2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: New to forum and P1497 code...

1. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Another thing is you may want to get an oil catch can. This can help with it.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini Site. :Thumbsup:

You also want to change your oil way more often then MINI / BMW says.(12 K -15 K)

3. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Welcome!

I've been changing my oil at about 5K.

I have a BSH Oil Catch Can.

BSH Mini Cooper R56 Competition Catch Can - BSH Speedshop

Because it has a baffle and also a dipstick to check the level of dino snot that accumulates.

If you get one, you have to block off the PCV line that goes to the throttle body, or it will be ineffective. Some people remove the hose and block off the holes with a plug from a Peugeot or an Audi. I have a boost gauge, so I used BSH's Dual Boost Tap.

BSH R56 Mini Cooper Direct Dual Boost Tap - BSH Speedshop

It comes with a plug that blocks the PVC line but leaves it in place.

I'm not promoting their stuff, it's just what I bought.

The other PVC line goes through the turbocharger, so if you block off the primary PVC line you must put an oil catch can on the other line.

It keeps the oil mist, coming from the PCV system, from cooking on the backs of the intake valves and eventually blocking the intakes, a common problem on our direct injected engines.

In the winter, I empty mine weekly, when I check the oil in the engine. I use one of these, from Harbor Freight to suck the goop out of the catch can, through the dipstick hole.

Battery Filler

It doesn't collect as much in the summer as in the winter, with cooler temperatures.

Dave

4. Mini'mon

Mini'mon New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    MINI Performance Parts Designer
    San Francisco, CA
    Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Clint from Defenders of Speed here,

If you haven't ordered that catch can yet, but want to get it relatively quickly, DoS is up in San Francisco. We have BSH R56 Oil Catch Cans and R56 Dual Boost Taps in stock and ready to ship.

We also have our N14 Seafoam Fogger Kits in stock to help keep your intake valves happy & carbon-free.

(That's the end of my product plug!:arf:) I wish you sincere good luck with getting your current MINI woes sorted out.

-Clint

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Yes I wouldn't give up that experience of high adrenalin/adventure for anything. Those experiences(some bad some good) bind us together like no other group on earth. High adventure and someone trying to kill you, nothing else like it. Of course we do carry a little baggage with us thereafter which only a knowing loving wife or another combat veteran can understand. I now know why combat veterans tend to be quiet about their experiences. When I told non veterans about it they would recoil in horror, one attorney even telling me that I was a cold calculating murderer. Not murder sir,war.:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Dude, you're just all sorts of trouble aren't you???? :lol:

7. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    This is a bummer man. All stuff that could have been prevented if the previous owner was an enthusiast. But now you are the enthusiast and will keep it running like it should!

8. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    You can get them a lot of places.
    Here is a link to Helix: Helix Motorsports

There is some new theories that are saying the catch can keeps air flowing properly and helps prevent the carbon build-up. At least on the top side of the engine.

Like Dave.0 said..... Changing your oil every 5k is IMPERATIVE in your R56... Especially since the turbo uses oil for cooling.

Good luck.

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0

:cornut:I have all of this on Margi(08 BRG R56 MCS/JCWm) except the 'fogger' and all works fine and no carbon problems ~50kmi. I do 'Seafoam'(the aerosol Seafoam) every 3kmi but through the intake as there wasn't a fogger when I bought the BSH OCC and BSH dual tap boost(very important part that forces ALL of the blow by through the OCC) from(drum roll) Defenders Of Speed 50kmi ago. They're good people.:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I agree... Can't be saving gas either. Sometimes those Germans over think things :crazy:

11. ccain

ccain Active Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    #41 ccain, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    Thanks for your service!

HOOAH!

12. ccain

ccain Active Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    Well gang,

I picked up my MINI this morning. They performed the whole "walnut shell" cleaning, replaced the plugs, clean the fuel system... Yatta-yatta.

HOLY COW!!! The throttle has never beed sharper and the car runs COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! It idles smooth and sounds great!

I thought I loved this car before! Geeze, what a difference! I am well chuffed! :beer

13. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Glad you got it back and it's running well.
    You may have to plan on doing the walnut blast every so often... this will happen again.

14. ccain

ccain Active Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0

Well, hopefully after I do a few mods and take better care of the car than the PO did, it should last a while. Either way, I'm going down to the bank and start another savings account just for this car. :crazy:

I don't wanna get caught with my pants down again. :biggrin5:

15. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I was told by my mechanic to keep a savings account for the MINI :lol:

Good luck!

16. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I'm not touching that one! Bad visual :frown2:

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

P1497 - Downstream Throttle Air Leak - ECU Codes Chart - 2nd Generation MINI - Library

You don't mention what you spent the $300 on to stop the whistle. Knowing what you did there can help us point to other issues that may be causing the CEL.

18. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/A.

Sorry I don't have your answer, but if you wait a bit someone will know what to do.

19. ccain

ccain Active Member
    Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    #4 ccain, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    Sorry Nathan. Sometimes I forget that others are unaware of the ramblings bouncing around in my head. :D

And Nathan, I can't thank you enough for compiling all that info. This was the site that answered my question of the code meaning. It's VERY clear that a LOT of work went into that library! Thank you again!!!

Anyway, I had to buy a new cylinder head cover. Oh, and just for reference sake, if you have a need to replace the valve cover don't search "MINI Valve Cover". You'll waste hours and hours searching and finding nothing. It seems like these quirky little cars need exact "Queen's English" nomenclature to find anything on-line for sale.

So after several hours and by sheer luck, I found a link that listed the part and part number I needed listed as "Cylinder Head Cover".

And even though I'm the son of an ex-pat, I find that my American upbringing is to stubborn to get past. I've got to get reacquainted with terms like "boot", "bonnet" and "gator". Hahaha. Heck, depending what side of the ocean the website you're looking at is on, if you look up replacement hood's you get listings for convertible tops. :D

20. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Welcome. The is a great site.

BTW- what does "gator" mean other than the reptile?