OctaneGuy Complete Detail: 2002 CR/W MCS

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Octaneguy, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    So it started with a PM about removing some stripes and seeing if there was anything I could do to fix some defects in the paint. When I saw it, the swirls were blinding!!

[​IMG]

But back inside the shop getting ready for a bath. I did a traditional wash and rinse, and clayed using Meguiar's C2000 clay which is my favorite clay. I used some spray detailer for lube.
    [​IMG]

Not too bad here in diffused lighting right? Paint must be in pretty good condition?

[​IMG]

Upon closer examination, you can see that the trim has been severely neglected and the paint looks splotchy.
    [​IMG]

Even before looking at the door jam, I knew this was pre 2003
    [​IMG]

The stripes to be removed are in bad shape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out in the sun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember how nice the boot looked in diffuse lighting?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a dent here that I was going to have my dent guy repair, but the owner said he wanted his own guy to do it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit of work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Paint was washed and during the process decided to remove the vinyl
    [​IMG]

Look at the difference. Paint doesn't have to look this bad and people never really seem to understand that this is preventable through proper care.

[​IMG]

PreWow applied to trim
    [​IMG]

Wiped with a rag
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dried
    [​IMG]

Paint was first compounded with Meguiar's M105 with a wool pad. Then it was polished with Prima Swirl and an LC Orange Pad on my Makita rotary. This was followed by the PC with Swirl and an LC White Pad. The PC with Amigo with LC White Pad. Then PC with Epic on LC Black Pad.

Total time was about 10 hours. There was NO retouching or enhancements to this photo. I know it looks super bright and colorful, but I can assure you, this is how it came out of my camera.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't see any ghosting of the stripes, do you?
    [​IMG]
    The paint isn't perfect...but it's pretty good for an 8 year old car that's never really been taken care of!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The trim was cleaned with PW and dressed with Black Wow. I didn't even bother taping off the arches since PW works so well at removing polish residue, there was no fear of not being able to clean the trim. That means, NO MORE BLUE TAPE on the arches!!!
    [​IMG]

The LSP is Prima Epic. Love that shine and richness and the protection!
    [​IMG]

And there you have it. This is my special complete detail for the MINI. The interior was cleaned and the space cloth seats were extracted using my Hot Water Extractor..which pulled some stains and discoloration. Plastics were dressed with Nero. Tires were dressed with Meguiar's Insane Shine. The front and rear grills were dressed with Meguiar's spray on Trim Restorer.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Quite the transformation!

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    OG, The pic's are not showing up on my end (running Window XP with Chrome as browser)

4. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    That's strange. They are hosted at my FaceBook page...maybe a corporate firewall thing?

5. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Great job! It's nice to know there is hope for paint that far gone. I have an older 911 that looks just like that from years of living under a car cover.

6. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thanks!!! Does that 911 look anything like this? I've done a few of them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    THATS a distinct possibility. My co shuts down Facebook, Internet Radio, Allot of the streaming video. Can respect that as long as they don't block MA!

I'll check it out tonight

8. YeloMini

YeloMini Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Similar. It's an 86 Targa. Guards red. Spent the last 13 years under a car cover, outside, in a dirt world (dirt driveway, dirt yard). Covers pick up dust, car usually light amount of dust. You get the idea. From say 10' away paint looks great. Anything closer and it's world o'swirl. Way more than that 911 and more than the 02 MCS. I've always been tempted to bring it down to you but since it lives in the world of dirt, all the hard work getting it looking good wouldn't last but a few years I bet.