Most liked posts in thread: Nissan: electric car for Le Mans, Nismo expansion, etc

1. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    If they use a hydrogen fuel cell system refueling shouldn't be a problem. It wouldn't be charging batteries per se, rather converting a chemical reaction directly to electricity. The problem is that the energy stored per volume for hydrogen isn't as good as gasoline.

A 15 gallon tank of gas has a higher energy density than 15 gallons of hydrogen, which is not very dense. The hydrogen will weigh less than the gas, but the storage mechanism will take more space. So pound for pound, hydrogen stores more energy, but it takes more space. In a passenger car, this is a problem when the space normally reserved for a trunk and passengers is taken over by fuel, but for racing, that's not an issue.

Now if they did a battery system, that'd be insane with current technology. The weight to energy ratio is terrible for racing, and the charge times would be prohibitive. The rig to slide a battery array in and out of a car would weigh too much as well, and probably not pass certain safety requirements for collisions. Still, if they could overcome those kinds of issues, it'd mean a lot to battery technology in general.

However they go, it should be interesting.

2. Zapski

Zapski Well-Known Member

May 4, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +938 / 0 / -0
    Good for them! It's great that there's still somewhere in motorsport that can be used as a proving ground for new technologies.

I just wish they'd been able to develop that delta wing a bit more.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I appreciate the idea they feel they should shoot for Garage 56 every year, but for a major company like Nissan to do that it needs ideas that will flatter every time and never humiliate the company name.

I can't wait to see how they're going to keep an all electric car charged for 24 hours of racing. Can't even imagine the technology. The only ideas that come to mind involve stops to recharge or replace batteries. Will they have a super kinetic energy recovery system that's so good it will keep the car going for 24 hours after a big initial charge or will it need occasional jumps?

Suffice to say, I'm very curious about how they intend to go endurance racing with an all electric car, never mind its actual pace. Hope they don't hold back on all the info until Le Mans 2014.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I thought about hydrogen as well but since they didn't mention it and the 2013 entry is a hydrogen-electric I assumed they have a different plan for their 2014 car. I wouldn't be surprised though to see hydrogen as one component of a more complex system.

FWIW, Nissan's big announcement was actually about much more than just the Le Mans biz focused on by the article above. The article pretty much skips over the expansion of Nismo and participation in motorsport in general.

Nissan Launches New Era for NISMO as its Global Performance Car and Motorsports Brand (NissanNews.com)

5. Steve

Steve Administrator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    DeltaWing led to Nissan Le Mans return (Racer.com)