OBDII wifi Apps

Discussion in 'MINI' started by MCS02, Nov 29, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I'm getting a wifi OBDII reader to use with my iPhone/iPad.
    Does anyone have any experience with an iPhone/iPad app to use. I plan on using Rev but I thought I would check and see if there was something better out there.
    Thanks

2. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Not sure about wifi and apple but I use a bluetooth one with my Android that I'm pretty sure supports apple as well.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I believe Apple has to use wifi. I purchased a ELM327 unit for $30. it should arrive today.
    What App are you using? I'm just trying to find the best one before I spend 40 bucks on Rev.
    Thanks

4. Little big car

Little big car New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Chesapeake, VA
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I am pretty sure that it correct that iPhones will only work via WiFi.

I have the PLX Kiwi bluetooth unit that I use with my phone. They also make a WiFi one as well. Their units are a bit more expensive than many of the others but I know that some of the others can be a bit erratic so I figured that since the Kiwi is still cheaper than a decent OBDII reader that it made sense to get the good unit. I have now had it for over a year and find it to be a fantastic device which was well worth the money spent.

Here's a link to the WiFi version.
    PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi | OBD2 OBDII iPhone

Oh wait! You were asking about an app. not the device. Since I am on Android I guess I cannot be much help because I use Torque and that app is not available on iOS.

5. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I use OBDII droidscan so I know that's not available for apple but I am pretty sure my plug in unit works with apple just not sure what apps are out there for it.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I was planning on getting the PLX Kiwi 2. But I found this one for cheep and thought I would give it a try, probably a mistake.
    Thanks