New Parts... I have some questions

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by Minicoop19, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Minicoop19

Minicoop19 New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So Christmas is right around the corner and the Clubby has compiled his wishlist for this year... Before I get into the new stuff, here is the old engine upgrades; K&N intake kit, ALTA catback exhasut, ALTA upgrade BOV spring, ALTA charge pipe...
    This is what im thinking:
    -Forge Upgrade Intercooler
    -Forge silicone Intercooler outlet hose and throttle body inlet hose
    -NM Engineering Stage 2 ECU Reflash

I keep seeing upgraded BOVs and I dont see why I'd need one since i have the upgraded spring which is rated at 40PSI... I'm not going near that haha
    But I wanted to get on here to see what you guys think and PLEASE give me your opinions... This is the first large engine change I'll be making and I want to be sure it's a good one for me and the car

Thanks
    Joe

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Everyone has opinions. Mine would be OEM Hoses,Helix Step Core Intercooler and an RMW Tune.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,869 / 10 / -3
    Sorry I can't help but it sounds like a good Christmas!

4. Minicoop19

Minicoop19 New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    First off thanks for the response, but could you expand on your choices
    The Forge intercooler came with a modified lower grill which appealed to me since I'm not really sure what this intercooler swap will entail.
    And do you know if RMW just reflashes the stock ECU or will I need to take the car out there:frown5:

Oh and I forgot to mention that its my daily, so reliability and streetability are key

5. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    The Helix intercooler fits behind the stock grille and bumper without any modifications. RMW (aka Jan Tune) is normally done at a tune event. Look for a schedule. The stock hoses work the best and last the longest. Many of us here rely on Jan and the parts listed have proven themselves as well. Send me a PM if you want a list of parts to avoid. I don't like to discredit products publically based on my personal preference.

6. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    Jan can also be found at MOTD doing tunes.:Thumbsup: Eric Helix will be there, too, so you could pretty much get your mods at the Dragon in May, if you contact them and set up appointments [they are VERY busy then].

7. Minicoop19

Minicoop19 New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately with school and internships, ill be unable to get down to the dragon... I'm not sure how I'm going to get my car tuned :eek:
    I do want what's best for my car, so if "canned" tunes are frowned upon, then I'm willing to wait for an opportunity to get it done by Jan in person... And tune event? Not sure what you mean...

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    "Tune event" = clubs and shops periodically schedule these around the country at locations where there is a dyno. Jan flies in and tunes a bunch of cars over a 2-3 day period.