Oliveira crashes out of Rally Argentina

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, May 31, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Daniel Oliveira said a mistake with his pace notes caused him to crash out of Rally Argentina on Saturday's opening stage.

The Brazil World Rally Team driver restarted on day two following his retirement on Friday when his MINI John Cooper Works WRC stopped with damaged suspension.

“This was my mistake,†said the 25-year-old. “I did some mistakes on the notes. I put the left corner long, long, but I forgot to put tightens at the end. So we went a little bit off and it was not possible to come back. We touched the guardrail, the car make a spin and the front of the car go directly into the rail.â€

With the Prodrive-run car suffering significant front-end damage, Oliveira and Portuguese navigator Carlos Magalhaes will not be able to return to the action on Sunday’s final day.

“The accident happened 11 kilometres into stage eight as Daniel negotiated a Tarmac section after the observatory,†said BWRT’s Paul Howarth. “The car struck an Armco barrier and collected a lot of frontal damage in the impact. This is an important event for Daniel - it’s considered his home rally - but unfortunately the extent of the damage means he won’t restart on Sunday.â€

Oliveira added: “It can happen like this. Next time we’ll be better. This is not so nice a way to finish this rally. We look forward to Greece [next month].â€

Source - World Rally Championship