1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Oil leak help...not Cabrio specific

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by smurfette26, Nov 22, 2010.

1. smurfette26

smurfette26 Club Coordinator

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hi all...disclaimer: I did try doing a search to see if there was a similar post on the problems I am experiencing but with my general lack of car knowledge and terms used I am not certain if there were already threads that covered my problem. If there are, please point me towards them and sorry for the duplicate post. If this isnt really a duplicate post, any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Some point in August I started noticing a small splotch of oil beneath my 2005 MC Cabrio (non S) automatic transmission. The spot of oil was between the size of a nickle and quarter and darker in color than the oil when I would check my oil level (which throughout this has remained constant). I would notice a new spot only if the car sat for more than four days. Didnt really think that much of it since it was so little oil loss and I wasnt seeing any oil loss as measured by the dipstick.

At the beginning of October I had to bring the car in for the state inspection so I brought it to the local dealer. They noted a leaking valve cover. After doing a bit of (quick) research we decided that by doing it ourselves we would only save about $100 and given that we were scheduled to leave on a vacation in a couple of days, it seemed to be a slightly involved project and that there was no telling how bad the weather would be when we got back (and, therefore how miserable it might be in upstate NY to try to work outside) we decided to just have the dealership change it right then and there.

We were gone about 10 days and there was no spot on the floor beneath the MINI when we returned. At the end of October I once again started noticing a small splotch of oil on the floor after the car would sit for several days. The spot of oil was about the same size as before, between a nickle and a quarter, but the color seems lighter. I wouldnt bet a lot on it but I am pretty certain the color is lighter. I didnt take any pictures before so nothing really to compare it to.

This past Saturday we were at the dealership to see the Countryman and looked in to see how busy they were on the service side. They were busy but were able to put the MINI up on a lift to check her over to look for any obvious issues. Since I had been driving her for about three weeks after the leaking had reoccurred, she was pretty messy underneath. They did clean her up and watch for a bit but no new oil was obvious. They said I can bring her in for a more thorough examine this week.

Does this sound like any common MINI illness? A reoccurring problem I kept seeing (on NAM) when trying to research this was a leaky oil pan gasket but the leaking was referred to as weeping...is the quantity of oil leaking that I described *weeping*? I was never a car enthusiast before getting the MINI in May 2009. I have come a long way but still lack a lot of knowledge and confidence when it comes to problems and repairs. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

2. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    It could be residual oil from the original leak finding its way to the ground (lighter color though makes this somewhat skeptical). I suggest that you powerwash the undercarriage and then see if the drippings continue. Keep close observation on your fluid levels. Oil has a way of finding strange places to accumulate especially when being moved rearward in a chassis with normal driving airflow.

3. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure it's oil? I thought the same thing this past summer, but it turned out to be the thermostst gasket leaking. I replaced it, cleaned any residual and it's been gone since.

Cheers
    Mr. Jim

4. smurfette26

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    When you say powerwash do you mean taking the MINI through a car wash that will do the under carriage? I generally only hand wash the MINI so the underside only gets a good washing once a year (after road salt season).

5. smurfette26

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have added the thermostat gasket to the list of things to research and/or ask about.

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Either that or use the wand, get down on your knees and spray the heck out of it. Not necessarily an easy task.

7. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    Possibility of a leaky dipstick tube seal or maybe a crank sensor seal?
    First thought was intercooler oil collection but ya gotta have an intercooler first. Thermostat gasket leak would leave blue Smurf juice so it can't be that.

8. smurfette26

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Well Smurfette isnt leaking any blue Smurf juice! :Thumbsup:

Initially I thought the oil might have been from me dripping some oil when I was checking the oil level, that was partly why I wasnt too concerned. From when I first noticed oil on the garage floor (August) until I took the MINI in for the state inspection and was told the valve cover gasket was cracked I saw oil only 2 or 3 distinct times and I had checked my oil about as many times. Of course now that I am noticing the pattern of only seeing oil after the MINI has sat for four or more days, that probably only happened two or three times when the weather was nicer (August to October). Now that it has turned colder I would say I only take her out once or twice a week and I have noticed three new spots of oil in the little more than three weeks since the spots started re-appearing. So that was a long winded way of me saying I will add leaky dipstick seal to the list. Thanks!

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Typical oil leak locations: oil pan gasket, crank sensor o-ring, main output shaft, and crank pulley seal. If you can look up under the car, try to trace the trail of oil and grime.

10. smurfette26

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    We had her up on a lift and the oil/ grime was blown all around.

Crank pulley seals are only on S models, right?

11. Mini Q

Mini Q Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Fullerton, CA
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Had my oil pan gasket replaced 3 times withing 2 years, at 2 different dealers. I was told the crank sensor seal is also a common leak.

12. Commander Dan

Commander Dan New Member

May 13, 2009
    Medical Equipment Service
    Alpharetta, GA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed a bit of oil on my garage floor. (It's an '07 justa cabrio) Had it checked out this morning, and yep - oil pan gasket. I'm tempted to just get some kitty litter...

13. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Commander Dan, replace the crank sensor seal first - I think you'll find that will cure your leak. I've seen a bunch of so-called pan gasket leaks and in every case I'm convinced it was the crank sensor leaking oil down that runs around the pan and makes it look like the pan is leaking. I think that's why so many pan gaskets get replaced, they don't check for the real cause of the leak!

The pan gasket itself is a thick neoprene gasket with crush sleeves moulded in, I really doubt that's where it's leaking.

Our club just pulled the oil pan off a 170K mile car that looked like it was leaking from the pan - turned out to be the crank sensor - but because the oil goes everywhere, and follows the edge of the pan itself, it looks like it's coming from there.

Do the easy and cheap repair first, then wash it down and see if that isn't it.

14. Commander Dan

Commander Dan New Member

May 13, 2009
    Medical Equipment Service
    Alpharetta, GA
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tip, Minidave! I'll keep you guys posted...

15. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0