1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Odd feel in steering while cornering

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by davavd, Jun 5, 2010.

1. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    There is an off-ramp on my way home from work that I enjoy doing near the limit. Most of the time, about halfway through it, I feel a slight sideways movement in the steering wheel. I have tried duplicating it at rest with no success. In fact, I have not felt it anywhere but on that curve. I see nothing on the road itself that could account for it. The curve is sort of unique in that it is about the only 270 degree curve I can think of that I decelerate into. I am wondering if there is a piece of front suspension starting to wear out :confused5:.
    Any thoughts? I am at almost 80K and the only suspension mod is a 19 H-sport rear sway bar. Tires are General Exclaim UHP 215/50/16 on oem wheels.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Being an 06 with 80K miles I'd start looking at lower control arm bushings. But its only in one corner making it quite unique.

Would you happen to be pushing it a little more in that corner than others?

3. track-toy

track-toy MINI of the Month

May 4, 2009
    Test Driver
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You are about due for front control arm bushings. The OEM ones can get significant wear, enough to cause some slop in the steering. Unfortunately, this is a labor intensive fix.

4. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    YES! :D

5. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, its probably been 20K since I last asked for this to be checked.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    My oem LCA bushings went out with only 28k.

7. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday, I took d'Mini to Munchen Motors in Mandeville, LA for an oil change and asked them to check the front end. What they said was front control arm bushings need to be replaced (good call, y'all) for $640. The hose from the power steering reservoir to the rack is also leaking; they said replacing it is more critical than the bushings, $380.

Keep in mind that I'm not near the Baton Rouge or New Orleans shops - do these seem like reasonable charges?

8. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    If your replacing the LCA bushings you might want to upgrade to something like powerflex. There is a ton of compliance in the OEM bushings.

9. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Reasonable is relative, a dealership has high overhead, higher labor and parts rates are to be expected.

Whether or not the leaking hose is critical depends on the extent of the leak or if the hose is damaged. The hoses aren't under pressure or vacuum, so weeping won't affect pump performance, but low fluid levels would. As long as fluid shows on the level indicator attached to the cap it's safe. The fluid can be found at retail auto parts stores and a 1 liter can will last a very long time unless the leak is a full-on drip.

The first fix to try is re-crimping the OE clamps, purchase (or borrow) CV boot clamp pliers for ear type clamps and give them a squeeze. If that doesn't last then replace with standard screw hose clamps. The only reason to replace a hose is for damage.

10. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Munchen isn't a dealership, except for a dozen or so bimmers & mercedes. Thanks for the hint about the powerflex option - do they last longer than oem? If polyurethane is stiffer, what's the trade-off? I'll try the hose clamp fix - thanks!

11. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    There are two hoses coming out of the reservoir. The front (larger) one is dry below the tank. The smaller one, closer to the cabin looks a little damp. The clamp on it is facing the air intake, so its almost impossible get to with without disassembling a bunch of stuff. No wonder the labor charge is high!

12. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #12 k-huevo, Aug 7, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    I replaced mine at the top so I know it can be done. More than likely it is a clamp at the bottom. Drive up on ramps and have a look.

To access the hose in the rear up top, remove the header heat shield (optional), remove the reservoir bracket, bend the heat shield upward, and lean the reservoir to one side.
    [​IMG]

There is a comfort penalty with polyurethane bushings, more so in the cold. If you buy into the poly bushing hype, the bushings offered by Madness are at least a little softer than Power Flex and better suited for the daily driver.

13. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    They are supposed to last longer but I haven't worn out a set yet so can't say for sure. They are a bit harsher in ride but not to the extent some say, guess it depends on your sensitivity. I like to feel the road so they work fine and the improvement in handling dynamics is worth it for me. Turn in is crisper, takes a set better, comes off a turn better and what made me go to them most, the car is much more stable under extreme braking. But you need to decide for yourself what is right for you. 2 cents

14. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    So, just curious, did you go for the Powerflex or the Madness?

I am on some warranty replacement OEM rubber bushings at the moment, but they will not last forever, or maybe even long, so I have a decision coming up.

15. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
  16. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    How much fluid should there be? I have about a quarter inch showing on the stem thing sticking down.

"If you buy into the poly bushing hype"? Sounds like you don't. What is your opinion?

17. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    #17 k-huevo, Aug 7, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    The first generation control arm end rotates on a variable axis. The arm is not positioned at a strict right angle nor on single plane, and as the elbow moves over the ball joint, the end (inside the bushing) pivots while rotating. It also moves fore and aft at the same time. The OEM bushing dampens fore and aft movement, allows the arm to follow its natural Zen path to self realization, plus dampens high frequency vibrations with amniotic like fluid cushioning within, and provides a measure of anti-lift when healthy. The OEM bushing does not allow anywhere near the extraneous movement many believe.

The design of the poly bushing assumes it is a perfect geometrical world where the control arm turns on its center axis. The second generation design is closer to that ideal and the current crop of poly bushings are more appropriate in that application. Polyurethane by nature is not very forgiving and does not absorb high frequency energy very well, I find that characteristic slightly annoying when I'm on the street where my mind and body have the time to pay attention to details like that. Forcing the control arm to conform to a path of greater resistance makes itself known over expansion joints and other road surface irregularities. The up side for most poly material is longevity, when used with proper lubrication poly control arm bushings can last indefinitely, so instead of replacing a comfy OEM bushing every 30k miles, a poly bushing will only require cleaning and fresh lube.

18. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Great post, thanks for explaining that:Thumbsup: But the Zen path is my favorite part:D

Mark

19. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Excellent statement of the case for each. I can see why many decide to switch to the polyurethane bushings. My inclination is follow k-huevo's practice, I think because the oems have lasted about 80K and, while I am satisfied with my car's ride, I am contemplating other changes that will introduce further harshness, so I don't think I will do it with this. Thanks, all.

20. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Okayyyy. I finally got the bushings replaced with the Madness ones. The original complaint, that there was a moment of play in the steering wheel is STILL :mad5: there on the aforementioned off-ramp. This is a curve to the right, and at one point, it feels like the whole steering column moves to the left about 1/4". There isn't ever a point at which it feels like it goes back. I can sort of duplicate this movement (though not as much) by pulling on one side of the steering wheel and pushing on the other side.

Any thoughts?