Brakes Wheels 2nd Gen Tires Odd pedal feel on R53

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by mini_racer, May 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #1 mini_racer, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
    Ok, so I was at the track yesterday and I experienced a weird brake pedal feel/actuation anomaly.
    Ok let's go over some basics:
    Calipers: OEM, JCW in the front
    Rotors: OEM smooth surface
    Pads: XP10s in front, XP8s in read
    Lines: Stainless
    Fluid: Motul RBF600 and fresh
    Temps: Definitely hot ~94F, towards end of last session.

So maybe, 10% of the time I experienced a brake pedal that seemed high and hard. So I would have to use more pressure to get through this 'spot' and then the pedal and brakes would work normally. So for a split second when I would go to throw out the anchor I did not have much to work with, sometimes when this happened I would end up just braking a little deeper and I would have to brake much harder to catch-up. One time however, it sent me off track for a little gardening. :mad5:

Anybody ever experience anything like this? Do I just need to bleed them more, like between sessions, or what? Of course they work fine on the street and almost all of yesterday on the track. Also, when the pedal was 'high and hard' there was no notchiness or anything like that, it was still smooth.

Brake booster going out?
    When you boil the fluid at the caliper, does this cause a hard pedal or a mushy pedal?

I have not touched them yet since yesterday's track adventure, but if I get some air in the line I guess I just boiled the fluid.

2. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    From your description it is difficult to understand what was going on. If you are having brake issues there is normally one of two scenarios that you will encounter. The first is a hard pedal, but the car doesn't slow down as expected - this is they symptom of brake pad fade. The second is either too much pedal travel before the brakes "engage" or the pedal goes all the way to the floor. In both the increased travel or the case of the pedal going all the way to the floor, there is very little resistance against the pedal. This is symptomatic of boiling your brake fluid.

My experience with boiling your brake fluid, is that once they cool down the pedal normally returns to normal for street driving. The danger is once you heat them up again, the air will come out of solution again and you will experience a softer pedal once again.

3. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0

Well, a little extra brake bleeding can never hurt. I guess one thing to try is to bleed them after a session the next time I feel the weird pedal.

4. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    It could be pad kick-back, on hard corner exit flex in the wheel bearing or rotor run-out can press the pad back, so the next need for the brake, extra pedal movement is required to set the pad. The test for this is to tap the pedal a couple of times before the spot where you are experiencing odd pedal feel and then apply the brake, if that cures the issue, it's time to replace the front wheel bearing and/or the rotor.

5. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    One bit of evidence of the higher temps is a simple one. After each session as per norm, I check the tire air pressures and adjust.

This is the first time that I was NOT able to use my bare hand to remove the metal valve cap, it was just too incredibly hot. I have never heated the wheels up as much as I did yesterday, it was crazy.

6. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    It's amazing how hot those things get when you don't drive like a sissy. :)

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I still have a Genesis Technologies Brake Temperature Paint kit that I'm willing to share for only cost of shipping.

The Brake Temperature Paint delivers the widest temperature range in one bottle. Temperature readings ranging from 0° to 671°+ Celcius (0° to 1239° Fahrenheit) are displayed over a six color change from cold to hot. The bottle features a Metal Cap with a Horsehair Brush for quick and easy application on any surface, such as rear end housings, transmission cases, brake rotors or exhaust pipes. Packaged in a plastic carrying jar, the bottle also features brake temperature color code guide on the bottle for quick temperature reference.

Simply apply paint evenly to a clean, grease free surface, allowing to dry to touch, and to remove used paint off of surface, use a disposable towel or rag and wipe off remaining paint material

8. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    If you bring it to the F1 party this afternoon I would love to borrow it. I am running a time trial at Hallett on June 12th. I will give it a test "drive".

9. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well that was a backhanded compliment if I ever saw one.

And no, I was definitely not driving like a sissy yesterday.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I would also guess it was a pad getting pushed back off of the rotor while turning. To test this do a tap dance on the brake pedal as you are going down the straight and see if you can get the pad to reseat itself before the turn. Not heard of it happening on our cars, but real common on heavier cars.

11. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Was this at Harris Hill?

12. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #12 mini_racer, May 30, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    I am aware of that possibility, but it just does not seem to fit this situation. Especially on my 23K mi. car. Unfortunately for further testing, I may be done with HPDEs until it cools down a bit here in TX.

So, I think I will just flush the system, give it a good inspection, put the street pads and wheels back on and limit the stress to some spirited street driving for a few months. I do not see any opportunities for the tap dance test any time soon, but I will definitely keep this in my repertoire.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

13. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    And yes, this was at H2R this past Saturday!

It was damn Hot too!

14. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    #14 BThayer23, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
    Was the pad "smearing" on the rotor? Easiest way to check pad fade. Based on my experience and conversations with some time trialers on stock calipers, XP12 front is the way to go.

15. Onramp

Onramp Enjoy the Hiways of Life!
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Retired, mostly
    Renton, WA
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I think Scott and others might be right. The extra push you are needing to go thru (rather than a smooth push the pads up against the rotors) may be caused by the pad getting a little cockeyed and sticking a bit. The high and hard bit you have to push thru is pushing the pad back in line with the rotor. When you do the bleed, see if there is any evidence of one of the front pads sticking. If yes, remove the problem area with a wire brush (dirt, accumulated hot brake dust, etc) or file (metal from manufacturer error or whatever else might be the case).

This "push back" of the pad from the rotor seems to occur at higher brake temps. If your track has a bunch of hard braking before this "issue", maybe look for a way to increase cooling air to the caliper.

Hope that helps.

Pat

16. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this is a great test, and no smearing for me. The rotors are clean and so are the pads.

17. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yes, thanks for the input. Imminently, I will be bleeding and changing the pads back to street and so I will be giving everything a thorough inspection and I will definitely be specifically looking for any signs of a pad that spent some time being ****-eyed.

18. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Well, it looks like big brother does not like my language.

I guess you can't say c-o-c-k-eyed around here.

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Fixed that, it was in the generic list of censored words.

20. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I was starting to get a complex...