NHTSA opens steering probe on '04-'05 Mini Cooper

Discussion in 'MINI News and Articles' started by Nathan, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Washington -- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has opened an investigation into power steering failures on 80,000 BMW AG Mini Cooper vehicles.

The 2004-2005 models under investigation are over complaints that "allege a loss of power steering assist due to power steering pump failure."

NHTSA has received 54 complaints and an undisclosed number of field reports.

"When the power steering assist stops working, it requires increased force to steer the vehicle. Some drivers reported experiencing difficulty while trying to steer or control the vehicle," NHTSA said in a statement on its website.

It's the latest investigation into steering issues by NHTSA.

Last month, NHTSA opened a preliminary investigation into steering issues reported on the 2011 Hyundai Sonata.

This week, Hyundai said it would recall 139,500 2011 Hyundai Sonata vehicles with a steering column part that may have been faulty or insufficiently tightened.

Earlier, NHTSA opened an investigation into possible loss of steering in the 2010 Kia Soul, after getting one complaint alleging total steering loss. That vehicle was two months old with 4,300 miles. NHTSA's investigation of the Kia Soul covers about 51,000 vehicles.

From The Detroit News: The Detroit News | detnews.com | Tuesday, September 28, 2010 | News, sports, features, blogs, photos and forums from Detroit and Michigan

2. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I wonder

if the braintrusts at the NTHSA will figure out that the problem is in all MINIs from introduction till the system changed with the 2nd gen car?

Reading over on MINI2, it seems the dealers there recognize that the system is, uh, problematic, and has done a lot of good will repairs and replacements. Here? We get the "First time I heard of that!" comments and the like.

Mine died mid turn at 108k miles. Dust build up was the problem.

Matt

3. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    <needs crossing fingers smilie>

4. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if would be retro-active. Reimbursing anyone who has already to pay for the repair/replacing on this pump.

Mine failed at 70k miles going straight down a hwy...

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It depends...

if there is a recall, then go to your MINI dealer and ask for some money. I'm sure if the request comes with the letterhead of "Dewey, Cheetum and How" it wouldn't hurt either!

Matt

6. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    That would be my first question: what is different about the 2004-2005 steering from the cars produced before and after??? Looks to be the same to me....

7. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    What does BMW have over the NHTSA that this has gone so long and now only for '04 & '05s. :mad2:

This is a BIG problem and the whole MINI community knows it, so does BMW :prrr:
    I'll stop here before I blow my top :incazzato:

Mark

8. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The NHTSA

does their investigations based on the years of the complaints. So go file your issues so they know where to look. Yes BMW/MINI knows about this, but they will only be held accountable when the big nasty gov says "step up" or someone files a class action lawsuit.

Go to the office of defect investigations and submit your complaint if you've had issues....

Matt

9. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'll be visiting the dealer. That is one thing that has not gone out on my '05 R53 and I just recently went over 80k miles.

Thanks for posting. My wife was just asking me about it as she had just heard about it on the news.

10. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the link :Thumbsup:. I'm on it. Everyone join in :D.

Mark

11. putterfarm

putterfarm New Member

May 18, 2009
    Bum.
    Pittsfield, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I just went to the link and called the number that was on the home page. Went right to a human, that's right---a HUMAN :D.
    He took al the info, filed a complaint and gave me a complaint number. It only took about 5 min. :Thumbsup:

Thanks Dr. O. :cool:

Mark

12. JCC

JCC New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Installation Manager
    Sachse, Texas
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Everyone who has had this issue needs to do this for sure. I'll let everyone know what find out from the dealer. I was going to go by anyway to see if I have ball joints going out. Might as well have them check the steering though they just replaced the steering rack under my aftermarket warranty.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Hows this for spin management....

14. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Notice the use of the word "mishaps"....

cause there are complaints! I know, I logged one as have others. I didn't crash cause of mine, so I guess it's not a mishap.

A really cool site is myCarStats.com. You can sign up for free, list the types of cars you care about, and they will e-mail you notifications about complaints, recalls, investigations etc. I just checked there and there are 15 complaints listed for steering systems on the 2005 MCS alone. 14 are failures (most total, a few intermittant) and one car fire. The last one I'd call a "mishap" for sure!

there are 24 complaints for 2004 on the MCS. I didn't check the rest of the years..... "First we've ever heard of it!" my foot!

Anyway,

Have fun with the site.

Matt