NM Torque Arm Bushing the 1st Mod

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Way Motor Works, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I had to ask what that meant too, but can not remember the exact translation. It means "vibration" in the car. In this case the torque arm does not allow the motor to rock on it's mounts as much, which gives you a bit of vibration in the car at idle.

Jim

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Noise, Vibration, Harshness......
    I couldn't detect an increase from the NM insert because the OEM run flats are supplying enough NVH now.

The NM inserts must be an improvement because I can't rock the engine like I could before.

3. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Do you notice any at idle that was not there before??

Jim

4. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I assume there is no concern about longer-term stress on other connections to the car. The OEM part does buffer some of the vibration and the added stiffness might damage something else over time. I also just got an RMW tune which took the torque from 192 ftlbs to 260 ftbls. That's much more stress for the arm to transfer. So far no one seems to have had issues with other damage, I gather. I just ordered this with the NM short shift set up as well.

5. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  6. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    When you get the NM inserts, you'll find that the durometer of the inserts is not very high. I would venture to guess its close to the stock rubber durometer. They are relatively soft. The main purpose of the NM inserts is to completely fill the open holes in the oem rubber with urethane. IMHO, they would not be transmitting a huge increase of forces to the engine or frame to which the arm is connected. But the end results are an engine that rotates less during gear changes for sure.

7. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I bought this for my 2010 Clubman S a few months ago, but just got around to installing it today. Fortunately I have a small lift now in my shop which made the install a breeze. In the picture here, it's at the lowest setting. I noticed some vibration at idle and while driving which it turn meant some interior squeaks and rattles that were non existant before. Even with my automatic, the power delivery is very smooth and seems to pull even stronger. Of course I also rotated my tires at the same time, so the additional traction didn't hurt. In short, I think the Diverter BOV and this Bushing make for some very inexpensive modding with large bang for the buck returns!

[​IMG]

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Is that lift portable or fixed to the floor? that looks very cool. :Thumbsup:

Jim

9. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    It's portable though it weighs 900 pounds! It's a unique air bag lift which is powered by my 60 gallon compressor which is barely just big enough for it, lol.

A different view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. euells

euells Member
    Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2012
    Geek
    Chesterfield, VA
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    This is an awesome, inexpensive mod for silky smooth shifting. This combined with a DDM Intake are the two best mods so far. Thanks Way at WMW for recommending these.

11. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I would not recommend this mod for a Roadster...the NVH at idle is horrible...remember that squeaking behind you, it now rattles...I will have to buy a subwoofer now to see if I can counter balance the rattle the other way.

12. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    So strange.... I did this same mod and did not notice an increase in NVH.... Yet I know Justa Jim had the same issue and he removed his.... Baffling.... Truly bag filling.... It'sa wonderment.....

13. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    When the car goes in drive there isn't a problem and feels planted...When I stop, I feel like a gerbil in a clear plastic ball being held by a 10 year old kid.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Polly bushings do not flex much and are used in race cars where no one cares about MVH.
    They should not be used in cars with MVH sensitive drivers.

It's all a give and take thing. Soft to me is super stiff MVH to someone else. As with any stiffening mod you have to expect giving up some soft rubber dampening when you go Polly.

15. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Just as a reference; I fiited the Way race inserts and bushes to my R50 engine mounts which did the job for rally but the dash etc rattles like crazy. If I had false teeth they would rattle out too!