Ohio interstates could join the 70-mph club

Discussion in 'Mid-Ohio Motoring' started by Nathan, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Ohio Highway Patrol: We don't want the speed limit raised on interstates raised to 70 because it might cut into ticket revenue...err, "because it diminishes traffic safety" ...

Article in Columbus Dispatch

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    ....with a name like Russ Radar he shouldn't be involved in any formal conversation related to vehicle speed :biggrin5::crazy:

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I already belong to that club, but will welcome any newcomers. :D

4. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    All interstates in WV are 70 and have been for a long time. I doubt that raising to to 80 would make any difference as folks are going to go whatever speed they want anyway, but it would cut down on ticket sales. :D

Jim

5. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    This would help me avoid the looks I get from the passenger seat when M.A.D. is in the car. It makes me miss the chrono pack from my R53...no huge speedo for her to look at ;)

6. LIL PIGG

LIL PIGG Club Coordinator

Sep 20, 2010
    Field Tech
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    well, from be a old car driving guy I like the speed to stay at 65. I drive for a living and I still don't have a problem with the 65 mph limit. In the article it said newer cars are safer, so is Ohio going to make everyone drive a new car only? Sorry but I think they should just leave it alone. Just because other states do something doesn't mean Ohio has to do it.

7. cooperjet

cooperjet Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Pensacola, FL
    Ratings:
    +197 / 0 / -0
    The higher the better.

8. Firebro17

Firebro17 Dazed, but not Confused
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Retired CAL FIRE Battalion Chief
    The Great Irrigated Desert of Central CA
    Ratings:
    +3,328 / 0 / -0
    Just have everyone stay out'a the #1 lane that should be out'a the #1 lane and all will be well. There's more $$ to be made if the Troopers would ticket those braindead road blockers.

9. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Newer cars are much safer. Raising the speed limit does not mean folks with classic cars have to drive the new limit. As it is now minimum speed is 45 on interstates. I'd guess there is a speed between 45 & 70 that suits classic car drivers.

One thing that could be done to make everyone safer is to revamp our joke of a licensing system.

10. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Chuck, licensing system? .....I thought it was just a revenue renewal system!

11. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^ Yep it is & the revenuer's are out to get our donut money.

12. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the limit down here is 70 as well. Still 55-60 in downtown areas, like Charlotte.
    Everyone still does 80+

I am really not sure if Ohio could handle a higher limit. There are literally so many more cars up on the roads it seems like. Someone is ALWAYS in the way of the pack, and if it were 70 there would still be the douche doing 61 in the fast lane on 270 lol. I think they should enforce that rule first. People are more afraid now to text in the car, and drive w/o seat belts... make a get out of the PASSING lane campaign!

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    You would not see an increase on 270 or the more populated areas. The increase would be in areas such as I 70 out near Zanesville to the WV line or on the more open areas of I 71 and I 75.

When I lived in TX the areas around the cities had a lower limit and then it progressed from 70 to 80 as you got in more open areas. Now it's up to 85 on I 10 east of El Paso where you can drive for hours and barely see another car.

14. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    that is awesome. I think I remember seeing 100 back when I was little and we were driving from Tucson to SF. Gotta love the west!

15. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Kansas joined most of the western states and raised their limit to 75 last year. Didn't make much difference to me, I was already driving 73......now I'm legal!

16. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    More good news

Not passing? Get out of left lane, bill says | The Columbus Dispatch

17. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    The Governors comment about State Troopers being idiots rings true here:

Ralston said she can’t determine how troopers would enforce tougher laws restricting left-hand-lane use without seeing the final legislation. But “it does raise concerns of how things are going to be enforced,” she said.

Umm I would think this is easier than speeding where you have to look at a number and remember what the speedlimit is. Look at the road is there a car in the left lane not passing anything? If yes pull them over and write a ticket. And let me help with one, there will be a silver Honda minivan with a Church Radio bumper sitcker on 270 at 4:45 in the left lane from Dublin to Easton and it will not move out of the left lane for anything. I often wonder if the radio station is just some church chant saying "stay in the left lane for salvation." ahhh I feel better now.

18. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    At 4:45 in the afternoon on 270 thats going to be hard to enforce. The road needs that many lanes and more to handle the traffic load.

Now at 4:45 AM its a different story.

Or on 70 east of Zanesville for example. Of all the times I've been out there the traffic is so light there is no reason to ride in the left lane, except to pass.

19. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    But who cares if some numb nutz is blocking the left lane on the way to Zanesville. The only time this laws makes any difference is when the road is busy. It is easy to enforce in high traffic times, you see a car with a long row of cars tightly packed behind it but with nothing in front of it you know that car is not allowing others free passage. Or you just make it so if someone is able to pass you on the right you get a ticket. Then the cops can just watch for my car passing people on the right and ticket them while explaining I am right and they are bad people who are now going to hell because their blocking of the left lane is a sin in the eyes of all gods.

20. rigidjunkie

rigidjunkie New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Membership Manager
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Well, for one, according to the State Highway Patrol, it might be “almost impossible” to reserve an entire lane for passing vehicles only.

This is also dumb. The lane is not reserved for passing and you can only pass one vehicle and then you have to get out it is a lane reserved for people going faster than the people in the adjacent lane. So lets say 90% of people travel at 65-70 and the remaining 10% are split between people going 55-60 and people going over 70. Everybody gets to use the lane to pass the 55-60 people, BUT as soon as the 65-70 people have passed they must get back into the right lane. The over 70 people will spend the majority of their time in the passing lane just because they are in the top 10%, BUT even they have to move over when they are not activly passing anything.

The bigger issue here is people think the left lane is the "fast lane" when in fact it has always been the "passing lane." The difference is fast is different to different people, where passing is an action that you are either doing or not doing.