Oil Catch Can Hoses

Discussion in 'MINI' started by TGS91, Nov 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hey, we were talking about Oil Catch Can's a couple weeks ago. I've been rooting around EBay and there seems to be many choices at about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the cost of some of the MINI after market companies.

I noticed that most on EBay have a PVC/Silicon type hose that looks kinda thin. On some of the applications I've seen on MINI's there is what appears to be a pressure hose of some sort. Where would I get some of this. Any autoparts store? Suggestions?

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I use McMaster Carr a lot for hard to find parts. They also have fittings. Here is a link to the hose selections.
    McMaster-Carr

3. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    looks spot on

thanks Metalman!

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I just went to the auto parts store and got some heater core hose that fit the barbs.

5. nabeshin

nabeshin New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Lincoln, NE
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    This was what I did after the hoses that came with the kit started looking burnt and hard.

6. Boxcars

Boxcars New Member

May 27, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    tim
    i went to pep boys and bought goodyear gas and oil rated 3/8 inch hose a few bucks a foot,
    works great!
    boxcars

7. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It's always better to pick the correct hose for the application. A hose for an oil catch can should have good temperature resistance and be able to handle petroleum products versus say a water and antifreeze solution.

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Metalman,

The link you sent me had several choices. Question is what psi rated hose would be best for application?

9. Metalman

Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    My feeling is the psi (pressure) is not very important. If you look at the way MINI attaches the stock hose to the fitting on the valve cover (R56), it's just a push on with a decorative plastic clip. The OEM hose is not even reinforced. The nice thing about McMaster-Carr is the additional information they supply with their product. I don't know what diameter hose you need, but notice they give you the bend radius (indication of how tight a bend you can make). Look at the temperature range and stick with a grade designed for petroleum-based oils. The other nice thing about this company; they can custom make the hoses to your length and add special hose fittings for a cleaner installation vs say the standard method of using hose screw clamps.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    There shouldn't be enough vacuum to be of a concern. I don't even have hose clamps on mine.