NHSTA to Kill Heel-Toe

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    A while back I wrote about the Toyota mat recall and how it was going to be the start of the end of Heel Toe.

Welp, our friends in Washington, NHSTA, announced a new proposal on Thursday that would require vehicles to be outfitted with brake-throttle override (BTO) systems to prevent vehicles from unintentional acceleration due to stuck throttles.

The proposal comes despite the fact that nearly all 2012 and newer vehicles already come equipped with such systems, and regulators can’t say just how many injuries or deaths the rule would prevent. A government probe into the unintended acceleration of Toyota and Lexus vehicles also showed that most of the incidents involving those makes were due to driver error.

Under the new proposal, developed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), all new cars and light trucks would be required to have these override systems. The override systems, which automatically activate if the accelerator and brake are touched simultaneously, would be required in all passenger vehicles and buses weighing less than 10,000 pounds.

The NHTSA wants the proposal to go into effect for all vehicles by the 2015 model year. And since most passenger vehicles already have such systems installed, the Department of Transportation (DOT) expects costs to auto manufacturers to be “close to zero.â€

The proposal comes on the heels of two investigations looking into the unintended acceleration problem. Both the NHTSA and NASA probes concluded that there were no electronic defects in the vehicle models studied, but they found that in some cases drivers had accidentally pressed the brake and gas pedal at the same time of that gas pedals had become trapped in some way.

An August 2009 high-speed crash gained national attention when a Lexus driven by a California highway officer crashed near San Diego, killing all four people on board. Investigators determined that the officer applied the brake of the loaned car but was unable to override the accelerator, which was stuck wide-open, being trapped by the floor mat.

After several more accidents involving both Lexus and Toyota model vehicles, Toyota Motor Corp. in February 2011 recalled more than 2 million vehicles in the US to address the accelerator issue. The recall prompted NHTSA to close its investigation, but only after fining Toyota $50 million for not recalling the vehicles in a timely manner.

The NHTSA said the BTOs aim to minimize the risk of drivers losing control of their vehicles due to accelerator-control system disconnections or accelerator-pedal sticking or floor-mat entrapment. The BTO systems is set up so that the brake wins when both the brake and accelerator are pushed simultaneously.

“While NHTSA’s defect investigation program will continue to monitor and consider consumer complaints of any potential vehicle safety issues, this proposal is one way the agency is helping keep drivers safe and continuing to work to reduce the risk of injury from sticky pedals or pedal entrapment issues,†NHTSA’s administrator, David Strickland, told Reuters in a statement.

The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers have been urging for regulators to make override systems standard on new vehicles for two years, said agency vice president Gloria Bergquist. She said the alliance would review the new NHTSA proposal.

The public will also have 60 days to comment on the proposal. If the proposal passes a 60-day comment period and becomes a final rule by October 1, the BTO requirement would go into effect on September 1, 2014, according to the NHTSA.

“By updating our safety standards, we’re helping give drivers peace of mind that their brakes will work even if the gas pedal is stuck down while the driver is trying to brake,†said DOT Secretary Ray LaHood in a statement.

Toyota maintained from the very beginning that the problem was the result of faulty floor mats that could pin the gas pedal to the floor. And LaHood, in early 2011, announced that the federal probe launched on the issue agreed with Toyota.

“There is no electronic-based cause for unintended high-speed acceleration in Toyotas,†LaHood said in February 2011.

However, one analyst was critical of the proposed rule.

“There’s the risk that an override system could provide a false sense of security for drivers, especially in cases where a driver accidentally applies the wrong pedal, and an override will do nothing to solve the problem,†said Jeremy Anwyl, vice chairman of autos and sales analyst Edmunds.com.

“While this mandate might help prevent some other causes of sudden unintended acceleration, a brake override system could impact everyday drivability and generate other sorts of customer complaints if not executed properly,†he said.

The complete 98-page Brake-Throttle Override system proposal can be found here.

Source: redOrbit (NHTSA Proposes Brake-Throttle Override Systems - Technology News - redOrbit)

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you......

Amerika!

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Left foot braking is a dying art... :(

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure Way can find a way to take care of this with his handy, dandy computer program. :D

Jim

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Meh, who needs it anyway. I'm just gonna use the Batman rapid deployment anchor/steel wire turn assist system. :Thumbsup:

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Nah. I'm just going to get the government to take me everywhere I need to go on mass transit.

Mass transit doesn't go to the Dragon? Well then, Uncle Sugar says I don't "need" to go there. He's so much wiser than me.

7. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Darn, I never did this until minimark explained the fine points of heel-n-toe to me and now I'll miss not doing it. Way to go Mark. :lol:

Jim

8. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    See, that is why I refuse to ever listen to his explanations. :devil:

9. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all....lol

2cents

10. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    2cents = legal disclaimer

2cents:p

11. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    This is retarded. How could pressing both pedals trap the gas pedal, they're like 4 inches apart? ******* bureaucrats. I guess if you are driven by a chauffeur all the time you don't know how a car operates. Nothing better to do than make up yet more laws and blah blah blah... sorry I'm starting to rant. I'm OK now:eek:

12. Rawhyde

Rawhyde Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Facilities Engineer
    Mountains of NW Georgia
    Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    This is bad in a couple of ways:

1. Some (most if not all) automakers will use this as an excuse to stop making cars with manual transmissions altogether. That is unless the government mandates computerized automatics for "emissions" or "effiency" reasons.

B. Once this new "safety feature" becomes standard, anyone who asks about a workaround or complains about it will be loudly and violently shouted down for advocating breaking the law. Anyone else remember threads on other forums complaining about the neverending seat belt reminder chimes? Anyone asking about something to stop the incessant noise would be self righteously shouted down. For the record, I wear my seat belt and advise anyone else to as well. I don't like noise. When I'm swapping cars around in the yard, backing a boat down a ramp (or otherwise spotting a trailer), I often don't buckle up. I figure if I die in a collision at less than 5 mph, it was my time to go.

I mean this to be tongue in cheek and a little amusing, but there is something to really dread here. It's going to happen, we can't stop it, and it ain't going to help anything.

Rawhyde

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    More nanny's on the way. That is for certain! :frown2:

14. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Think it was Hubert Humphry who, so long ago said something to the effect; the people don't know what they need, we'll tell them what they need....

I for one will not go quietly into the sheep pen.:sly:

15. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    #15 ronnie948, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    Cars are safer now then ever

You can now buy cars that not only park themselves but if you are texting and wander out of your lane a buzzer or something will go off to warn you that you may have a head on collision or run off of the road. There is another one that will warn you if you are about to rear end some other car. If you need to finish your text your car will actually stop before you smack into the car in front of you.

These safety measures work not only if your texting but will probably be great if you are drunk or just plain eating your dinner while driving. Lady's, Now you need not worry about applying your makeup on your way to work because these safety measures will also help you.

Drive all night because your to cheap or stupid to get a room. Don't worry, There is a nice safety measure that will buzz you awake if you fall asleep at the wheel.

Now, If none of these safety measures work for you and you have an accident you can always sue the car maker because the accident will be their fault for not protecting you as well as they should have.

These safety measures will be great for, Men shaving, anyone dialing the cell phone, Playing with the GPS, drinking, eating, using the I-Pad placed on to steering wheel, reading the newspaper or book, Reading a nook or anything else that absolutely as to be accomplished while driving.

:mad2::mad5::mad::incazzato::ihih:

Oh! I forgot about the back-up camera, You don't even have to turn your head to see what is behind you anymore. The back-up 3 inch screen will clearly show you what is behind you.

16. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Laws passed to protect people from themselves, their own ignorance, and lack of education only encourages self abuse, ignorance and lack of education. They also increase government size and taxes.:Thumbsup:

Jason

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Another example of legislation to the lowest common denominator.......although I don't see this affecting most manual tranny cars. The MINI already has this type of nanny and it doesn't affect heel/toe at all. Now left foot braking is another story......

18. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Wait, minimark is teaching people how to drive? Oh boy. :wink: I'm smacking my forehead with the Invisible Hand.:biggrin5:

19. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Freaking crazy, ain't it? :screwy:

20. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    And this has all been long distance. Just wait until I can actually get in the car with him at MOTD. :D

Jim