Not understanding the "exclusive" gripe

Discussion in 'MINI' started by versus, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    +1 ^

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My .2C

I paid for the performance parts to make my MINI go and look faster. I don't badge JCW, I agree it's tacky. Right now I'm near certain I got faster and more agile than a JCW, don't need to flaunt it

If I want the JCW aero kit on my MCS and I am willing to pay for it? Forgeddaboutit

3. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Good conversation guys, thanks for chiming in. :yesnod:

*Sidenote, I notice that some of the MOTM winners happened to be MCS's with JCW kits.

4. Blainestang

Blainestang New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    As ANOTHER Mustang owner, I completely agree. Put whatever body parts, wheels, etc on that you want, but no matter what you do, your car will never be a different trim level than what it originally was. I don't care if your GT has 700hp, it's still not a Cobra.

My V6 Mustang makes the same all-motor peak hp as a similar-year GT, but that doesn't make it a GT.

That said, I don't expect people to REMOVE Cobra or SVT centercaps from wheels or things like that. It's an SVT wheel... doesn't mean you're claiming the CAR is SVT, IMO. Same with the JCW tuning packs. If the JCW kit comes with the JCW badge from MINI, then I'll allow it. You're not replacing all the MCS badging with JCW badges, just installing a MINI-supplied badge that indicates you have JCW parts installed.

Finally, I'm not really sure what the JCW-owners expected. MINI has offered JCW tuning kits for years, and they often come with JCW badges... and the JCW aero kit is a factory/dealer option. I think trying to trick people into thinking their car is something it isn't is annoying, but I don't know why they would expect MINI to do anything differently than they've always done regarding JCW body kits and tuning parts.

5. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Just thinking. Back in the day there was the justa, period. Then John Cooper came along, took some of those justa's and turned them just into an "S", which came out of his shop. Now MINI owns the Cooper Works name and different cars come from the factory.

So, with that said couldn't you actually turn a factory "S" into an actual JCW? If so, then why not be able to badge it as such?

Jim

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Well......
    This is a Camaro-Ferrari......
    It'll never be a Ferrari, and it's no longer a Camaro.
    [​IMG]

But it does come with a Rooster haircut. :D
    [​IMG]

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    That is not exactly what I was saying. I'm not all that knowledgeable about what all the difference is between an "S" and a JCW, but if the factory can make an "S" into a JCW, then couldn't some one else do the same mods and if they did, wouldn't that be a JCW? OR is everyone saying that a JCW is a title that can only come from the factory?

What do I know. I own a justa and if someone whats to take a JCW and badge it as a justa it's fine with me. Think of the look on the other driver's face when they though a justa blew their doors off. :cornut:

Jim

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Especially if he was sporting a Rooster. :D

9. versus

versus Active Member

Sep 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: I pretty much said the same thing on MF.

10. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    People do it on other cars too.

Put the JCW badge on a souped up or stock Mini "S" is no different then the guys that own a base Corvette putting ZO6 emblems all over it.

The JCW Kit should really have their own emblem or The Factory JCW should have their own. Either way would be better then sharing the emblem.

It would be nice if Mini would have an emblem that said "FACTORY JOHN COOPER WORKS" or something similar.

After all, They are not really the same cars.

11. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    They sure look the same.

Dave

12. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    My 2cents......... does it really matter at all? I know i didn't buy mine cause of the JCW badges................ just saying.