where/when started but are based on the BMW 2.0 engine. I need to research this to confirm engine to see what type of mod's people are doing to their (BMW) cars.

Frankly, the Peugeot engine scares the hell out of me. That said, need to look at some EMEA forms to see what they are doing with them (and French model nomenclature). It appears there is an inherit weakness in this engine (oil seems to be one) and cylinder #2. I would guess depending on the cars they came in someone has figured that out.... or not if they were grocery grabbers...

Thread has helped target me... appreciate it and any additional comments. If anyone is in ATL with a tuned car, would love to ride in it to see what different HP feels/drives like. I'm not sure where I want to be yet, but I'm sure it's north of the 2016 JWC ~230HP (yes with suspension, brakes etc)... hard to go from M5's (Yes its BMW and high weight 4 doors) to less than my Corrado 15 years ago.. :devil:

wjosh45

14. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    And if they decide to put in the same amount of effort you did, you won't be pulling on them any more. Competing on straightline speed is a losing proposition in a MINI. Better to focus on other things like handling and driving skills.

15. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    LOL - no comments to add to that.

16. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well he hasn't. The car is broke, maybe someone has the link for the thread here with pics. He ran some loud ass Carrillo clapper Pistons that came apart real nice.

I hope he can find his way back here so I can tell him how worthless the boost port adaptor he sold me was. I threw it in the trash.

17. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you mean the boost port adapted was useless? Was it like a POS ebay one or they just dont work on mini?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

18. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I had it sent to my tuner he sent me an email about that particular part lmao.

"got the gage, that was good, then I got the map sensor adaptor plate, that was bad :-( Was that a ebay part ? Whatever it was, its complete garbage ! Does not fit, they put the brass nipple on the wrong side! They put it on the intake side, the front and it hits the manifold, so you cannot fully seat it all the way down :) We need another one !"

19. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Interesting - guess I'm not that far into his thread that I realized he produced some parts... and created a rift between you two.

Also - side note - been doing more research. Guess BMW bought JWC in 2007? While I love the original M homologation cars, not sure on the recent M's..personally (my perspective). They are going in a different direction. JWC seems to be in the similar boat.. looks, some performance, etc..

So who makes the best tuned mini?

20. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Let me ask the question differently, Dave seems to have the recipe (and knowledge) for sustainable 300HP (Crank)/250whp which I bet is a hoot. But is that done. Is that it? Can/is there a reliable great handling/stopping car at + 300HP? I want and airport car plus weekend destroyer.. for road tracks. Not street racing. (Important note - helping a buddy put in a LS1 swap into a Lotus so odds are against me..but would be fun to beat him)...

haliphics - again hijacking here... so if need new thread let me know.

wjosh45