Benny The Bouncer New Member

Sep 28, 2018
    Male
    Musician
    Los Angeles, CA - New York, NY - Honolulu, HI
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hey all,

I'm so new, I don't even have a MINI yet! But I recently was driven around in a 2011 Clubman S (with the N18 engine), by a friend of mine who A) really knows how to drive (was an amateur racer and won a few things at Sears Point), and B) put in an NM chip.

I'm looking for a second more practical car, since I just got myself a 2006 Z4 which I love, but is, well, a little impractical for taking kids and their related gear around. So, after this amazing experience with my pal's Clubman S, I'm seriously thinking of going in this direction. I still want fun. :)

So, my only question is, is there any difference in cargo space between the late 2011s and now? (I know, I might also want to look at the Countryman, etc., but for now I think the Clubman will be enough.

Thanks all!

Benny

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M\A, sorry I don’t know anything about clubmans other then they are long.

Some one will be by soon that should be able to help you.

3. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Welcome! I can’t answer your question, as I have a hatch that I took the rear seat out of, so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Benny The Bouncer

Sep 28, 2018
    Male
    Musician
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Yeah, no big hurry, but appreciate the welcome!

5. Benny The Bouncer

Sep 28, 2018
    Male
    Musician
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I would almost do that, except my son has turned into a drummer... argh! :)

6. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the modness...a great site and great people. Whatever car you get, be careful...they are addicting

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA! The new clubman is bigger, it has 4 full doors. You need to drive both to see what You like. I believe the Gen2 Clubman would be much more nimble and fun to Mod.
    Do you work on your cars? Do you plan to do any Mods?

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Welcome to M/ABenny. My wife has 2008 justa clubster (no turbonium). It has been a great car & it's a fun drive. But would be more funner with a snail on the engine.

The new 4 door clubmanster is a pretty large car, in fact bigger than my GTI. Not sure how much fun it would be or wouldn't be. My take is it should be called a maxi & not a MINI.

Have fun searching for your fun ride. Good luck.

[​IMG]

9. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Benny,

The Gen 1 (R55) is smaller than the Gen 2 (F54) by a pretty significant amount. The Gen 1 is a 3 door (two front doors and a half back door on the passenger side). You mentioned you have boys, depending on their age and how long you plan to own the car the most ergonomic will be the 2nd gen with full size doors and more back seat leg room. That said, like others mentioned it's probably not as nimble. However I bet it's still fun to drive and will be more nimble. I say that with no experience of driving either. Regarding the exact specs, I did a quick search and Wikipedia has this to say:

Gen 1 (R55)
    Identical to the 3-door hatchback from the B-pillar forward, the Clubman features a length increased by 240 mm (9.4 in), an 80 mm (3.1 in) longer wheelbase, increased rear-seat leg room and cargo space deeper by 160 mm (6.3 in), providing an increased 260 litres (9.2 cu ft) of space – growing from a total of 680 to 920 litres (24 to 32 cu ft) with the rear seats folded. The Clubman model weighs 64 kilograms (141 lb) more than its two-door counterpart.

Gen 2 (F54)
    The new model, based on the BMW UKL2 platform, features more space.[10] At the time of its debut, the Mini Clubman was the largest Mini ever manufactured by the brand, measuring 427 centimetres (168.3 in) long and it is wider measuring 180 centimetres (70.9 in) in comparison to the previous 396-centimetre (155.9 in). The new model has 4 doors for passengers.

Since you are talking about hauling around the family, but you still want to have fun the best bet would be to drive:
    • Gen 1 and Gen 2 Clubman
    • Gen 1 and Gen 2 Countryman
    See which one you like best. Personally, I would get at least the "S" in either model.. or the JCW. Some of that depends on if you want to mod them etc.

Here are the links to the two wiki articles I referenced:
    Clubman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Clubman
    Countryman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_Countryman

Happy hunting - let us know which you like best... and welcome to MA!

Josh

10. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I own a Gen1 Clubman S and it's been perfect for what I do, but putting my two fur kids in the backseat is still a PITA even with the third door so for real kids I'd suggest the 4 door Countryman, either Gen is fine but again the latest version is even larger, both inside and out so for max room that's the way to go. In the 2.0 turbo version you should have all the performance you're looking for, but neither of the Country/Club versions handle as nimbly and quickly as the Gen1 Clubman. But, you might find them extremely entertaining and fun as they are. My advice - go drive one and see what you think

11. Benny The Bouncer

Sep 28, 2018
    Male
    Musician
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I know! I hadn't even considered a Mini for the purposes I was thinking of, but after lunch and a short drive with my buddy, I couldn't stop thinking about the damn thing, haha!

12. Benny The Bouncer

Sep 28, 2018
    Male
    Musician
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Thanks for that! My buddy had a Gen 2, and "nimble" is putting it mildly! It was a blast! His was the stick, and he put in that chip I mentioned.

I don't work on my own car (besides regular stuff), but I'll probably stick my toes in the water a bit more... :)

13. Benny The Bouncer

Sep 28, 2018
    Male
    Musician
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hey Crashton, thanks for the helpful pic! I actually had considered a Jetta for a minute. But I still have to have some fun, right?

14. Benny The Bouncer

Sep 28, 2018
    Male
    Musician
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Josh!

I only have one son, but he comes with a drum set! And I myself am a bass player, so definitely either a Gen 2 or 3 Club or I am still considering a Countryman as well..

And I figure if I get a later model, I could bequeath it to him in a year or so, if all the drive spirit hasn't been Uber-ed out of him by then!

But yes, whichever one I get will most definitely have an "S" in the moniker!

15. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Welcome to M/A!

16. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    And Benny...reserve the first week in May for an event called MINIS ON THE Dragon. It's so much fun it should be illegal.

17. Benny The Bouncer

Sep 28, 2018
    Male
    Musician
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! I'll let everyone know once I'm an actual, card-carrying member of the MINI elite! :)

18. Benny The Bouncer

Sep 28, 2018
    Male
    Musician
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Will do! But wait, what the heck is that, and where?

19. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,027 / 6 / -5
    Welcome to Motoring Alliance and good luck in your quest.

20. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    A Jetta sure wouldn't be my pick for fun. I was a long time MINI owner 9 yrs until the Doc said "get thee an automatic" to preserve my bum left knee. My plan was to get a new new MINI, but it just wasn't my cup o tea. Great cars & all just not for me. Very happy with my German bread-van. :)