NHTSA proposes mandatory backup cameras in all new cars

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Just what we need, even more intervention to protect us from our laziness and stupidity. How much more cost, complexity and weight will systems like this add to already overbloated cars.

2. KLOIN

KLOIN New Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Plastic Marketing & Designer
    SE INdiana
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Look on the bright side. Now you can see how close that SUV to your ass & realize "Things in your rear window are stupider than they look".
    But you'll also be able to park in a shorter spot without testing your bumper, see the neighbors cat eye-to-eye, and get your ass out of the way when a car skids behind you in a snow storm_I've done this one and the guy hit the car infront of me.
    Merry Christmas and just smile as you get >30mpg and the SUV sucks up 15mpg idiling at the light on your Butt !!!!

3. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  4. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    See their point but me thinks teaching folks to be more aware when they operate a motor vehicle would be much less expensive than what its going to cost to add a backup camera to every car with a screen in the dash......and if folks don't look at the screen it will make no difference at all.

While very sad and tragic, the folks that started all this had their 18 month old run over by grand pa backing out of the driveway.... What the heck was everybody doing while the little Guy was crawling around in the driveway in the first place...and someone about to leave?

5. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Ah, so no personal responsibility here? Grand pa should not have been driving. Parents should have been watching their kid.

Instead we're going to take the "it takes a village" approach and make everyone spend money for their mistake.

Hate to say it but a cost benefit analysis would be appropriate here.

6. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Exactly..

"I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you." ;(

7. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    And what to do about these inconsiderate motorcycleists who insist on steering their bikes into the side of cars entering intersections against the light while the driver yaks away on their cell phone.

We've got runaway regulatory agencies that have no accountability to anyone. When we become a nation of sheep, the wolves will take over.

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    For the love of God, not another nanny. Backup nanny to the rescue of the stupid. Is this a great country or what? :crazy:

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I see nerf cars in our future. Safety foam to the rescue!!! :idea:

10. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    And it needs to be a camera system because....?

The Japanese, with a hugely crowded homeland, have had these sort of issues covered for decades. As we Brits drive on the left like the Japanese, we see this type of reversing mirror (top left of rear screen) on used SUV and minivan imports:

[​IMG]

The Japanese also require a second kerb-side rear view mirror on vehicles with high sides that could conceal a child:

[​IMG]

But I guess copying the existing Japanese specification would be too simple and logical.

11. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    .......and we'll buy those manditory camera systems from the Chinese.

12. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    While I completely agree with the "personal repsonsibility" part of this discussion, I also place the blame right back on the automaker's doorsteps. New cars are so high in the back with such tiny rear windows - you can't see out of them even if you are still young and supple enough to turn your head, lift your ass out of the seat and crane your neck!

If they're gonna build cars with no visibility out of them, then a camera is a must IMHO.

Of course, I'm not buying a car I can't see out of......cars from "back in the day" had seatbacks you could see over, rear windows big enough to see out of in all directions, and a back end that didn't stick up over the top of the window, so you could see something out of it!

We rented a new Hyundai Sonata a couple weeks ago while visiting out of town - I could not see out of that thing to back up - half the time I parked in pull thru spaces so I wouldn't have to try and reverse - it was just ridiculous, because otherwise it was a pretty nice car!

13. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    The mirror making Lobby has been quiet for many years in Washington. However the camera and electronics Lobby is alive and well. :cornut:

14. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    That depends how far back you go. Untill the 1950s I don't believe you would find any standard car that you could see a young child standing behind.

We are somewhere near the middle of an era of small windows - the majority of drivers have scared themselves into needing a tank to drive around in and anything bigger than a slit to see out of is too big. But this is just a fashion and like all fashions*, it will pass. People will get confident on the roads again, one day, and then bigger windows will come back. I always think of this generation of Honda when thinking of big windows and I wish my Mini could have windows like it:

[​IMG]

But go back a bit further and you get the first Mustang:

[​IMG]

Rear and rear three-quarter view was not brilliant, was it?

*"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900.

And maybe offering generous, ahem, 'consultancy' employment to NHTSA staff on retirement?

15. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I watch my speedo when I back-up, because it is so cool seeing how fast your going backwards:arf:

Mark

16. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Even though they install backup cameras dumb arse's are still going to back into & over things. Stability control has been mandated & is already on many cars. Folks still lose control & crash them. TPMS is on cars now. Folks still drive with under-inflated tires. I guess what I am saying is you can't fix stupid. :eek:ut:

17. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    And if you don't believe that:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gxKStPXyn8]YouTube - Ron White - Stupid is forever[/ame] According to the scripture of Ron White.

18. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely love the rear camera on my R52.

[​IMG]

That said, I don't need a rear camera, and obviously almost all other R52 owners have done fine without one (even with the bad rear visibility, top up or down). There are effective ways to improve backup safety without requiring a rear camera.

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Interesting editorial in Automotive News by Keith Crain, the editor-in-chief.

20. Angib

Angib New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    (Old) England
    Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    It's amazing what you find when looking for something completely different, isn't it?

See attachment - Science and Mechanics, July-August 1940!

There ain't nuthin' new.

Attached Files: