Most liked posts in thread: No Power Steering

1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    Looks like it is the K6300 DME Main Relay. You may just have a bad relay. worth a try

2. wsdivall

wsdivall Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Sales
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yeah.... I'm going to unplug her tonight and let her sit and think about what she's done.

3. wsdivall

wsdivall Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Sales
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    PROBLEM FIXED.... for now. After reading more about the EPS controle module in the Bentley Service Manual, I decided to unplug the harness from the EPS control module and check for burning or water marks. Nothing. Frustrated, I plugged the wire harness back in and decided to try driving the car again. It started right up and drove like normal. Everything works. No more power steering problems. No more rapid relay clicking in the fuse box under the hood.

Other than unplugging everything, checking fuses/relays, and checking voltage drops, I'm not really sure what ended up fixing the car... which is unfortunate because I fear my car is going to die in the middle of driving it again. I think I can now appreciate the phrase 'gremlin in my mini'.

Thanks for your help.

4. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,034 / 6 / -5
    Great to hear your problem has…..gone away and hopefully it won’t return.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It sounds like the harness plug might be suspect if all you did was reconnect the plug to the EPS Control module. The action might have been enough to clean off a small amount of oxidation.....
    Maybe unplug the harness again and clean the plug contacts with spray electrical contact cleaner and apply some dielectric grease before reattaching the plug to the module.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,892 / 10 / -3
    The really that was making the noise, what is it for? I would replace it.

7. wsdivall

wsdivall Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Sales
    Houston
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I update my post with more information. I've tested all relays and they are fine. The K6300 position on the fuse housing is what is causing the relay to click. I can put any relay in the same position and it will make the same clicking. I've checked the ports for power and ground and there are no indicators of any problems. However, the clicking is now gone and there is only a power steering issue. I added the video to see if it could help find an underlying problem that I just can't see.

8. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,034 / 6 / -5
    I got nuthin’ except the ol’ standby when electrical demons are present and that the battery.