2nd Gen JCW New Mini Owner 2009 MINI JCW With A Few Questions

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by haliphics, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #41 Guapish_Fliver, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    I saw rmw tune on the website so am still a bit confused if he does r56 or not. His tune is expensive ($1000), but I'm sure it works.

I used Jzw who is a good honest no bs dude. He gives you a Powergate programmer with the tunes so you can choose between several maps on the programmer and load whatever you want on there. He said hes got canned tunes that get good results from stock/Jcw turbos. I believe him.

Manic tunes advance timing pretty gnarly and "soften" knock sensor settings which is apparently a bad idea on the prince engine. Several tuners have told me those tunes are playing with fire..

JMTC uses some clown who will not speak to customers and could never eliminate the exhaust cel or get the car to run. I found out they set my redline at 12,000 rpm when I gave up on them after 3 attempts.

That's all the tuners I know of...

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    JAN tunes for a grand come with the programmer I think.

As for my R53 I could go higher HP but the cost is a little high. Below is a list of what I could do on a car with just about 100K miles on it.

Rotrex or TVS 900 $3 to $4 grand.

Custom Billet Crank $2,195
    Connecting Rods $600
    Custom Pistons $625
    Race CAM $500
    King bearings $300
    ARP (all) $300
    1000 cc injectors $500
    ViPEC ECU (replace OEM ECU) $2500
    Larger Throttle body $325.00
    Labor $$$$$$

That's about 10 grand so why not just buy an RMW stroker 1.8 for $12 grand.

To me it's all about reliable HP.

If you want to smoke the WRX'S buy a used Porsche Cayman. :devil: and take a track driving class.

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I've said it before, If your MINI has increased crankcase pressure and oil consumption with the rear PVC blocked, then you have a defective head cover/PCV. Headcovers can be bad right out of the box.

I blocked my rear PVC off and added an oil catch can 30,000 miles ago and my engine goes through a pint of oil in 5000 miles

4. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Well designed reliable motors do not need catch cans.

5. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    #45 DneprDave, Jan 2, 2017
    My car is not unmodified, I just don't share everything I have done with it with the group

I will share now. The turbo has insulation wrap on the hot side, it has a BSH oil catch can with a BSH boost tap blocking the rear PCV port, Helix oversized intercooler, A two and a half inch catless downpipe, second cat removed from stock exhaust, Cobb Access Port stage one tune and a gage package with vacuum/boost, oil temperature, water temperature and oil temperature.

It has been completely reliable and hasn't seen the dealer since the turbo cooling pump recall.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    wjosh45, I don't know if this will answer your question. I came to Mini from BMW also. I have owned a couple of e30 325is, 318ti and an e46 325. I still love the E46 M3 and E39 M5, I have driven both. One of the few cars I would part with my mini for is an e30 M3. All that being said the mini is not a red light racer, its a momentum car. It really shines on twisty roads. Yes HP is great but don't forget torque and handling. I love being on a twisty road and bugging some one with a bigger faster car. The Dragon and the roads around it are a good example. The Mini will catch all sorts of cars.
    Minis like Dave.0 car strike a great balance of power and handling. Just plan out your mods and start with the suspension.

I think the F minis 2.0 will be very moldable but it is also heaver, we will leave looks out of it I am sick of hearing it. If you think you are going to be heavy into moding get a 05-06 R53. Drive all 3 Gens and you will quickly see the difference. I have owned my 02 for 12 years and still get excited to take it for a drive. Its my daily driver, airport car, and toy.

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Dave how long have you had the wrap on your turbo? I am still trying to decide if I want to put one on my wife car to cut down on under hood temps.

8. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I bought the car in May 2010, and installed the turbo wrap as my first mod in June. The insulation not only reduces underhood temperatures significantly, saving the plastic hood scoop from sagging, it increases turbocharger efficiency, keeps the pedestal bearings in the turbocharger cooler and keeps the oil feed line from developing leaks due to thermal cycling.

I work on industrial turbochargers all the time and they all have lagging (insulation) on the hot side. The only reason I can think of that they don't put it on car engines is cost savings and it will allow the turbocharger to fail a little sooner, which is good for the dealers down the line.

9. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Dave I wouldn't say any of your additions would really be considered "Mods" except your flash tune. Most of what you have done is preventing failure of a poor motor design.

10. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #50 Guapish_Fliver, Jan 2, 2017
    Have you ever seen a new defective valve cover come out the box from the dealer??

I know you love your catch can because it's on ur car Dave but you've likely never taken off the plug to see if oil consumption decreased. My motor uses zero oil now with the same valve cover as it had before the engine rebuild. Faulty pcv?

Your motor is in good health so the symptoms may not be as apparent. When my cars motor liked oil And was nearing roach level, the blocked rear plug symptoms were much more noticeable. I put the rear plug on and removed it several times and my car emitted much more smoke with it on, much more.

11. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    MCS02 - agreed, a E30 M3 is a great car. I had an opportunity to do a ride along in one at Sebring. It was a good time. However clean ones are super expensive now, not sure I'll ever be able to slide into one of those. Regarding the comment of momentum, couldn't agree more. I'm a turns/handling guy but do like to know the limits of the engine(s) when planning out the end goal. Learned a long time ago, better to start with the end goal in mind else it gets real expensive adjusting mid build. There is a balance of suspension, power, brakes, weight and like Dave.0 says reliability. I'm not a stop light/road racer guy. Leave that to other folks. The more I read the more it appears the R53 is the one to have to tune reliably and based on some of the other threads the parts for the R56 appear to be going up in price. Long term the F 2.0 BMW motor may take its place assuming parts can move from the BMW platform to the Mini (which at least internals I would expect can). Will research.

Dave.0 - thanks for posting the info on the build. I started looking at those parts. I didn't find the stroker motor on RVM's site, but that is not surprising. Pretty sure its a phone call. Sometimes I build the engines myself, sometimes its better to have someone due to time or special tools.

Guapish - thanks for the info on the tuners. Seems like there is a strong following of RMW.

12. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No need to apologize for your input. So far, even though a scattered clustered debate of information. Its actually what im looking for and interested in, so far its been fairly informative.

Which leads me to another question. For the R56 what are the common maintenance issues and failures that need repairs and rough cost? Also how is the maitinence schedule like for the R56.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

13. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    For the RMW stroker motor you would need to call and speak with Jan.

Jan Brueggemann

(949) 464- 7691 (RMW1)

14. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    Proper maintenance.

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    ^^^^^^ Lots of oil changes. ^^^^^:Thumbsup:

16. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    In your particular case you have an N14 (most troublesome engine R56's) Prone to timing chain/timing chain tension-er failure, water pump failure and bad intake valve coking amongst other things but those are your main issues.

17. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it a possibility for the car to have an N18 or is that just me hoping really hard?

18. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I am always hoping my car has a Porsche Flat 6 under the hood. :lol::lol::lol:

19. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well ive heard if you put your blown motor under your pillow, the pillow fairy mighy come and do an engine swap for you.

20. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But in all seriousness and probably a really dumb question. Do all 2009 JCW come with teh N14 or is there a possibilty that it could have a N18? I know engine differences are a possibility like how some Integras came with either a B18 or B16.