Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Noisy brakes

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by wodturner, Mar 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. wodturner

wodturner New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I got my first mini about 2 months ago. An 06. I now find the brakes are making a squeaking noise when I stop. I take to the shop for the warranty work. They call me saying the front brakes and rotors need replacing to get rid of the noise. The brakes and rotors have plenty of 'meat' on them but the brakes are just noisy. It is not a safety hazard.
    I called the dealer I bought it from and he said the warranty won't cover them because they are brakes. He did say he will split the cost with me.
    Am I having smoke blow up my ... ?

Thanks
    Bob

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
  3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: This is a not uncommon problem when brake pads need replacing and the disc/rotors don't need and are not replaced. Replace the pads and keep the old but perfectly good discs and this squeeking often but not always occurs. It is an irritateing but not dangerous situation. Getting rid of the squeeking can be done by replacing pads and rotors with new ones but is it worth the cost? Now I'm assuming that the rest of the breaking system was checked and found to be in good working order. Money or squeek, take your pick.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. Tummi_Gummi

Tummi_Gummi New Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Online Sales Manager
    Springfield, MO
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    The clips that hold the pads to the pistons could have came loose or fell off. Mine did that and now they squeek when you first let off them until u get to speed and the pads kick off the rotor

5. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    What he said /\

Make sure whoever did them, did them right.

If they used cheap aftermarket pads, the only thing that might cure it is to just use them up and replace with better pads next time.

6. wodturner

wodturner New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for all the input. I am quoted 250 for the job. Right now, I can't do it. I know it is safe. I am just going to live with the squeak.

Thank again
    Bob