1st Gen R53 Cooper S New Parts on the way!

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by oldvet53, Nov 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    So I pulled the trigger and ordered more parts today. From WMW I ordered a new Samco Intake hose in Red, a charcoal cabin air filter and a WMW Pulley kit with a 15% Pulley. And from Out Motoring I ordered a Power Steering Cooling Fan cover and a center console that goes in front of the cup holders and cigarette lighter. And next month I plan to order a A.T.I. Super Crank Pulley from WMW!:Thumbsup:

2. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like your car coming together quite nicely!!
    The ATI super-damper is nice to have...slightly lighter than the OEM, and much more reliable...noticed a very slight improvement in my idle as a plus.
    The Samco hoses are look nice...just be careful to install it carefully so the hose ends do not slip off in the future.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,667 / 2 / -0
    Sounds good, but don't forget the Detroit Tuned tensioner stop. That red hose is faster than the black. :wink:

4. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    If you thought you had a difference in power from yuor intake, wait until you get the pulley on :Thumbsup:

In all honesty, I think the OEM hoses are the best way to go... you really don't get anything out of the silicone ones except possible leaks.
    Just my opinion.

Good luck!

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: The Silicone ones don't deteriorate from the oil/petroleum junk in the engine compartment as fast the factory ones do(barring of course the new R56 N18 metal turbo intake pipe).:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #6 oldvet53, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    WMW has a new tensioner retainer made from plate stainless and has bushings so it allows the tensioner to do it's thing and still stop the tensioner from getting into the crank pulley. Apparently they had issues with the cable type and have just come out with this one, thats why I ordered the red one as I'll be ordering a new set of red plug wires.:thumbs up:

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,667 / 2 / -0
    My MINI has no oil gunk in the engine compartment.:D Myst be that your catching can is a leaker. :ihih:

I'm with Kitty, IMHO those hoses are sort of low on the bang on the buck scale. They do look nice though. I lusted after them too, when I first got my MINI. After thinking about it I spent that money on more donuts. :donut1:

For my money the Detroit Tuned is the way to go. Way to many of them out there doing a fine job. :D

8. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't but the stock hose had age cracks in it when I installed the DDMworks Intake but they had not gone all the way through. I am going to do the front top motor mount and top rear motor mount and lower as the upper rear has age cracks and the front top has what looks like a black sludge coming out the bottom. So that's next on the list and will have all done at the same time as the pulleys.:Thumbsup:

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,667 / 2 / -0
    Man it is hell to get old.... :(

10. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Yeah :frown2:

11. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    #11 oldvet53, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    I just rolled over 101000 today after I transferred my Disabled tag, now I don't have that rattling in the boot and my "BARLEY STREET LEGAL" plate holder adds some class! I'm going to have to start driving the truck more as I haven't been out of the MCS R53 since I got it! I hardly ever drove the Scion except for driving to the Little Rock V.A. or to visit the kids!:Thumbsup:

12. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

13. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I'm intrigued by this new WMW tensioner stop. Post up your impressions. How does it avoid making noise?

14. oldvet53

oldvet53 New Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Disabled/Retired
    N.E. Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    The way it looks to me it is a stainless strap that has a hole at one end and a slot on the other and has one round bushing to go in the hole end and a round bushing that has been cut down to fit inside the slot and the bolts that hold the hydraulic damper on goes through each bushing and leaves just enough clearance for it to move with the tensioner. Or at least that's how it looks to me, I talked to someone at WMW this morning and I asked about the cable type and he referred me back to the website to see it. You may want to check it out or maybe the WMW guy that is on this forum may chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.:idea:

15. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    #15 ZippyNH, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

It is basically a clone of the DT tuned strap...a cable style one. They are silent. They just sit and wait...if the belt on the tensioner fails...it just prevents it from over extending, and striking the crank damper and damaging it, and it self....I think there have been a few BAD clones around,, made with cheap aluminum eyelets...but IMO no worries if you get them from WMW or DT tuned!!
    Best insurance is to regularly change the belt...IMO yearly with the 17%, and every other year with the 15%...but if you loose the belt...say at an auto-x event from over reving, the stop can save you some serious $$...
    One tip...the cable Style stops DO WEAR...the eyelets on the ends can rub, and overtime can wear-through....so when you do any type of heavy MX, take a look at it!!
    The newer style that waymoroworks is now selling....not sure, have not seen it, but it looks good, heck it eliminates the main way the cable style ones fail....so looks like a winner!!
    [​IMG]
    WMW Tensioner Stop - Way Motor Works[​IMG]

The stop style employed by ALTA has been modified and changed a few times....but most folks conclude it makes noise...buzzes or rattles...the only plus is some find it slightly simpler to put on..it goes OVER the tensioner, rather than UNDER the bolts on it....but anybody who has ever had a rattle or a buzz in a motor knows the issue.............

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    OK...lets clean up the previous post :)rolleyes5:)

The WMW is NOT a clone of the DT stop. It is a solid piece and imo a better design than the DT one as you know it will perform as designed w/o failing. I have an earlier version of the WMW one (from a different vendor, no longer made) and besides a little bit of a rattle that can only be heard with the hood up, works great.

Another option is the replacement for the damper from Alta. Instead of dealing with the damper or bushings failing, you simply have an adjustable tensioner arm.

ALTA Performance — — R53 Tension Stop

17. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,923 / 1 / -0
    Rattle should be able to be controlled if you use a spring washer in conjunction with the fastener...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353092522.265591.jpg

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,667 / 2 / -0
    Heck man just turn up the tunes!!! ;)

19. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Before alta came out with the new tensior, they sold a stop....was a noisy hunk of metal...yhey then shipped some foam thinggs to quiet it..had a million threads on it back in the day......etc, etc....they finely gave up on it, and redesigned then tensioner entirely....eliminating it as an add on stop....it becomes a aftermatket replacemnt part....
    Over the years, there have been several desgins for stops...the ones that have endured are the simple, cheap cable...many places have made their own....a few with poor results...slightly too long, or soft eyletsthat wear, or crimps that don't hold when it is called to perform.
    The newest one...from waymotorworks looks line a winner...heck one of the FEW NEW AND INNOVATIVE products for the r53 in a couple years....adresses a few issues.

20. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    We've installed about 20 of them for testing and not had any make noise. I was concerned about it making noise and if they do we should be able to just put a nylon washer or like Metalman showed those washers. Our goal was to make something that would actually work and not come apart. The new Alta one isn't even a shock. Its the same as a sway bar link with no dampening like the original shock so it's not going to let the tensioner work like it was originally designed. Also it's really expensive.

We also have delrin bushings for the shock now.
    WMW Supercharger Belt Damper Bushing Set - Way Motor Works