Interior 1st Gen OMP Hub/Aftermarket Steering Wheel Ready To Go In, Need a How- To

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by minsanity, Dec 20, 2012.

1. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Hi, guys! I've been searching high & low for a clear & detailed steering wheel swap DIY to no avail. Any help w/ pics on resistor, horn & retention of turn indicator canceling would be so much appreciated.

I've an 02 R53 w/ the 2 spoke MFSW.
    Ready to go in are an OMP Hub w/ resistor + an old school Luisi wheel w/ horn button (1 plug terminal for + & 1 spring wire that helps press fit tight into the boss kit as ground). Since Luisi & OMP don't share same allen bolt PCD, I also have an adapter ready.

I've seen the 2 spoke non MFSW removal. Questions are:
    1. There are 2 airbag plugs-green & black. OMP only has 1 resistor. This goes to the green & leave the black alone?
    2. Is there any drilling on the OMP hub to accommodate turn signal canceling retention?
    3. Do I have to cut off the stock horn plug & connect to the new wheel? Brown wire as ground?
    4. Any chance of having the radio & cruise buttons transferred to work?

Hoping for tips or maybe a complete HOW-To Thread. Thanks & Merry Christmas, guys!

2. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    I would think that the resistor is replacing the airbag so it would go in-between the two wires not to just one. But check the schematic first.

3. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    I understand, Jim. What's making me doubt is that behind the airbag, there are 2- 2wire plugs. 1 green, 1 black. However, the OMP hub just came w/ 1 resistor & this thread I found only used it for the green 1. Link:
    Drivers airbag wiring.

I'm getting conflicting views, some say I'd need 2 resistors; 1 for each plug.While the link above just says green.:confused5:
    My intention is to make this reversible should I go back stock MFSW. I need a good horn & functioning signal indicator cancel w/o having the airbag light triggered as I don't have access to an airbag reset tool.

Was planning to tackle this Christmas wish over the holiday break. Hoping for proper guidance from anyone who've tried this swap w/o hitches to play Santa. I swear I've been very behaved & good all year!:biggrin5:

Thanks much!

4. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    Ok so each plug had two wires, gotcha. Then the blacks are grounds going in and out so it makes sense that the resistor go between the two greens. I'll check out the link and get back with ya.

5. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0
    That thread looks good, but I think he thinks the resistor is what he's calling the fuse.

They are some guy guys over there and someone should answer your question.

Let us know how you make out.

6. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Thanks much, Jim! You're right. It actually seems like a fused resistor. If the black is ground, then that makes perfect sense havin' just 1 resistor. I shall await your feedback on schematics. I haven't had much feedback over the other side of the pond yet.
    Appreciate your help, Mr. Jim! A blessed Christmas!

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    When I went to an aftermarket wheel I had the Cruise Control buttons relocated. Look to the right of the wheel in the image below.

[​IMG]

8. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    :drool ENVY!!!!! Wow, Nathan, I recall seeing a thread that showed that! What did you ever do w/ the airbag, its resistors & that dreaded/feared airbag light? Would you know if removing the airbag fuse do the trick of not triggering the light even w/o resistors? I know, I presume I'd have no functional airbags after pulling that fuse?

Could you spare some time for a HOW-TO? Pleeez?
    A huge THANKS!!!! Enjoy the Holidays!

9. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Put a piece of black electrical tape on the back of the gauge face so I can't see the light.

10. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Great answer to a trick question!:lol:
    That should be my last resort should things not go as intended. Also, that speedo gauge face removal seems pretty messy. Mine being an 02 is a bit mor complex, right?

Is it too late for a HOW-TO, Nathan?
    If I transfer my cruise buttons, those from the 2 spoke won't look close to perfect as yours! Great job there!

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd send a PM to Chase, I know he did this recently.

There is an How To for an R56 Seat Swap that has some info on Airbag resistors.

12. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Nathan! Loved what you did!:Thumbsup:

13. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    After all your replies; Nathan's pic & electrical tape SRS light cover; & corresponding w/ rkde across the pond, I finally found the courage to pursue my Christmas wish.....Thanks all. rkde was instrumental as he emailed me detailed guidance on what to look out for, how the SRS system works & some good encouragement not to fear the light.:biggrin5: My appreciation goes out to this very busy guy w/ his epic chop-top R53 build everyone in the MINI world is waiting for! He still spared time to play Santa! Hats off!:Thumbsup:
    Though I made 1 wrong move & triggered the light (no1 elses fault but mine alone), I took comfort in the fact that it won't be permanent. Everything else from the horn to signal indicator cancel to the installation was perfect!:Thumbsup:
    I did not cut the protruding stub but superimposed the stockwheel's hole for this onto the new hub & drilled a 5/16" hole. Perfect fit.:Thumbsup:
    Here are a coupla crappy iphone pics. Thanks & Merry Christmas, M/A!

Attached Files:

14. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Wow!

That looks awesome. I'd love to do this someday, but haven't summed up the courage as of yet.

15. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Just order a MINI specific OMP hub, get an extra 3.9ohm resistor & any MOMO, OMP, Sparco wheel, you'll be good. When your ready, just holler if you need guidance. Merry Christmas.

16. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, could you throw a link up for the cruise control relocate, I did a search & couldn't find it.

I had been working on using my radio volume controls for my nitrous buttons, but have now decided to go with an aftermarket steering wheel & use the horn buttons on it instead, but I really do want to keep my cruise.

Thanks.

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    That's cause there was never one written.

In short, the wires that connect to the Cruise button were ID'ed in the steering column harness. Then removed from the bundle and moved to the current switch location. A hole was cut for the switch to fit into. The switch is mounted with some homemade brackets. Then plugged in. I had nothing to do with the work, it was all done by a shop in Dallas.

18. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
  19. minsanity

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Great job on the relocation, Nathan. Was tempted to find a way to do the same, but the 2-spoke buttons wouldn't look anywhere as neat. Just gave up, for now.