Ohio House passes bill to ban red-light, speed cameras

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by Nathan, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    The Ohio House yesterday approved a bill to ban red-light and speed cameras over the objections of Columbus-area representatives and others who argued that the technology has reduced traffic accidents and saved lives.

“Motorists learn where these cameras are … and guess what? Driving habits change. They change for the better,†said Rep. Michael F. Curtin, D-Marble Cliff.

House Bill 69, approved 61-32 and sent to the Senate, would require Columbus and other municipalities to remove all law-enforcement cameras except mobile units in school zones during restricted hours, which would be permissible if a police officer is present.

During more than an hour of debate yesterday, supporters said some local officials have abused the cameras by overusing them to generate profits for local governments.

“The village of Elmwood (Place) issued 6,000 tickets in 30 days at $105 a pop ... with 40 percent of the revenue going to a company that is not located in Ohio,†said Rep. Alicia Reece, D-Cincinnati.

“Folks don’t even want to go to church because they don’t want to drive through the village.â€

Source: Ohio House passes bill to ban red-light, speed cameras | The Columbus Dispatch

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: A lot of the municipalities in Texas are canceling their traffic camera contracts because they are losing money to these companies as the motorists see the camera and obey the law but the camera company's bills must still be paid. Big Brother! Take a Hike!:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    I know a couple people who have been rear ended because of these cameras. I will be glad to see them go.

4. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    It has nothing to do with safety. If you are worried about safety all you need to do is lengthen the time all lights at a intersection are red. Before a green light comes on.
    Love my country but I'm sick of the out of control government. At lest Ohio is doing the right thing.
    Live brave live free!!!

5. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    In small Spanish towns, they time the lights so that you must go a set speed or they all turn red if you go over the set speed limit. Enough of that usually gets the point across...especially when facing the irate drivers who are being held up by stupidity. In the larger cities, they still use the stoplight cameras and send out tickets to those who keep going. They thwart the cronic offenders by tracking the license plates and towing the cars at night.

6. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I have no problem with the cameras. I refuse to pay an outside company for traffic violations. Cyclists downtown have been known to egg them or hit them with other objects that prevent clear pictures.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Cyclists seem to be the worst offenders as far as running red lights goes. Why do they care if there is a camera? No plates on their bikes so no tickets for them. Nothing but revenue generation machines.

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I always thought an officer of the law was required to inforce traffic violations....

9. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nope not in the modern day.

10. checkers

checkers Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Male
    retired
    Modesto, Ca
    Ratings:
    +1,153 / 0 / -1
    I'm no the road driving just about everyday and see at least 4 to 6 cars run red lights everyday. As far as that go's how many drivers are no their phones ( 7 out of 10 )

11. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    At the same time some places have shortened the yellow lights to catch more.

12. Apok

Apok New Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Sadly, finance. The most boring job in the world.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    4-6 a day? That's lightweight. Around here I see 4-6 per traffic light running red lights. Especially up here around Easton.

13. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Gosh! I never see anyone run red lights.

Dave