2nd Gen JCW New Mini Owner 2009 MINI JCW With A Few Questions

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by haliphics, Dec 30, 2016.

1. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So with a custom tune what would the max safest range to push boost to run on a stock turbo/engine?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I am a R53 guy to the bone,but..........

As I said before drive all there Gens and see the difference for yourself. I happen to know of a second Gen coup that everyone likes thats up for sale, its one bad mini!

http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/member-garages/12125-dark-helmet-2012-mini-jcw-coupe-11.html

I would call some of our sponsors and ask them which gen to get given what you want to do with it, people like Helix, RMW, DetroitTuned. They may be a big help.

The difference in my R53 and my wife's R57 are striking. Her mini is so refined. It is still fun to drive and handles great stock. It also has lots of torque. Its a very nice car. It does have the N18 engine.

My R53 is a different experience. You take it to redline and it screams like a primeval animal freed from bondage. Kids run for their mom, women faint and grown men cry with fear..........ok maybe I am laying it on to thick, but not by much. I feel totally connected in my Mini. You hear the wine of the SC, I can hear the exhaust, I have the alignment set just the way I want it. But all this fun comes at a price, it can be loud on long trips and very harsh ride.

Just drive them and see what you like and go from there, we are here to help spend your money

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Exactly ^^^

4. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you want power I'd start with the basics first. Remove cats, clean valves, replace timing setup, and throw some Pistons in there... Make sure it runs right first.

5. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are there any upsides to a R56? Haha

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    A stock R56 is lighter, has better brakes, gets better mileage and has a more powerful engine.

They are not the ticking time bomb the series one guys and internet forums would have you believe. People don't complain on the internet that their car is trouble free. My 2010 R55 has been trouble free.

7. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4

Yeah if you are ever cold it will warm you up. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Attached Files:

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    Ok that's funny! :lol::lol:

Dave you are fighting the good fight for the Gen 2's. out numbered and alone.

I hate to look like I am playing both sides because I'm not. The Gen2 cars are nice but don't have as much headroom for upping the HP. so if you get one just be careful how much you do.

Long live the R53!:biggrin5:

9. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ok - had to work today so wasn't on the thread.. but seems like lots of good discussion.

First Guapish_Fliver - saw the gauge mod you posted.. Very nice, simple and clean. If the bracket you made doesn't hold or if you want a black one, let me know I can send you some flat plastic we can make a bracket with. (Use this stuff all the time on the RZR's we mod). Or if you want some other material, have a laser cutter we can use.

Ok - I will start with sometimes I like a challenge (Usually means pain)... don't always take them.. but here is my analysis.

Clearly it appears if you are going for higher HP the R53's are the straight tuner bet. Folks have this recipe and probably the best way to go from a reliable HP perspective (odd to say that considering its a Dodge engine... but the R56 is Peugeot...)

Regarding the R56 - If tuned appears it creates problems and not sure the upside is there to take the pain..

I'm assuming this engine is not specific just to mini's since they outsourced it. Does anyone know what the N engines cross reference to from Peugeot or is it Mini specific?

Engine swaps in these cars are non existent..

Clearly I need to get out and drive some. Drove a 2016 JWC to see what it felt like. Have memories of my brothers R53 (bone stock).. don't remember the year.

hmmm.

10. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    The N engines were a joint project between Peugeot and BMW.

I'm outnumbered in my support of the series two MINi because of all the series one fanboys here, not because it is an inferior car.

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    I have had ZERO issues with my 2009 R56 JCW..... I change my 100% synthetic earl every 5,000 miles with a OEM earl filter..... or sooner if I'm in a good mood...

I have the ability of being able to read the earl level on my dipstick and keep the earl at the high mark....

Oh..... And I like the looks of the R56.... :Thumbsup:

Corse.... I have not "tinkered" with adding HP mods only suspension mods to make it faster... :Thumbsup:

12. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I haven't done any suspension mods, it already goes around corners faster than I can drive.:biggrin5:

13. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    DneprDave

Agreed the force is strong with the Series 1 and there are some very strong opinions. While I appreciate them, I also appreciate you comments/views.

All - So let's flip this a little to add color.

Common repetitive themes (what am I missing):

Series 1 (Are there multiple engine model variants/designations)
    1) Dodge Supercharged engine
    2) Little lower build/finish quality
    3) Heavier
    4) More visceral
    5) Stock engine is reliable and it appears to take tuning well
    6) Weak brakes

Series 2 (Two engine variants.. any more)
    1) Lighter
    2) Interior Build quality and for some the exterior looks
    3) Better suspension
    4) Better Brakes
    5) Potentially consumes oil
    6) Current feeling is tuning them is problematic. There are those who do. (I need to research this more to see others results)

Questions:
    1) What are the downsides/week points of tuning the Series 1 for 300+ HP.
    2) What are the actual weak points in the series 2 and their fix if one already determined? i.e. we know Oil usage, Valve buildup, etc.
    - Are their tuners who have designed a fix? What is the weak point?
    3) Which takes mild mods (bolt on etc) better?

(Stuff I will search on but figured I would ask to see if it even exist)

1) Is there a link, spreadsheet etc that has all the body, engine etc nomenclature?
    2) Also since the engines come from other OEM's does anyone have a cross reference chart for parts to questions like:
    - Wow that mini part is expensive, but this Dodge part is cheap?
    - Man just blew my turbo, what else will fit?
    - Will cool JWC (or other parts) fit my mini
    3) Tracking of bolting tuning part on and results

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    #94 Dave.0, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    See above

15. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #95 Guapish_Fliver, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    In a lot of cases the n14 factory tune needed to be "updated" at the dealer to get the car to run right without stumbling. Imo, the cars are tuned on the ragged edge of being too lean from the factory. Pretty sure my car was one with a bs factory tune because it stumbled/detonated all the time and never ran right even after a fresh motor until I found the right tuner. I don't think you can go wrong with rmw or Jzw for a tune, they will give you a programmer so you can add or modify tunes if you decide to make changes down the line. JZW is 400 dollars cheaper... I think on a stock motor with no mods they are seeing 250-280 bhp. The r53 will never make the power of an r56. Not once not never.

Id say the biggest enemy or weak point of these motors is detonation. The oem Pistons seem to be pretty fragile. Also, the valve guides are made of some terribly unreliable chintsy low friction brass. JMTC claims to use "long life" guides constructed from a different material of some sort.
    JZW gave me a high octane ethanol mix tune to protect against detonation and I haven't felt it yet, so honestly I feel safer now than I did with the factory tune...

16. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    [​IMG]

Um you know Shane has a 750 whp R53 right?

Also TVS and Rotex R53 MINI's make 400 hp with a soft tune.

17. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wha? 750? Is there a mod list or vid somewhere?

18. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yea would like to see that.. prefer video of 750hp in this car. Yes i know putting that down on the street would be hard.... thinking smoking tires at whatever speed.

Now we are talking... by that I mean a good debate.... who in your opinion builds the best r53 and who builds the best r56?

Love to see them side by side..

wjosh45

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Look up Eva Bomber on FB

20. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    FYI you can do this with an R53 stock block after some machine shop work and big $$$.

Try this on an R56 or F56...... nope :lol::lol::lol:

Because M/A is not the center of the MINI world.

Neither is NAM, MF, LXM or M|u

Shane

These are from when it was at about 650 hp.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqJXHDcJdyg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqJXHDcJdyg[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBP1oXMV0N0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBP1oXMV0N0[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHkTQQmyNV0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHkTQQmyNV0[/ame]

Yes it's breathing fire out of the hood. :devil::devil::devil::Thumbsup:

Attached Files: