Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S NM Eng Catch Tank

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by GreyLens, Jul 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I've done searches and read a lot about catch cans. The BSH and a few others are liked by many. I've not seen much discussion about the NM Engineering Catch Can. I'm considering getting one. I have a lot of NM Eng products and like the looks of it. Not sure how effective it is.

Anyone have comments?

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

May 8, 2009
    Retired Pharmacist
    Burke, VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    NM Catch can

I have one on my 2009 Clubby S. IT does what it is designed to do. I recommend you consider on; fairly easy to install.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Margi(08 R56 BRG MCS/JCWm) has the BSH OCC and Dual Boost Tap which = the NM Eng OCC(comes with both). I must also say that Margi's at 76kmi an no carbon problems. NM Eng is top of the line and never to be sneezed at. Researching the internet, the only real difference that I can see is cost. BSH OCC and Dual Boost Tap ~ $240. NMEng OCC kit(includes dual boost tap) ~ $340. Take your pick. Me being poor and frugal well...............................................:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Good luck, I am sure you will get great advice here on M/A.

Sorry I can't help I have an R53 and don't need a catch can. :lol:

5. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
  6. sbrice

sbrice New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I had a catch can on my 08 Audi A3. I was shocked the first time I drained it. There is a video on youtube showing a can being drained. I was skeptical at first until I drained mine...lol

Only issue, you have to drain them often. I found my can filling up every 10 to 15 days.

I had a 42 draft design can. They make great products. Not sure if they do mini's yet. It's identical to the BSH can.

I wonder if it would work on the N18??

Attached Files:

7. fngolfer

fngolfer Active Member

Apr 1, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I like the NM pcv block off plug. Unfortunately, NM won't sell that piece separately. I say get the NM can but can't go wrong with the BSH.

8. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I know I might be standing way out in left field with a host of others, but catch cans are a BAND-AID solution to the carbon build-up issue on the N14 and N18 engines. It's pretty disgusting how many companies are coming out of the woodwork to offer their own friggin' can. Dual cans, single cans, open-breather cans, block off plugs... :frown2: The price is pretty shocking considering what these really are. A true crankcase breather filter has either an extremely fine serviceable filter or uses a centrifuge to whip the oil particles out of the air stream. These are mostly used in the heavy-duty diesel industry and you'd have a real hard time trying to fit it in your MINI's engine bay. So I guess we're striking out again.

And then there's the photos people post saying, "Look at all this sludge my catch can caught. Thank you catch can!!!!" But wait... :idea: most people are failing to realize that's just condensate from the temperature difference inside the catch can and it's only catching a tiny bit of oil.

The best way to stop the issue is to not take short trips all the time, let the car get up to temp, and to not be afraid to rev the engine like a VTEC banshee. If you want to clean it, get handy with some basic wrenches and sockets and clean them out manually every 20-30K miles, or as needed. Yes, a walnut blast like the dealer is the best solution, but for not much money and basic tools in your toolbox, you can get the ports/valves clean 90% as good as the dealer can.

Anyways... RANT OFF!

Where's my coffee...

9. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I've seen this position taken by several folks. Actually, this is one reason why I've not put in a can yet. My view to date has been that at some point I'll need to clean the valves anyway. I just bought all the stuff to do a walnut blast and I'll likely do it in the next 5-10,000 miles (I'm at 51K now). Just thinking about putting in a can before I do the cleanse thinking the can will make the next cleanse needed further down the road. For some crazy reason I plan on keep this MINI till I die as well as buying a second one as a DDer. Also, a few other folks in town are interested in doing a "club walnut blast" party at some point.

If I get one it would likely be the NM or saikoumichi. Still not decided. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts...if any more out there let me have it.

10. countryboyshane

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget to clean out your intercooler. I had quite a bit of slime in mine when I cleaned things up this winter. Some gasoline will eat up that oil film right away.

11. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Lots of companies out there making OCC's...
    I have a 42 Designs that I modified...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Radium Engineering makes a single and a dual...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. BRG_Paul

BRG_Paul Active Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Turbomachinery Engineer
    York, PA
    Ratings:
    +184 / 0 / -0
    I've thought about making my own oil separator (OCC) with a stainless steel mesh coalescing element inside. It isn't that difficult to make something that works as well or better than a purchased unit - but making it look respectable and not like a science project is a bigger challenge. And to make it look professional would end up costing almost as much as buying one....

13. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: So Metalman..............why not actually install it on your MINI where it will do some good. Just wondering..................?:Thumbsup:

Jason

14. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Bump Bump :Thumbsup:

Jason

15. countryboyshane

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    That's what most of these are. Respectable cans:lol:

16. sbrice

sbrice New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Actually, catching condensation is correct..somewhat..lol. as the valve cover creates pressure some condensation is pushed out and captured by the baffles in the can. What people fail to understand in the motor design is the actual fuel injection rail system.

Older cars would splash fuel over the valves. This reduced carbon build up since oil and gases were burned together. Newer motors are now closed systems and require the excess oils and sludge to be rerouted.

You answered your own question. " I used gasoline to clean out my intercooler." So yes, oils and sludge are being routed back to the intake system to be burned off. Its why most newer cars now have dual cats.

The catch can would reduce the amount of sludge and carbon build up. Not solve the issue but minimize the amount of gunk being deposited onto the valves.

Audi/VW/BMW tuners have been using these cans since the introduction of the FSI motors.

17. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, that's probably one of my main drivers is aesthetics. The can will help reduce the sludge build up some but if I chose to do something I want it to look good.

Metalman, thanks, I hadn't seen the radium before...the dual can looks great.

I'm partial to NM Eng for many of their parts because they're pretty good quality but they also have an aesthetic design approach I like. It might be interesting, though, to have a different maker for this one part. I like the Radium and the Saikou Michi as options in that respect so far.

Sorry to bore everyone with a rehash on this subject but it is helping me make what is, obviously, a monumental decision.

:biggrin5::biggrin5::biggrin5:

18. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Welp... The best ones use some form of "Phase Change" to coalesce the the fumes into a droplet that can then be collected.... None of them are perfect... But some are better than others...

And anything collected doesn't get to the valves... I collect quite a bit more moisture during the colder months while the engine attempts to reach proper operation temperature..... I now collect much less water but mostly just a little oil...

But not much at all really... As a result my engine doesn't seem to use much oil at all between oil changes...

19. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    So, Metalman, if you picked one of three I've listed for FUNCTION first, which of the three would it be? I guess the double can set up would be best?

20. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    First choice.... Saikou Mich..

Why?
    They make a dual unit so it will address both PCV ports...
    They make it to fit inside the MINI engine bay....
    Not necessarily the prettiest.... but they do employ perforated screens to develop the phase change....

I went with 42 design...
    Cut it apart and down sized it to fit the MINI bay... Has a stack of 3" perforated wafers with 1/32" holes (thousands of holes) on 5-6 plates stacked inside the can. Actually have two, but the second was just too tight and would hit with the engine movement. So I'm back to the turbo air intake path.... Filtering the buildup that would occur in that long path through the IC... Figure that protects the efficiency on the IC minimizing the oil coating the inside surfaces. When the time comes I'll just do the walnut blast with my DIY kit...

I'm sure the NM is good (haven't cut one apart, but the company makes good stuff.... Sooooo it stands to reason maybe?? It's pretty, if that means anything...

Not sure about the BSH cans... They may use screens also...

No one has really done a side by side comparison showing efficiency of OCCans...

At this point I don't really care... I'm sticking with filtering the charge side air and leaving the intake PCV OEM connection.... And will pull the intake at around 50,000 miles for a quick peek of the valves and if necessary I'll blast away....

Something is better than nothing.... It will just delay the inevitable when it comes.

Or, don't worry about it and just figure it's a maintenance cost and have the dealer do their walnut treatment... Something like $500.00?? / 50,000 miles is a penny a mile.... So, big deal???

Anyway that my take on it....:D