Most liked posts in thread: OBDII scanner...anyone have one of these??

1. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I have the Harbor Freight branded version of that tool:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Actually mine is a generation older, but the same animal.

It's *OK* - it will read codes, it will show FF data, it will clear codes, it will clear the auto transmission codes also.

It will NOT see any of the BMW specific systems (e.g. ABS, airbags, IKE, body control module, CAN bus, etc.) and can't read any sensor data directly, etc. Just standard OBD stuff. And it takes a LONNNNG time to connect on a MINI (a minute or more usually).

So it does a little more as a reader than my ScanGauge, but nowhere near as functionally complete as AutoEnginuity with the BMW extensions. But it's way less money than AE.

2. Joemagraine

Joemagraine New Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Carplugs

Check out this OBDii CAN Scanner

I've been using it for a couple of years and it's great. Pc based, so you need a desktop, netbook or laptop computer.

3. Vernon29RW

Vernon29RW New Member

May 22, 2009
    Pat-Med, NY
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the responses guys. Paul where did you buy your AutoEnginuity software?? There's a guy selling it on Ebay for $200 without the BMW extensions. That doesn't seem like a bad price considering how much more it can do over those generic scan tool/code readers.

Steve

4. Vernon29RW

Vernon29RW New Member

May 22, 2009
    Pat-Med, NY
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The other thing is, if you know, how does it compare to the CarSoft software?? Seems like either one can do SOOO much more than those scan tools can, especially for BMW vehicles

5. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Steve - buy AutoEnginuity from bimmerzone.com - best price I've found new

Some of the stuff on ebay uses their older hardware, which won't work as well with the newer software (including especially the BMW extensions if you decide to add later).

CarSoft looks good from what I read - appears to do much of the same stuff at AE plus coding (which AE does not do)... but I don't know anyone who has it and don't know how the data logging, etc. compares.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0