1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible New to me 2006 Mini Covertible Issues

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Skyking772002, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Skyking772002

Skyking772002 New Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    New to the site as I've had the Mini for 6 Months now. Its a great car and has driven well until the other day. The wife went to work and found the battery had died. She tried to jump it with my battery box and got it running but did not drive it as she was afraid of it stranding her. I went and got a Interstate battery (My prefered) and pulled the old one. Hey six years it was due. Installed the new one and fired right up for a trip to the store. The shift points where all over the place. Felt like it was going crazy. If I got off the gas at 3k rpm it would shoot up to 4k then drop down. It bucked a bit mostly in the 2nd and 3rd gear. I tried to influence the shift by doing the manual bias and that helped.

I read somewhere and one of the import garages says its a programming issue and sometimes they just need to be driven. I'm freakin out. HELP. Rather not have to drop a ton of cash on a brand new car that had no issues before this. Any advice or words of encouragement?

2. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    The resetting your ecu first to see if that solves anything.

1. With the key in the ignition, but in the off position, press and hold down the odometer reset button with one hand, while holding the button down, switch the key in the ignition to position 1 (first click) with the other hand.

2. The screen will have a number and the word “tEStâ€.

3. Scroll through the numbers by pressing the odometer rest button, through to 19 and wait a moment. (Note: the number order is: 1,2,10,19)

4.The message will say 19 "L i-off", flash to "L i-on", and back to "L i-off" again. When "log i-off" appears, press the odometer rest button again. You are now in the system.

5. Scroll through to 21. tESt and wait a moment. 21.0 rESEt will come up. Press the button once.

6. Your gauges will now make some sounds and movements. Once the lights come back on start your car. You have now reset your ECU and your MINI is now ready to relearn the new mods and your driving style.

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^ Good call Gizmo. :yesnod:

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Welcome to MA. I'm glad that GIZMO is getting you fixed up.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    These cars can sometimes be full of gremlins ;-)

[​IMG]

6. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    welcome to m/a