Suspension Brakes 1st Gen OEM vs JCW vs FSD Suspension

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by west7, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Yes mine did clear, shouldn't be a problem.

2. cristo

cristo Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Male
    physician
    York, Pa
    Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -1
    #22 cristo, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    With a 15/16 inch (or vice grip), 3/4 inch, and 1/2 inch wrench* and a tape measure you
    can set the toe in roughly to zero yourself at curbside.

Go up to the same height to the same point on the tire tread at the front and back of the tire
    with the tape measure. The more camber you run, the more important the same height caveat is.
    Adjust the tie rods the same number of turns on each side if you want the steering wheel to
    stay level when the care runs straight. If it's already cocked slightly, you can fix that by turning
    one side a little more than the other. Turn the end of the boot to straighten it if it starts to twist up.

*retaining nut, rod end flats, and tie rod shaft flats respectively.

3. TSpoonEars

TSpoonEars New Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just fitted fixed camber plates and FSDs at the weekend on my R53. The ride quality is drastically improved over standard (and old) shocks on shallow bumps but over the really bumpy stuff I'm not no sure - probably about the same although the new rear sway bar may not help much there.

If you do go with FSDs and camber plates, standard springs will fit without hitting the strut towers, but if you're a newbie at doing this, remember that the lower spring support is asymmetric so that has to be rotated to make sure the spring is further away from the shock tower in order for it not to rub. I stupidly forgot this to start with ( I was a strut virgin) and had slight rubbing but it was an easy fix (you can rotate it with your hand).

I had my alignment done today and the ride is vastly improved! The IE fixed plates gave me about 2 degrees -ve camber , but added 0.34 in of toe before the alignment (0.17 on each wheel). I have a bit of mushrooming on one tower that I need to 'hammer' out as I have a bit more camber on one wheel than the other so I'm thinking of getting some strut plates as double extra insurance (the mushrooming added about 0.4 degree negative camber to the drivers side and it's nowhere near as bad as some pictures I've seen on here - barely noticeable in fact)

Btw, my rear sway bar is 19mm. It's an H&R on the softest of the two settings. I haven't had chance to check out the handling yet but with the extra grip on the front and slightly less on the back I'm suspecting it will handle like a dream now as before I used to just get terminal understeer in the twisties.

My FSDs were about $525 shipped. I don't know if that's good or not. A lot more than OEM, but then also a big improvement.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

4. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    crankshaft has a set of IE camber plates for sale. They are posted on the first gen parts for sale

5. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    #25 west7, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Thanks for all the tips!

Cristo, I'll try to roughly zero the toe before I drive very far to the alignment shop!

On a side note, are there any adjustable camber plates that isolate NVH like the oem mounts? I like the idea of the or plates and will likely go ahead and get a set, but was hoping to keep the front camber around neg 1 to neg 1.5....

Fastlane, If you don't mind me asking, we're did you get your MINI aligned?

tspoonears, Thanks for sharing your experience with the set up as well. So, your final front camber was -2 passenger side and -1.6 driver side? I didn't realize I needed to rotate the lower spring support to provide enough clearance between the spring and shock tower to prevent rubbing! Also, $525 shipped is a pretty awesome deal on FSD's from what I've seen....

Crashton, Did you have to rotate your lower spring support to clear factory springs with IE plates as well?

6. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    #26 west7, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    mrntd, Thanks for the heads up! I'll check out the classifieds section.

7. _iD

_iD New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Another Hoosier here with FSD, IE fixed plates and a big rear bar. Love the change, and it doesn't eat front tires nearly as quickly as it used to. If you can't spring for coilovers, this is a great OEM replacement.

Hijack: where do you Indy folks get your shop work done? I used to go to Way in speedway, but since he moved to Atlanta I've been going to Reggie's Motor Works in Noblesville. (I live in Carmel, very convenient). The same tech that did warranty work on my car at dryer and reinbold works there now.

Do you have a great Mini mechanic in the Indy area?

8. west7

west7 Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I would love to help with a shop recommendation, but I do most all of the work on my MINI myself..... Partly because it's fun, partly because it's saves some money, and partly becomes I haven't found a "good" shop yet...

Where did you get your alignment done?

9. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    No that was not needed. If I remember correctly I ended up with -1.8 & -1.9.