Jim

3. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Nice:Thumbsup: My pedals are starting to show their age, will have to consider those.

Mark

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    3 month update: :Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

I was a little worried these things would actually have too much grip/friction and that I would regret installing them. I was wrong. I also worried about the little bolts and screws working their way loose but I used thread locker so I don't expect trouble there. Otherwise there's not much else to say...they're pedals. They look good, the size/shape is excellent (clutch and brake slightly larger than stock) and the feel is great.

Highly recommended!

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Looks good. I'm just curious, how hard was the install? I am always worried that I would drill the holes not perfectly straight and having the pedals just slightly off would get the best of my OCD.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    For me the hardest part of the install was access. I share the same disorder to an extent so getting up close and personal at just the right angles was important...and a bit challenging for someone over 6'...with a spine...and long arms...and bifocals. Beyond that and aside from worrying about the outcome and over-thinking the marking for drill holes, the installation itself was easy.

There is no template, you apply masking tape to the pedals and then hold the cover exactly where you want it and mark through holes in the cover with a pencil. Next step is to dimple the exact center of those pencil marks on the pedal with a center punch. Best to use an automatic center punch, its much easier than finding room under there for the punch, a hammer, and your head, hands, etc, plus the mark will end up exactly where you want it.

A certain amount of intelligence is required because 1) the instructions are not MINI-specific and 2) you have access to the rear of the brake and clutch pedals so you can use the supplied bolts (screws for the gas pedal)...which requires you to exercise a few of your little gray cells. While you're lining up the covers to mark the hole locations, you need to think carefully about exactly where the arms are attached to the backs of the pedals so you'll not only avoid drilling into the arms but also have enough clearance for the nuts on the rear of the pedals.

If you're careful, you'll end up with clearance in all the right places and the covers will be nicely aligned horizontally and vertically with the pedals, though they won't be perfectly centered horizontally. The covers are slightly wider and will completely cover the pedals so you won't be able to see this ~ 1/16" delta once the installation is complete.

So, access and decision-making were the only challenges. Once I made up my mind exactly how to attach what, where, the rest was simple.

7. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    They look good :Thumbsup:
    Wouldn't mind getting rid of the "foot slipping off the pedals" myself.

8. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
  9. Number Six

Number Six New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Internet Marketing Manager
    Vermont, USA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Those look niiice! Mine are too new to replace, but not loving them, someday.

10. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Steve, did you find that one is plastic (clutch) and the other metal?

Jim

11. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    [​IMG]

Looks similar to the ones I chose for my R53 from Ultimate Pedals.

I picked brake/clutch pedals that I could shift left/right by 1 set of screw holes and still cover the black ovals under the stainless... I think they are sized for an older Ferrari.

12. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Yes, and the arm is plastic as well. It's one molded piece if I remember correctly. That one required the most time deciding exactly where to position the cover because the plastic arm is much thicker than the metal arm on the brake pedal so clearance next to it (back of the clutch pedal) is at a premium.

13. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    It's the same company. I just looked at the paperwork and though I ordered through coopersport.com the name/address on the shipping paperwork is Ultimate Pedals. To confuse things even more, the email listed is [email protected]...

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Same setup I have. They brake and clutch pedals are of Testarossa vintage. The work great. Can't say enough about them. Add in a pair of Minnetonka Driving Moc's in moose hide and you'll never slip off the pedals.

[​IMG]

15. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Lets see if I get this right...

Bimmian purchased Coopersport, they sell Ultimate Pedal products.

Outmotoring sells the Rennline brand ones. I hear they are very good. Rennline is known in Porsche circles for some cool stuff.

16. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    When I did my install, I applied double-sided tape to the black pedal blanks and then positioned the brake and clutch pedal covers over and over again until I was happy with alignment, etc. Then I used a spring-loaded punch to make a drill starting point and used a series of drill bits in increasing sizes to make sure that the holes were properly centered on the punch marks.

17. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    The brake is the one that gave me a problem. Couldn't get the drill at the correct angle and the hole went off mark. I'm sure there is a fix, but I haven't taken the time to figure it out yet. Maybe next spring. :cryin:

Jim

18. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    I had the ultimate pedals, and switched to the Rennline pedals. I like the Rennlines much better--much nicer looking, and with the heel and toe extension options, more adjustible. I can actually use my heel now to downshift very easily with the heel extension, as the gas pedal extends almost underneath the brake. I took off the toe extension, it was just getting in the way. Highly recommend these, but they're not cheap.

19. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I see what you mean. Rennline list the extensions at $45 (I hope that's for the set, heel and toe), but I like the option of being able to remove/replace at will. I'd like it even better if you could order only the lower extension and pay an appropriate price for the single piece.

[​IMG]

The Ultimate Pedals heel-toe gas pedal is a one-piece deal, the extension can't be removed. If you check their site you'll only see the lower left side extension (here it is, in "smooth" finish).

[​IMG]

But if you order through Cooper Sport they list lower left, upper left, or full left side extensions. If you want an extension you pick one option and that adds $25 but, again, you can't change your mind and easily remove/replace the extension like you apparently can with the Rennlines.

Like I said in post #1, I like the way the stock configuration works -- it's my big feet and shoes, I have trouble avoiding hitting both gas and brake -- so I stuck to the stock shaped covers for the working pedals.

FWIW, the Ultimate Pedals versions come in a bunch of different finish configurations. Shiny, frosted, smooth, anti-slip, with or w/out either domed or flat rubber grip inserts. You can see them all here.

20. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I have Steve's brake and clutch Ultimate Pedals and Aaron's gas pedal. I slid the gas over closer to the brake, and it works well for me. They're close enough to toe/toe on the street (same as heel/toe when you rock side to side), and I usually wear narrow shoes. On the track, my Pumas are even narrower - closer to a climbing shoe - but I started doing the real heel/toe maneuver and pointing my ankle towards 10 o'clock.

The metal pedals are great, plenty of grip, just be careful when it's wet and your shoes are slick. They're also rough on the soles of your shoes.