2nd Gen JCW New Mini Owner 2009 MINI JCW With A Few Questions

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by haliphics, Dec 30, 2016.

1. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    You can do all that and everybody will still think your MINI is cute and girly.

2. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #102 haliphics, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    That supra sized turbo in a mini is beautiful. Is that and R53 because the engine looks a little older than a r53 but im a noob so i could be wrong

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup its a custom built R53 with tons of RMW parts. It's the same motor that's in every 1st gen R53 but it has been massaged with $100.00 bills. You get confused looking at it because you don't see the I/C on top of the motor. That's because its now down front for the large custom turbo. Also it is not running on crappy OEM ECU but running on a ViPEC ECU with Launch Control. :devil:

As far is being a cute and girly, ( from a guy in SF of all places :frown2:) you would have to catch it first. :lol:

4. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Cute and girly until it two steps and throws a godzilla supra sized flame out the hood and pops your ears.

5. Guapish_Fliver

Guapish_Fliver New Member

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That launch control rev limiter sounds pretty schweet. I wonder how many miles he's put on it lol.

6. wjosh45

wjosh45 Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ok - so this is very interesting.. think I will be spending hours looking at this info.. RE: Eva Bomber

7. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So after getting this little bad boy and loving it (before buying it finally i test drove a WRX, Genesis Coupe, and Focus ST.) it now made me curious, ive seen it for R53 but would a Omex or Wot Box work with the R56

8. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So you got an r56? You liked it more than the focus st? If you got the mod fever I'd take the cats out the exhaust and clean the valves first..

9. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup, for now the R56 is good but i have a friend that has access to Adesa looking for a R53 for me so i can have a project car and make the R56 a daily. But the ST was really nice, except i like the interior of the Mini more (especially since the Mini has the winter package, i enjoy my heated seats) plus i really really really enjoy the exhaust sound of the Mini JCW way more, has the perfect amount of growl with poping sounds. The ST was a fair amount quicker but, after having a great sales person who let me play with both for a while, i still feel like the Mini could still have it on cornering. Also thankfully a Mini JCW is and extremely rare car to see around me and i know way too many people with a ST and WRX and talk about them way too much.

I already have an appointment at a local tuning shop called BrenTuning who will clean the valves for a nice price. But so far my road map for this thing is suspension, then minor engine mods like an intake just because pushing more boost or strapping a bigger turbo on it seems a tad bit too risky for my liking

Also since i know on my Mazdaspeed and WRXs if i put a BOV on them they run too lean, is it bad to strap a BOV onto on a R56 or is its kinda alright. Just more a curiosity question.

10. Guapish_Fliver

May 31, 2016
    Pimpin
    Da wess
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    #110 Guapish_Fliver, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Ya the fords interior is garbage. ugh.

An intake is gonna be a waste of money on a stock car. There's no point IMO.

If you want to hear the turbo and blowoff more you can delete the "noisemaker" plumbing on the cold side and the turbo muffler on the hot side. Forge makes a blow off if its still not enough noise for u but it's 300 bucks. Mini runs off a vacuum driven system so it's a bit different...

11. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    From my research, the stock air intake offers the best benefits, as far as horsepower goes. most aftermarket "cold air" intakes aren't even cold air intakes and actually reduce horsepower a little. Just get a free flowing air filter for the stock intake for maximum benefit.

Blowoff valves that vent to the atmosphere also do not add any horsepower and may reduce it.

12. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    " A Mini JCW is and extremely rare car ....." :p:lol:

Not really anymore since BMW /MINI bought JCW (2006) and turned it into a sticker package with a tiny bump in HP. A JCW is just a S that people pay a lot more for.

13. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I kinda figured, like with my Speed3, a BOV would send thrm into limp mode or make it run really lean.
    Mini S i should say. Locally around me its a disgusting amount of civics that have been trade to every one locally, has an anoying exhaust that sounds like some one bolted a coffe can to it and "its a b20b with an ebay turbo and equal length headers and pops vtec hard so its has to be a race car". Plus its also a lot of WRX, Mustangs, and Miatas (i have to deal with Haggard Garage people since they're 15 minutes away from me so miatas are the god car around here...) You rarely see a Mini drive around or even go to a meet.

But i though a JCW did come with a few extra things besides just a badge, like exhaust and intake?

14. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Yes, JCWs do come with a lot more performance items than a S. The badge engineering really started with the newest series three MINIs.

15. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    We call Hondas "Hoovers" around here because they all have vacuum sized fart cans for exhaust. :lol:

16. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if this is a complete scrub questions, still new to the mini world. But where precious models before the R56s marked as a John Cooper Works or did theu just go by thr basic Cooper S?
    Its horrible, there is way too many and the fart cans need to stop. Thankfully the handful of S2k owners around here arent dumb enough to put a exhuast like that on their car. But race car civics are the bane of existence around here since apparently theyre a race car, they all have extreme body rot but theyre counted as a clean car and apparently they also like to slam the living hell out of them by cutting their springs.

17. haliphics

haliphics New Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So im so loving this car. But one thing im slowely getting concerned by is for what i thibk is the annoying timing chain rattle of doom. Are there any good videos of what it truely sounds like. The engine is at 75k and sold by a Mini dealer so i would think they would have replaced it before sale but i rather act fast sincd thanks to MA thry have to cover issues withing 90 days.

18. Savvy

Savvy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Apr 16, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer/DA Civilian
    DE
    Ratings:
    +2,024 / 0 / -0
    HAHAHAHA.... you think a dealer is going to willingly throw money into a car that will likely end up with a nice service repair tab after their measly 90day warranty?!

Good luck trying to get them to fix something that isn't quite broken yet.