Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Most liked posts in thread: Noise in transmission after Clutch/Fly/LSD install

1. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The noises you describe are consistent with gearbox noise. My gearbox is noisy enough that friends point it out both inside and outside of the car. I have a SPEC aluminum flywheel and a Quaife LSD. I have the noise at idle, and also the noise on acceleration and deceleration. I switched to Redline heavy shockproof oil, and this dumbed down the noise without causing any shifting problems.

2. Tüls

Tüls New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The sky
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Im in the ATL area if you wanna bring it by LOL ;) I'll gladly listen to it. Then if it seems to be something that needs fixing there's always Way Motor Works!

It's hard to tell what you are talking about just from this thread.

3. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Noise while underway is not normal, noise while decelerating may be the LSD; test drive in a tight figure eight and listen for noise, if so that’s the LSD, try a different lube. The ACT flywheel in not very compatible with other brand pressure plates and clutch discs, I’ve heard the noise comment at idle from others who’ve combined the ACT with CM components. ACT’s website says their flywheel is only to be used with ACT PP & disc, and I’m not so sure that’s just to make more sales. If you feel vibrations or pulsations with the noise, suspect a hardware issue like clutch release bearing or mismatched clutch disc. Noise is so subjective, take a drive down to Charleston and see Chad at Total MINI & BMW for a second opinion.

4. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I had to call CM and confirm the direction of the disc with the tech dept, since there wasn't the normal sticker. Nonetheless, he asked which flywheel I had and didn't say anything bad or about incompatibility. He only told me to make sure that there was enough room on the FW side for the sprung hub portion of the disc. If not, flip it.

Everything had room, so I went with it. I installed the new release bearing and lubed everything accordingly. There is absolutely no noise when the clutch is depressed - not rolling.

On a side note, back in May, I installed the same setup in a friends MINI. Well, except for his being an FX200 and a Quaife. He has the chatter, but no noise while driving.

I'm beginning to think that the diff may have machining tolerance issues.
    Like I said, this was taken out of a new Getrag 6spd. Could there have been any changes from my '06 trans (Dec '05 build) to the one delivered in '07?
    Would doing more figure 8's help to break the diff in "more", resulting in quieter operation?
    Could I have missed something when reassembling the trans? I would think that something bad would have happened right off, if that was the case.

With all this said, or typed, I may have to get a quality sound recording device and capture some clips. I'm not sure I want to drive 2 - 4 hrs to get a prognosis. I have only driven about 60 mi since the install and didn't think noise like this would be normal. Plus, I do not have the $$ for a busted tranny. I'd rather take everything out again, than buy a new one.

5. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    After getting a couple people to listen here locally, with and without placed mic's, the common deduction has been general gear noise. It is not speed sensitive, so no one thinks it's the LSD.

I am going to try and source some ShockProof and see how much it will quell the noise.

Thanks everyone for the help.

6. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have an additional thought on this.

I don't want to second guess the tech dept at CM, but since I mixed manufacturers products, I figure this might be the best place to pose a question.

As mentioned above, I called them to ask which side of the disc to place to the flywheel.
    They recommended I place the more bulging of the two towards the flywheel. Meaning the side that has the springs fit into the recessed/dished part where the crank bolt-heads are.

So, here's the question. Could that have place the splines too far toward the end of the input shaft? Would the spline hub not being close enough, or far enough down, cause excessive vibrations?

Is there anyone out there that can confirm/measure the difference in depth of the clutch disc hub/spline, form side to side? Or just pull it out of your extensive knowledge. :D

7. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    #8 Mike, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    Here's an Exedy clutch with what I remember as the usual orientation of the clutch disk (someone jump in if I'm wrong):

[​IMG]

8. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Right, but with a flat, or semi-flat FW, this would make the most sense.
    Are you implying that this is the accepted normal for all setups?
    I asked the tech guy and he said as long as there was room, put it this way. Edit: the way mentioned in my post above.
    Maybe the offset is not jiving.

I'm not going to have much of a foot if I keep shooting it.

::::Goes to get tools to dis-assemble again:::::: :crazy:

9. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    If the clutch disengages, engages and does't slip all is well.

I have lot's of chatter with my motor and trans mounted more firmly! CM flywheel and FX200. :smile5:

Jeremy

10. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I forgot to add: The offset is correct for you going towards the flywheel for stock discs and my CM FX200 disc.

Jeremy

11. CFMINI

CFMINI New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Tech Support
    Corona, CA
    Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0
    I also had an annoying transmission rattle on idle with the Clutchmasters FX400 (6 puck) and Clutchmasters light flywheel and Quaife LSD combination. Changing the transmission oil to Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil almost eliminated the rattle. Shifting effort/feel did not change.

12. theCapn

theCapn New Member

May 13, 2009
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'll give an update on this. I found some Lightweight Shockproof locally and poured it in.
    It's been about a week now. I may mix light and heavy later and see what results I get.

It helped a little, but I still have noise after it warms up.
    Actually most of the noise is when the motor is under load, below 2200 rpms and any rpm when not loaded (decel'ing). I don't have any binding (clicking, popping) noises, so I'm going to run it.

I did notice a slight change in shifting, though. Esp. after a few mornings here that dipped to 50ºF. It was pretty much back to normal after a couple miles travel.

13. Mike

Mike New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. I'm running heavy shockproof, and I left the house this morning in 28F weather. Shifting felt totally normal to me. I'll have to see how it goes when the winter weather really settles in, though, rather than early-morning cold snaps.