3rd Gen Most liked posts in thread: New possible jcw clubman owner, have some q's

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    #6 MCS02, Feb 13, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Hi @keehs360
    Heres a link to a page that has a video explaining the all4

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/11/02/video-mini-all4-wheel-drive-system-explained/

The motor in the mini is the same one that BMW has used for years. Lots of BMW guys have done tunes on that motor. So finding a good tune should be easy. Jan at RMW does know his stuff. I don't think he sales caned tunes you will need to check with him. If you have a place near you with a Dyno he can do remote tunes, also I believe you can send him a data log for him to do a costume tune. My R58 has a mild RMW tune Jan did, it comes on when I press the sport bottom.
    Boy Howdy! the front wheels brake free in the first 3 gears. I also have a a few other mods.

https://www.revolutionmini.com

Questions

2) as @wmwny everyone I know say Minis are excellent in snow with the forest tires

3) Yes they are good brakes

4) Before you option it out decide what Mods you will be doing. If your Modding the car it may be cheaper to buy after market parts. For instance on the first Gen Minis I remember it being cheeper to get a good set of coil overs instead of getting the sport suspension. STAY AWAY FROM the HK sound system. On the first and second Gen Minis the amp went out a lot its only a thousand buck to replace new, with no warranty. I know, my second one just went out on my R58. You can find them used for cheeper. Before you buy that over priced option I would make sure HK has learned to make an amp.

5) you said Countryman then Clubman. You want a Clubman? I would lean to a GTI myself. I think there is room for an adult back there but only short trips.

6) I think so

8) I don't know but there are aftermarket devices that plug into the OBD2 port that will

9) I don't think there is individual modes, you would have to ask the dealer.

What are you wanting to do with the car? and how much room do you need. I love Mini but would like you to get what you want. Maybe some others will chime in with their opinion.

I am very sorry to hear about your leg. Thank you for your service really does not say enough.

Lee

2. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A, Tony!
    Sorry, but I cannot comment much on the Clubman, but I CAN about the Aisan transmission. I'm a Gen 1 owner and have 2 2006 R53s with the Aisan transmission. One [my wife's] is stock and she really likes it. Since buying her car in 2013 at 26.k miles, she now has 96 k on the car with nary a whimper from the transmission. MY 2006 R53 has over 150k on it and I HAVE abused the transmission at the track and over the years in TN/NC at the Tail of the Dragon. I'm 75 and can no longer use a 6-speed as my knees are shot, but this MCSa is the most fun car I have ever owned and mine was bought off the lot, NEW in 2006. I plan to keep it until I can no longer drive.

My Gen 1 R53s are 2 wheel front drive, but wear snows on all 4 wheels. I've never gotten stuck and my S is lowered, so I can only imagine that your ALL4 with snows will do just fine.

Insofar as ECU tuning goes, Jan Bruggerman [sic?] does the best one. I have one of his ecu tunes on my MCSa.

Sorry I can't offer more thoughts, but anyway, WELCOME TO M/A, again, and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    You can contact Jan at Revolution Motor Werks [or maybe Works]. He's on the West Coast somewhere, but travels the world doing ECU stuff, plus, his company makes superb MINI mods. He did my ecu tune while I was at MOTD a few years ago and still tracking my R53.

4. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    No matter what generation or model we own, we are ALL MINI owners here and we try our best to give help or advice whenever we can.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. keehs360

keehs360 New Member

Feb 12, 2021
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info!

in regards to the tuning, is it one of those things where you gotta ship the ecu? Go in person? Or load the tune into an obd device and flash the car yourself?

I can’t drive manual anymore. Due to injuries I sustained in the army, my left leg is in a bad way. I swapped my wrx for a gti as soon as I was told about amputation being in the cards

either way. Thanks again!

6. keehs360

keehs360 New Member

Feb 12, 2021
    Male
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!

7. keehs360

keehs360 New Member

Feb 12, 2021
    Male