1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Odd feel in steering while cornering

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by davavd, Jun 5, 2010.

1. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I think I figured something out. I think the reason I feel the movement in the steering wheel in a hard corner is that I am hanging on to it to keep myself upright. :idea:

I have a schroth harness that I had not installed partly because I was avoiding a scene with my wife (what's that? why do you need that? how much was it? etc.) and partly because I didn't think the red color (got it used, couldn't be picky, see my post about trading it for a black one) would look all that good in my car (BRG/tan & black leather). Anyway, last night when the above revelation came to me, I decided to take the plunge and install it. My daughter (10) got in the car this morning for her ride to the bus stop saw it and said "that's cool, I want one!" Haha. Now I stay where I belong in the car, light touch on the wheel, no more problem. At least I think that's it, gotta hit a few more curves to make sure.

2. leicaguy

leicaguy New Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Medical Tech
    Catawba (near Roanoke), VA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    red is good....red parts add power...that goes for safety equipmet too. :wink2

3. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking about this yesterday and thought there might have been a grove or wear indentation in the road at that point that was throwing you the other way, but it sounds like you found the problem. :Thumbsup:

Jim

4. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    :lol: I know, but I am a design guy and it makes me want to do things I have no business thinking about. When I was a kid, we had a green '49 Pontiac convertible with red leather. On my way to work, I caught myself wondering what a BRG Mini would look like with a red interior. :ihih:

5. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  6. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    :lol: OK, I can't afford to do it anyway. Not the first mistake my budget has saved me from.